Moderator: BR796164

<<

Rado

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun May 14, 2006 8:37 pm

Cut/Newly discovered material

First of all, let me introduce myself.

My name is Radek Smektala, and I'm a writer/game designer/game journalist from Poland. The Blade Runner game fascinated me for ages and it's great to find a place such as this.

After deciding that THIS time I won't be able to find anything new replaying the game, I tried to acces the files to see if I missed anything. Here, I would like to report my findings and compare notes (most of below info comes from sound files).

CRYSTAL

* Mainframe Notes

What I suppose are mainframe entrances can be found, on which Crystal reports her findings to the Lieutenant. They often refer to McCoy dealings and suggest she is able to retest (V-K) subjects, sometimes getting different results, and even kill them off-screen. I know such system was advertised, but I never noticed it working in-game (if one does not count other officers finding clues that player missed, without commentary).

RUNCITER

* Final Confrontation

From the dialogue I found, it seemed that Runciter could be revisited later in the game, confronted about Lucy or the fake animals, and even killed.

I was sure this was cut, but after conducting a little experiment, I was schocked to find that part IS left intact. Reallly, after eight years with BR, I didn't even hope I'll see anything new.

All you have to do is talk with the Twins after finding the envelope, go to Runciter and draw your gun. A conversation will start, and after that, you will be able to shoot him, if only to hear another of Ray's monologues.

* Voight-Kampff

The whole V-K session with Runciter, as well as Crystal's notes reffering to such an occurence (she comments on wether the results were right or wrong) exist in files. Apparently, Runciter could be either a replicant or a human, and his grunts (suggesting a fight) are also included.

CRAZY LEGS LARRY

* Voight-Kampff

The V-K session with Larry apparently wasn't recorded, but Crystal's notes reffer to it. She also comments on whether the player retired him or not (which may have been possible).

RACHEL

* Second confrontation

Ray apparently meets Rachel again (from what I gather, in his elevator). There is a suggestion that Deckard lives in the same building as McCoy. Rachel and the player make a connection, after Ray tells her that he has been framed. He asks her to vouch for him, but she refuses.

* Retirement

I'm not sure if I'm right about this one, but there are sound bites in which Guzza tells Ray that he shouldn't have retired "Tyrell's niece, for God's sake", and that Bryant wants his badge. I'm pretty sure such an action would end the game.

OTHER

* Ray turning himself in

There's a pretty heated exchange between a generic police officer and Ray. Ray assures the officer that he is not a replicant, that he has a proof, and that Crystal will vouch for him. The officer replies, that it will all end peacefully, as soon as Ray drops his gun. I'm guessing that would lead to the "They didn't even put me on the machine" monologue, and the game would continue from the final act as usual.

I may have missed something. I would be grateful for information about those scenes - can they be accesed in-game, or are they definitely cut? What else have YOU found?

Oh, and sorry for my butchered English.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon May 15, 2006 7:21 am

I did that file listening once (and promised to make an article of it that never wrote, me lazy chap) and I am sure that two of these things can't be triggered to happen in game: Rachel's conversation in McCoy's elevator and the voluntary turn-in. As well as the ending when the dog survives (that sound file of Ray saying "aaahh, dog breath" is a clue that maybe you could get an ending with Maggie alive). I'm sure there are others but I haven't played the game in a long time now and don't remember well.

But sure, in the final product you can detect some minor loose ends. The thing is, IMO, that the devs had more ideas for story branching than they could implement in time. You can notice in little things... One of these, I think, "Run away with Dektora" ending was initially supposed to be different but they just made it converge to Larry's place to have a similar ending with Lucy's, just to save resources and time.

BTW, be very welcome to the forums Redo!
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

sadik

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat May 27, 2006 6:40 pm

i ve played the game many times so im gonna lay out what have i seen of these scenes:
a)i ve encountered runciter later in the game as u say ..pulled my gun...oftened wasted him...but never seen any real consequence except when after u r framed often u hear from guzza that u shouldnt go arround killing humans...never have i pointed out any indication that runciter might be a rep
b)never encountered anything that would suggest that crystal gets involved except some phrases that "the other hunter will come for us" or something like that or whe u hunt izo n sometimes crystal pops up n kill or arrest him n perhaps some other rather insignificant phrases nothing worth noticing
c)the voluntary surrender only done after killing guzza n takin the briefcase with the evidence
now that i ve done with this i m thinkin thats rather irrelevant with the issue posted by rado lOL (n just wanted to say how aggrevatin these loose ends were when i was playin the game)
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:59 am

There is pretty a lot of diffrent stuff in the game.
after 9 years i'm still able to figure out new things!!

Still my number 1 game ever!
<<

br_collector

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:52 am

maybe I'm just slow, but I have recently just figured out you can get a photo of dektora behind mccoy in animoid row from izo's camera and the scorpians in her arms. I always wondered why deckard isn't in this photo sometimes!
The only crumple zone on a Cobra is the other car
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:57 am

I have ripped all the audiofiles once, but never got through them all, there are like hundreds and hundreds of them... it's nice to see that someone has made that effort. :)
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:36 pm

i had played the game to completion about a year ago - and thought that such references like runciters were just sub-plots within the game to make it more playable.

after reading the latest book (reviewed on bladezone.com) it all become painfully clearer.

Most of the story was taken from the original DADOES.
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:39 pm

nails6365 wrote:Most of the story was taken from the original DADOES.

Certainly inspired by DADoES! :D

The name Runciter is a character from another of PKD's books, "UBIK".

Cheers!
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:15 pm

ok so i flicked through the book :wink:
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

BR1661

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:30 am

Which Program??

hey bladers!

Whats the best program to use to rip audio files off the blade runner game CD?? thnx
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:33 am

I found Runciter later once when I got stuck. I decided to try an experiment and sung like a canary.

Killing him isn't the goal; getting the additional info is.

In one version I managed to kill just about everyone including the patrolmen and Guzza.

I even managed to get Lucy.

By the end I had done an Man's work!

Very weird version.

Return to The Blade Runner Game