FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner sequel books reading club

<<

citizenchris099

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:31 pm

Blade Runner sequel books reading club

I am a new PKD fan. Having read DADOES twice now I thought it was time to give the sequel novels a shot. K.W. Jeter was suposed to be a friend of PKD and his sequels are suposed to be more in his style than in the films style. Perhaps this is why some disaprove of these books. But I digress....I have just started on The Edge of Human and was wondering if anyone would like to join me in reading this and the subsequent instalments (including the UK only part 4)
I have only just begun so it wouldnt be hard to catch up. I was thinking it would be fun to discuss the novels w/those who are reading them w/me. If anyone is interested please let me know. We can set daily page count goals and whatnot.
Thanx guys
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:30 am

Sounds really fun. I have read them all...but it was a few years ago. However, I am finishing up one other book...with many others lined up to read! I'll give it some thought. We'll see if any other forum members are interested.

Cheers!
<<

citizenchris099

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:22 am

i've noticed that quite a few people have viewed the message but opted not to respond. Is this because they have read the novels and didnt like them? I feel that a sequel to BR would enevitably end up like 2010 did. Both the novel and the subsequent were good in there own right but not when compared to the original source material. The last time I tried to read The Edge of Human i had just viewed BR...this was a mistake. This time around, my mind is clear as I havnt viewed the film in many months.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:47 am

Yes...the books were not well recieved. In the forum there are many comments about them. The third book, "Eye and Talon" (4), had potential IMHO.

I'll re-read them someday. Not certain when. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!
<<

marcbrit

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:18 pm

I enjoyed them immensely

I find Jeter to be a very enjoyable read.

I realize the novels weren't well recieved and I think it is largely due to the fact that he took such beloved iconic characters and weaved an entire new scenario for some of them. I imagine that Jeter's storylines were met with a great deal of disgust on the part of many hard core BR enthusiasts.

I finished 2 and 3 some time ago and have just started Eye and Talon.

I liked them so much that I wound up buying first editions of each (it wasn't easy, believe me).

No doubt I will be reading them again, as I liked the story lines and plot development, as well as Jeter's descriptive style.

Feel free to contact me if you care to discuss.

Marc

marc9brit@hotmail.com
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:02 pm

I'd like to read, but can't find them anywhere.

I have a question to those who've read those novels, though. Who turns out to be replicant and who doesn't? Given the circumstances, I'll probably end up never reading them, so I'd like to know.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Kaneda. The books can be purchased at Amazon.com.

The Edge of Human

Blade Runner IV: Eye and Talon

Cheers!
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:25 pm

Just purchased a used hardcover of Edge of Human for .19. Good deal I must say. We'll see how this first one is before I decide to buy the others.
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:41 pm

Got Edge of Human and started reading it today. It seems pretty good so far. Some people seem a little out of character. To me, Sebastian doesn't seem like someone who would use profanity. It kind of takes away from his littleman personality. But I guess that's just me.
-Shotaro Kaneda

<<

DetDeck

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:03 pm

I read Edge of Human, and Replicant Nights a few years back. I enjoyed the novels because it was a way to continue the journey in a world seen through Deckard's eyes. Though I have yet to read Eye and Talon, I do plan to pick up a copy sometime in the near future.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:56 pm

Finished Edge of Human the other day. Absolutely loved it, although I realize why some people hate due to characters thought to be dead resurfacing and the portrayal of replicants (which makes more sense to me than what many refer to being nothing more than clones, but I'm not gonna start that argument).

Those who've read all the novels I ask which is the best?
-Shotaro Kaneda

<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:43 am

Kaneda wrote:Those who've read all the novels I ask which is the best?

Blade Runner 4: Eye and Talon.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:54 am

I heard it doesn't even really have Deckard in it, but a female Blade Runner takes the story. Kind of cool, I guess. No other BR material has had one before so it seems like a good idea.
-Shotaro Kaneda

<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:26 pm

I'm in the middle of Replicant Night, but there's still a question in my mind. Was Holden a rep like Batty said? I don't see any reason for him to lie as he had planned on working with him to hunt down Deckard. But the book never really appeared to resolve the issue, Holden is just working for the police again, that's all.
-Shotaro Kaneda

<<

BR796164

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:07 am

Edge of Human was nothing more but a set of obligatory conspiracy theories, and the characters were kinda shallow (especially Deckard in comparison with his DADOES counterpart). But it had good action scenes (i liked the Holden's abduction from hospital) and overall it was easy and thrilling to read.

Replicant's Night was plainly boring and dull.

I better don't want to put my hands on Eye and Talon, it wasn't even released outside UK, AFAIK.
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel