FAQ  •  Login

Original Script - Definative Proof?

<<

Big_EE

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:45 pm

Original Script - Definative Proof?

If you read HAMPTON FANCHER's original 1980 script, which, is NOT the shooting script, Deckard is human. And has a much more detailed back history, which makes it nearly impossible to believe he could be a rep. .
Now bear in mind the many of the lines in the film were improvised by the actors, and /or changed by the execuitives as the film was made, and not by Ridley. And that the story was essentially based on Fancher's script, you have to say that Deckard was intended by a majority of the principals to be Human.
Ridley coming back to the film after a period of years, and making his humanity ambigious, is not I think sufficient proof, that he was replicant all along.
In summary have Human = PKD, Mr Fancher, and Mr Ford, The Actors and Executives
Replicant = Mr Scott.

minor points....'You've Done a Man's Job sir' Is unambigous praise when spoken by an Englishman, or in this case a man with english colonial roots, and intonations.
'Too bad she won't live, but then again who does' implies either Deckard, or Gaff, or the longevity termination would Kill Rachel. In the Original Script Deckard does it.

NB Also the original script DOES have Deckard voicing over, so the myth that this was added by the studio after the film was made is not true.

Ian
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:53 pm

do you have an electronic copy you could post online? if not, how do you know all this, did u buy a copy?
<<

Big_EE

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:17 pm

Here's an interview http://www.ctv.es/USERS/canetor/hampton.htm and here are is the download site http://www.brmovie.com/Downloads/BR_Scripts.htm enjoy....
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:19 pm

Bravo! Big_EE!!
<<

BRmovie

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:31 pm

Interesting but rather naive points being made. The 1980 script is quite fascinating (which is why I make it available on-line, together with the 1981 script), but this doesn't prove anything other than the scriptwriters original intentions. And yes, both scriptwriters wanted to suggest a possibility in peoples minds of that "What if...." Neither of them wanted to state it either way, but both were writing Deckard as human.

Many of the lines were not changed by the actors and producers actually. Scott spent huge amounts of time with Fancher for many months and then with Peoples and then created the final shooting script by mixing various scripts they'd created. It is very much Scott's film as much as he gives credit to Fancher in particular. The producers influences are significant, but not in every scene. The mix of those who still say either Rep or Human is quite diverse amongst actors and crew/execs.

"You've done a man's job, sir." is still ambiguous as it could so easily be irony, although I think it is a straight comment myself. (And incidentally, I am an English Man.) This and other implications are actually inferences by the viewer depending on their POV. None of them are categorical.

Yes, the story of the voiceovers dates back way into the original 1980 script, but it was still forced by the producers. That is because Scott et al had decided they would not use the VO. Or rather, Scott in his last version before yet another revision included only the rooftop Deckard speech - the one bit from original script. the rest *was* forced by the producers, was written by Kibbee who should have already retired and involved Ford coming bacy yet again to do yet another voiceover despite hating even the concept of a VO.
Visit www.BRmovie.com - Web home of alt.fan.blade-runner, The Blade Runner FAQ, News, Encyclopedia, Analysis, BR Game, BR comic, BR Magazine, fan fiction and lots more!
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:18 am

Actually, I would have liked to have read the ORIGINAL script. I know someone must still have it be cause it was sold on ebay some years back.

Its title was Dangerous Days.

Any chance of reading that one?

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?