FAQ  •  Login

The Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel Debate

Should there be a prequel/sequel to Blade Runner?

yes
49%
no
51%

Total votes : 39
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:59 pm

The Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel Debate

As you can see in this forum, there has been ALOT of talk of this over the years. Participate in the poll and see where we are in this debate!

Cheers!
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:04 pm

Sequel, hands down. I don't see much potential for a prequel. The Nexus 6 seemed to be a unique series of replicants because they were psychologically the same as humans, albeit less developed due to their lack of memories.

I'd say a film of Blade Runner Down, but having never read the script, I can't be certain it would be a good idea. My suggestion would to be to ignore Deckard and Rachael altogether and focus on a different Blade Runner or maybe even a replicant as the protagonist.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:27 pm

i'd like to see the creation of a blade runner. knowing that they're replicants, show how the LAPD goes about obtaining a replicant, making sure he has a history, and how they place him at his job without suspecting hes a replicant. they can take off where deckard left off. they need to replace him and they cant afford to let him run off like deckard did.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Roy WM

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:20 pm

The idea of a sequel/prequel isn't nearly as important as the love and talent behind it. For instance, I'd ask for a rope six feet in length and a stool to kick if someone like Roland Emmerich or Uwe Boll was billed as director, but I'd smuggle a bottle of moonshine into my house if Joss Wheden or Mamoru Oshii was attached.

I vote yes.
"He chay you brahe rurruh."

<<

THX1138

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:11 pm

Roy WM wrote:I'd smuggle a bottle of moonshine into my house if Joss Wheden or Mamoru Oshii was attached.

I vote yes.

Let's not forget, Joss Whedon was the mastermind behind Alien: Resurrection. I'm not positive I would trust Whedon with the Blade Runner name. Other names, however, have come up in this debate: David Fincher, James Cameron and Ridley Scott (obviously). Any of these I would have absolutely no hesitation about hiring, but Joss....eh.

There's a new director worthy of the job, I think. Christopher Nolan, the mastermind behind Batman Begins. He borrowed so many images and themes from Blade Runner and he did it so well. I think he would be a nice choice.

Has anyone considered Tony Scott?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Roy WM

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:28 pm

THX1138 wrote:Let's not forget, Joss Whedon was the mastermind behind Alien: Resurrection. I'm not positive I would trust Whedon with the Blade Runner name.

His writing skills are far more polished than they were 8 years ago, and he's definately a fan of Blade Runner because there were a lot of homages to the film in Serenity.

Simply put, by tampering with the Alien franchise he took a leak in the mouth of christ but with Serenity he's proven his worth as one of the most loving directors out there on the world plate.
"He chay you brahe rurruh."

<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:07 am

The only ones with the sensibility to make a BR sequel have no experience in sci fi.

Joel and Ethan Coen would be a great choice for this project.

Their understanding of classic film making could correct a lot of the errors (Yes, I said errors) of Ridley Scott.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:19 am

I would love to visit the world of BR again. The most important thing would be the mood and atmosphere of it. If it is done with the detail that Ridley put into the first one and with the acting talent. I think it may end up being just fine. Also the soundtrack should fit as well as the Vangelis one. I would prefer it not turned into an action flick. The problem with it would mostly be money and hollywood agenda. If it can't prove to make money it will have its budget be far too small or turned into a michael bay mindless action vehicle. As much as CGI lends itself to too many posiblilities and the bad choices that follow. A primarily CGI film could be done with restraint that could also keep its budget low(see sin city, 300). also an anime style film might also not be too bad in the spirit of akira or ghost in tne shell. If the Scott brothers worked together on it it could also be an interesting film. Otherwise we will just end up with a Total Recall or Soldier. Sequel, prequal=yes. Remake=no
<<

Rado

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Roy WM wrote:The idea of a sequel/prequel isn't nearly as important as the love and talent behind it.

How about Frank Darabont on screenplay and Guillermo Del Toro as a director?
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:48 pm

My initial reaction was "Oh GOD no."

My current reaction is "Ridley and no one else, ever."

And I hold by that.

I still don't think we need a sequel.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:34 am

deleted wrote:My current reaction is "Ridley and no one else, ever."

So what did you vote then, deleted? Would you be all for it if Sir Ridley directed?

My 2 cents:
Sidequels - Okay
Remake, sequel, or prequel - NO [-X
ImageImageImage
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:16 am

I voted no. I'm saying is he's the only one I'd ever trust, and even then.

(I think "piss" and "asshole" are uncensored now, btw.)
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:26 am

How about:

Steven Spielberg's Blade Runner starring Ben Affleck,. Directed by Michael Bay

Deckard- Ben Affleck
Batty - Christian Bale
Tyrell- Russell Crowe
Leon- Kevin Costner
Pris- Halle Berry
Rachael- Tyra Banks
Zhora- Britney Spears

Ron Moore's "Blade Runner Re-imagined" starring Madonna.

Deckard- Madonna
Batty - Sharon Stone
Tyrell- Edward James Olmos
Leon- Joss Auckland
Gaff - Paris Hilton
Chew - Jessica Simpson
Zack (replaces Rachael)- Paul Rubins

Notice that the Ron Moore cast no longer has the female roles. :lol:

The California Department of Corrections production of Blade Runner

Deckard- Robert Downey Jr.
Batty - Jean Claude Van Damme
Tyrell- Robert Blake
Leon- Russell Crowe
Pris- Lindsay Lohan
Rachael- Halle Berry
Zhora- Britney Spears

Music by Phil Spectre
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:47 am

Of course, with new CGI techniques, we could have Clint Eastwood directing Electric Guns of our Fathers, Starring Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry Deckard.

"I know, you're wondering: did he fire nine or ten shots?. Well, to tell the truth in all this excitement I forgot myself, but being this is a standard PKD blaster and can blow your Replicant head clean off. You got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well? Do you...Punk?!"

Go ahead, run my blade.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:06 pm

deleted wrote:I voted no. I'm saying is he's the only one I'd ever trust, and even then.

That's the spirit!

deleted wrote:(I think "piss" and "asshole" are uncensored now, btw.)

Oh, I'm quite aware of that... I've seen much worse cussing in your sigs before. :) I was only being silly by censoring myself. I think you know me well enough by now to know how often I like to change my sig and av, so I've done it again :P

BTW, Masao... Those are some of the most frightening visions of the future imaginable :lol:
ImageImageImage
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel