Moderator: BR796164

<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:38 pm

My vision of a game adaptation

Blade Runner game idea

My interpretation is that it should not only be an adaptation of the film, but also an expansion of it in the sense that certain scenes in the game could've happened in the film but aren't shown on-screen. It would be a first-person shooter in the vein of Perfect Dark.

Chapter 1: Yukon Hotel

You will begin by entering the Yukon Hotel, looking for clues relating to the escaped replicants. Once that is completed, meet with Gaff outside with his Police Spinner. As you leave, the radio will pick up a call reporting a suspicious vehicle moving at great speed throughout the city. Pursue the car and navigate through the Los Angeles skyscrapers. The suspect will be trapped in an abandoned robotics factory.

Chapter 2: Ambush

Once in the factory, you?ll discover that this is the suspect?s base of operations. Thugs armed with shotguns and laser tubes attack from all angles. You must locate the proper controls to turn the power on in the factory. Once done, you?ll face the suspect: Dominic, an assault rifle-wielding gang leader. You will engage in a gunfight with the entire factory as the battleground. Once he is defeated you apprehend him and question him. You then learn that someone hired Dominic?s gang for protection in exchange for Tyrell Corporation secrets to sell on the black market.

Chapter 3: A Trail of Leads

The mission begins when you must use the Esper computer to analyze a photograph for potential clues. Once done, you must head into the city and consult an expert on fish with the scale you collected in Chapter 1. After being informed that it is a snake scale, you must locate Abdul Ben-Hassan. Although due to your notoriety, many people on the streets will be looking to kill you.

Chapter 4: The Thrill of the Chase

After learning from Ben-Hassan the buyer of the snake scale, you enter an exotic bar. You must interrogate the owner, Taffey Lewis, before continuing the mission. Following the questioning, you will find a Miss Salome, an alias for the replicant Zhora. After realizing that you are a cop, she will escape into the streets. You must quickly navigate through the city streets and retire her while avoiding civilian casualties. When Zhora is retired, you must locate Inspector Bryant for further instructions. You are informed that the Tyrell Corporation?s experimental replicant, Rachael, has gone missing. You are ordered to retire her. The next objective is to return to your car. But before you do that, you must face the replicant Leon. You must fight hand to hand as well as run to defeat him. Overpowered by Leon?s brute strength, Rachael kills him.

Chapter 5: In Pursuit

The police spot Rachael while with you in the city streets. At the wheel, you must lose the police before they locate and retire Rachael. She is necessary in order to solve the case!
Chapter 6: An Anonymous Tip

While at home, you receive a phone call from Inspector Bryant ordering you to investigate an anonymous tip regarding a Replicant Dealer. After arresting him, you discover that it?s a trap set by the replicants to eliminate you. Worse yet: the gang has obtained information on the Tyrell Corporation?s Nexus 7. You will need to track down the thug holding the Nexus 7 designs while fighting off the thugs trying to cover his escape. The showdown with the thug is on a busy highway. The thug is also carrying a grenade launcher. Civilian casualties must be minimized.

Chapter 7: Bradbury Apartments

Upon arresting the thug, it?s discovered that the information is fake. The gang was led to believe they were getting legitimate corporate secrets in exchange for killing you. Not only that, but Dr. Tyrell has been murdered. You are given the address to Bradbury Apartments. You must first face the acrobatic replicant, Pris. Once that objective is completed, you will face the final replicant, the near-invincible combat model called Roy. He will engage in a game of cat-and-mouse, fighting you hand-to-hand. Eventually you will reach the roof where the battle will be determined.

Chapter 8: Life or Death

Admiring your fighting spirit, Roy spares you from death. Before expiring to his 4-year life-span, he relates his experiences to you. Gaff meets with you on the roof, alerting you to the fact that Rachael is next. The police are in the building and you must fight them off and get to your car before they retire Rachael. With little time left, you must find the quickest route to your home.

THE END

You arrive at home, discovering that Rachael is alive and well. The two of you rush to leave and discover an origami unicorn. A calling card from Gaff. You understand that he let her live and you both enter the elevator and leave.

Other Features

Multiplayer: Engage in a 4-player deathmatch. Available characters: Deckard, Rachael, Roy, Zhora, Leon, Pris, Bryant, Holden, Dominic, Ben-Hassan, and Gaff.

Shooting Range: Test your marksmanship at the police station?s shooting range. The higher your proficiency, the more weapons you will gain access to.

Endurance: Survive as many waves of enemies as possible.

Road Rage: Drive through the city in either the car or spinner. Missions include time attack, racing, and battle.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:58 pm

I would definitely buy your game, simply because I would buy almost anything with the Blade Runner label on it... :shock:

However, because it's just my opinion, I have a few criticisms/remarks about your idea and my idea regarding another BR game.

I like your idea of being able to play the movie and explore the plausibility of events that could have happened before the filmed events in the movie. Except I would also want to be able to make choices that you, the player, playing as Deckard could have made in the movie but didn't.

1."Would you as the player come across elements in the game that would make Deckard question his humanity on whether he was a Replicant or not?"
2."If Deckard hadn't dropped his gun climbing up to the roof of Sebastian's apartment, would he have been able to retire Roy?"
3."Would you retire Rachael and keep your position as a Blade Runner?"
I'm barely skimming the surface on what you could do or not do if you were playing as Deckard in a game version of the movie.
On the whole, I see this Blade Runner game as more "Role Playing" than shooter, such as Deus Ex.

If playing as Deckard wasn't enough, perhaps you could play as Roy, Holden, Gaff, or Leon. Each character would of course play their scenes from the movie, but as you suggest, go off and do the things we didn't see happen, thereby enabling the story to change... For example - If playing as Holden you managed to get the better of Leon before he nearly kills you, you would then be sent off to retire Deckard and Rachael as Holden's conclusion story.
Since I'm the creator of this game I would omit the happy ending of Deckard and Rachael escaping the metropolis in favor of them fleeing to another part of the city or going Off-World. It could possibly be your job as Holden or Gaff to stop them from going Off-World if you were playing their stories...

There are a million story add-on ideas you could do with a game/movie version that I'm suggesting.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:43 am

Ooouch my... Kaneda, I think you just laid the plot for that lame action-movie remake of BR that ?I'm afraid? we'll be getting way before the SE-DVD ever comes out! (or instead of it).

Shakes? Me too. I get 'em bad.

No offense. I love FPS games and you have some cool ideas there, but wat I just wrote was what flashed through my mind just as I was reading your post. Would I play it? Of course. I'd need to have the reference. ;)

PS. That's right NoneoftheAbove, I've always said Deus Ex 1 gameplay style (with newer engine, state of the art AI of course) would be the only way to go for another Blade Runner game. Do I have to say it'd have to be PC game, not consoley? But consoley it shall be, if it happens.

Not to imply that there aren't truly great games for consoles.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:17 pm

I don't think Kaneda's idea was that bad.

It's a good start for a game, as were my ideas.

However I want to point out again their idea is obviously more action oriented...
Blade Runner isn't what I would call an action film with characters chasing each other with grenade launchers. It's not that grenade launchers or heavy weaponry don't exist in the BR universe, they were simply not the focus of the story.

With something like Blade Runner, I'd want to see the game carry the same atmosphere, mood, and feeling that the movie did so well. It probably couldn't be done if you were copying something like Perfect Dark or any other shooter without the moments of pause and reflection on things before you blast them.
Character interaction would be important, essential, even more so than the action elements. Essentially, I feel being able to play a good Blade Runner game should encompass all of the fan elements that go beyond what was possibly hinted at or even skipped on entirely within the film. Those fan elements should be the hidden surprises of the game, even if they were only conjecture on our part and not even presented in the movie. For me that's what would make the game the most fun - So would getting the chance to best Roy or Leon as Deckard... I'm simply trying to suggest those elements as being the side portions of the real meat and potatoes of the game. A game at it's core, an adaptable story of character interaction.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:46 pm

yeah, blade runner isnt an action flick. as i read the game description, i couldnt help but think "how is this blade runner?" is sounded more like a SWAT/Delta force game, the way i read it.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:53 pm

Very true. But I honestly don't think just walking around and gathering clues would make the most entertaining game (especially for a universe like Blade Runner). Certain elements that I would want that I failed to mention before were alternate paths, different character missions (such as playing Roy), and frequent use of the V-K and Esper. Admittedly, my previous description made it come off as being pure action, when in fact I would rather have things like that interspersed throughout. Alot of the time would involve finding the right paths and questioning pedestrians in the area. I also would like side-missions involving Deckard's investigating clues connected with his unicorn dream (perhaps some sort of Tyrell project)
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:25 pm

"I honestly don't think just walking around and gathering clues would make the most entertaining game, especially for a universe like Blade Runner".

You're absolutely right. I wouldn't want to be Deckard if I couldn't use my Blaster. But I wouldn't want to turn the game into a complete FPS shooter or 3rd person shooter like Max Payne.
I'd want something a little more involved.
I agree however, that clue gathering would indeed get old if that was the only part of the game.

There has to be a fine line of balance between role playing, detective stuff, and retiring Replicants. There isn't any game out there that I know of that would combine the right balance of gameplay elements I've already mentioned. Although when I mention Deus Ex as a model, I think I would prefer to use it's genre blending of FPS and RPG as an inspiration.

The Blade Runner game that is already out is somewhat close to an end result towards what I think we want. However it was a bit more "Adventure/Mystery" than what I think would be best. It's a good game, but it could have been more.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:28 pm

I've never played the game, but I'm told Snatcher is pretty good. Shares many similarities to BR.
-Shotaro Kaneda

<<

BR796164

Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:44 am

Mhmmmm...a really tasty concept!
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:17 am

yeah, we just closed the section for my ideas for a blade runner game or mod project. it became too inactive and had no purpose anymore.

kaneda: we used to have a whole section dedicated to ideas for different game engines to use and different story ideas. maybe i can have rich bring it back from "undeletion".
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:20 pm

So Kaneda, is this a serious idea you want to turn in a reality, or just a wild fun idea that makes us scream to get this game?

Actually i would be a great thing if a indie group of developers would dare the risk and make a another br game, but this time in a full 3d fps style envoriment.
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:58 pm

THX1138 wrote:yeah, we just closed the section for my ideas for a blade runner game or mod project. it became too inactive and had no purpose anymore.

kaneda: we used to have a whole section dedicated to ideas for different game engines to use and different story ideas. maybe i can have rich bring it back from "undeletion".

Personally, I'd like to see this thread become the new "BR Game" thread. But "He who is the Mod, makes the rules" :D

Btw, I would have been more of an active member of this thread, except my computer recently needed repair. So I had to be away for a couple days. Thankfully I'm back.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:59 pm

Noneoftheabove wrote:
THX1138 wrote:yeah, we just closed the section for my ideas for a blade runner game or mod project. it became too inactive and had no purpose anymore.

Personally, I'd like to see this thread become the new "BR Game" thread. But "He who is the Mod, makes the rules" :D

Btw, I would have been more of an active member of this thread, except my computer recently needed repair. So I had to be away for a couple days. Thankfully I'm back.

you dare mock the moderator? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:16 pm

Eeep.... Now I've done it.

In forgiveness I present thee, oh great one : Restricted Area

Anyone heard of this game besides me? It's from a German developer and is supposedly very similar in theme to Blade Runner. It's an RPG that has elements of Diablo and Fallout, two other RPGs you may have heard about.

The game is currently available in Germany, but I don't know if it's found a publisher within the United States. There are demos available for Restricted Area, however last time I looked there were no translated versions of the demo.

Return to The Blade Runner Game