FAQ  •  Login

DECK-A-REP THEORISTS, Get past this!!!!!!!

<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:38 am

THX1138 wrote:i am tired of it, in fact. this is one of the rare (very rare) times i will post in the deckard human vs rep forum. its getting old, only thing that counts now is the "would you PREFER deckard as a rep or a human" topics.

everything else is void because the big man said....deckard is a replicant.

Harrison For however claims to have played a human. I'm not willing to follow the authorities (Scott/Sammon) on this one without questioning.
The movie was made to hint at certain possibilities, it was never meant to make a clear statement. I believe Deckard to be human, but I think that the possibility that he could be a replicant is extremely important for the movie. Without this the movie wouldn't work. If Deckard was a Replicant, it would create some holes in the story that have not been satisfyingly filled by anyone I know. IMHO, getting Deck-a-Rep working in a coherent way is a lot more difficult than getting the Deck-a-Human story to work.

I agree with Deckard BR26354 that Roy doesn't necessarily know whether Deckard is a Replicant or not. He definitely didn't belong to Roy's group of Replicants, because the 6th Replicant was someone called Mary. If Deckard was a Replicant his origin would be unkown.
I'm not tired of this. I would like to see some new arguments, though.
"I'll take the test," Luba Luft said, "if you'll take it first."
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:14 pm

i duno if im whipping a dead horse here but i'll just post up this observation i made last night:

some of you may note that Deckards confusion in the bryant briefing scene lends credence to him being a rep, im still not gonna say it either way but i did think that when bryant says. "so they built in a fail-safe device." deck then asks "which is what?" (which is interesting he should know that shouldnt he), yes, unless the Nexus 6's are the only ones with 4 year life spans, i guess that makes sense if you think of the nexus 6 as the ferrari of the replicant world. honestly how many ferraris do you see with 100,000 miles. that could also answer why deck sneers after that statement. upon thinking about this it still could be possible that deck is still a rep but made by a different manufaturer and with a different lifespan so whether or not that answers anything i dont know but in my mind it clears up that little bit of the puzzle.
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:21 pm

ridleynoir wrote:I think the controversy and differing opinions on this topic is one of the things that has given it such a long lived cult afterlife. I wish ridley had left it more up to the viewer and not stated finally his vision of it.

Yes, but he did. And that tells me something, something I've been suspecting all along: Ridley isn't a god! After Alien and Blade Runner he never got anywhere near the same quality again. But then again, who did?
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:42 pm

BR12819 wrote:i duno if im whipping a dead horse here but i'll just post up this observation i made last night:

some of you may note that Deckards confusion in the bryant briefing scene lends credence to him being a rep, im still not gonna say it either way but i did think that when bryant says. "so they built in a fail-safe device." deck then asks "which is what?" (which is interesting he should know that shouldnt he), yes, unless the Nexus 6's are the only ones with 4 year life spans, i guess that makes sense if you think of the nexus 6 as the ferrari of the replicant world. honestly how many ferraris do you see with 100,000 miles. that could also answer why deck sneers after that statement. upon thinking about this it still could be possible that deck is still a rep but made by a different manufaturer and with a different lifespan so whether or not that answers anything i dont know but in my mind it clears up that little bit of the puzzle.

According to the Marvel adaptation, Deckard had quit before the Nexus 4 had hit the public. The 4-year life span may have not have been implemented until the next series came around.

But that's me playing the devil's advocate. I believe Deckard is a replicant. As far as I'm concerned, the Deck-a-rep issue is air-tight.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:42 pm

BR12819 wrote:i duno if im whipping a dead horse here but i'll just post up this observation i made last night:

According to the Marvel adaptation, Deckard had quit before the Nexus 4 had hit the public. The 4-year life span may have not have been implemented until the next series came around.

But that's me playing the devil's advocate. I believe Deckard is a replicant. As far as I'm concerned, the Deck-a-rep issue is air-tight.
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:44 pm

-Shotaro Kaneda

<<

NiN_O_Negative

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:38 pm

Until I saw "On the Edge of Blade Runner", I had just assumed that Deckard was human, but was aware that people thought he might be a rep. For me, because Ridley Scott said that he was a rep, that means he was. What I believe is that Rachel and Deckard were experiments. Perhaps they do not have the 4 year life span limit. All we had to go on was Tyrell and he could have lied to Gaff and the police and tell them that she will die. It may have not been a meticulously planned concept, but the idea that Scott would've told all the actors that Deckard is definately a human, including Ford would be a good idea. Rutger Hauer didn't believe it either. The point was that Deckard was so perfect a rep he was flawed like a human, and he could only do that if didn't know his true identity. I think that Tyrell knew it was over for him. The reps that break their programming would be killed and his creations would remain slaves. So he created Deckard so that even though he would be killing his own kind, he would live on as a true replicant.
Previous

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?