FAQ  •  Login

What about Tyrell?

<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:56 am

What about Tyrell?

Here is a twist on the debate...what about Tyrell?

In one version, (I don't even remember where I saw it) Tyrell is revealed to be a replicant. When I asked Mr. Turkel about it, he remembered actually shooting a scene where he was killed by Batty and his head split open to reveal artifical parts.

Yet in most of the versions of the film he does not appear in any way to be a replicant...except for two clues:

1. He never allows Deckard to VK him.

2. He is at first startled by Batty's appearance. The attempted break-in should have warned him and later dialog reveals that Batty should have been expected. "He is too good of a chess player to reveal himself so early".

So, was Tyrell a replicant??
Last edited by Masao on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:03 am

Re: What about Tyrell?

Masao wrote:In one version, (I don't even remember where I saw it) Tyrell is revealed to be a replicant.

Interesting. I'd like to see that version as well.
One of the early versions of the script reveals that the true Tyrell lies dead in cryo sarcophagus... but a movie version? Are you sure?

shooting a scene where he was killed by Batty and his head split open to reveal artifical parts.

Just...wow.
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:42 am

He actually said "springs and things popped out" of his head.
<<

endzem

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Welcome, Masao. You've been a "busy bee" resurecting a lot of old threads. Cool.

When/How did you meet Joe Turkell?
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:16 am

It was pretty easy to meet Mr. Turkel (he pronouces it Tur- Kell). He was showing up pretty regularly at shows in the L.A. area back in 2003. Mostly he was showing up at the comicbook conventions at the Shrine Autitorium at USC.

I met him again later at Imagine Nation Expo in Las Vegas about 2004.

Apparently he keeps busy going to shows and signing autographs for his favorite charities when he is not doing voice work. He mentioned being an announcer for sattelite radio. If you think you recognized his voice, you were probably right.

I was lucky enough to get some pretty good shots from him (one was with Sean Young, now I have to get her autograph) and on one autograph he signed the printed box my 1/6 Rachel figure.

He seems to be one of the more accessable stars from the film. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up at SD comic con. I know that James Hong shows up there on occasion.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Hmm... I'm not doubting your meeting with Joe Turkel, but he always came off as being off his rocker during the interviews I've read.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:25 am

<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:31 pm

I think the Dr Tyrell is possibly a replicant because I feel strange how he lets himself be killed by Roy Batty without a move and because his flat is strangely not very safe.

Perhaps the true Dr Tyrell left for another planet and let his replicant replacing him on earth to be an illusion of target for the bad replicants.

Moreover, if Deckard looks less strong than the others, it's maybe because he's not as nasty as them but he bears particularly well the fights with Priss and Batty: although he's hurted, he's always perfectly conscious while the others lose a lot of their energy and die because of it. This is the trap of Deckard: he makes them waste their time, this precious time that they miss so much and would like to extend!

Rachel looks like a genius among the bad replicants because she tries to arrange her problem with kindness while so many people think intelligence is in the superior strength :lol: 8) .
Last edited by Rachel on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:03 am

It also doesn't hurt that Rachael is a better shot than Deckard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 am

I found Deckard very cute too! Charming smile, looking so quiet in his flat, tender, passionate and secret. Have you seen his intense stare when he'd like to kiss her? All the sensitive women reconnoitred their shyness during this scene :oops: . Very good. I like his clothes too in this movie.

Tyrell could have saved his life lying to the replicant Roy giving him the illusion that he could extend him, then enter his andro?d system and disconnect his aggressiveness ability. Was he under the effect of surprise? He knew that this kind of andro?ds could create new thoughts, out of control. Has he programmed his own creatures to kill him as a fantasy of perverse genius?

I've seen a French double of this actor and he looked kind like a father :wink: .
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:54 am

Rachel wrote:Was he under the effect of surprise?

this probably has something to do with what i was wondering HERE? i think that's a very interesting point to debate on to open new perspectives, yet underrated from the most part of us BR fans.

ps: congrats for your "Rachael pose" avatar :D
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:34 pm

Masao wrote:It also doesn't hurt that Rachael is a better shot than Deckard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rachel was rather close when she shot Leon.

Anyway.

The VK thing is moot. Being VK'd is beneath a man like him. He was the bartender from Shining dammit!

Also, it is a little startling to see a renegade replicant at your bedroom threshold.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:56 pm

Cut from the movie was Sebastian using a bunch of keys and cards to get into Tyrell's, even before the elevator stopped half way up, and alerted Tyrell. That is supposedly why Roy had Sebastian's jacket when he left to use the security cards again. It may have sped the plot along more, but it took away some of the tension in the script as well. Hopefully some of it will be in the extras discs.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:17 pm

No need to hope. It's there.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:16 pm

Man, I realy can not wait for this disc set any longer :D
Next