ebay DVDs

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

alanisthruchaos

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:28 am

Re:

Well I recently picked up the ebay dvd for about $80 and here are my thoughts on it.First off I'm not defending the guy selling it,I don't mind picking up bootlegs from time to time.But I don't have a computer at home so I've been going to internet cafe's to access the web,and I'd have to say that price was about the amount I'd spend on accessing my email and surfing to websites like bladezone and brmovie.com to see alot of these features and they don't get get a cent of the money either.At least on dvd I can invite some friends over throw it on the television,and I'd figured if I'd picked up alot of the things like the various bootlegs of the soundtrack or the doc separarately I'm looking at a bargain.It's like the workprint alone was shot 15 years ago and now I finally have a copy of it.
Sure I'd pick up the real special edition if it ever became available,hopefully a release that will make this an interesting collector's item.
Thing is what's holding up the real special edition and that seems to be Jerry Perenchio.The guy holds some portion of the rights and he's a billionaire who probably could'nt give a damn about it's status as a cult or important film or the fact the release would be huge,because after all it's not really gonna pad his pocket much and I am alongst with the rest of you just sick of waiting.Miracles do happen though.A similar delay in the release of another one of my favourite films Lynch's Dune which was scheduled for release this May,has been pulled because Lynch has supposedly decided after years of naysaying that'd he'd get involved with Dune again,is apparently in talks about doing just that.It's like as was they were still having the Smithee version of the film included with the theatrical release by this point with some of the old wounds possibly healed he's decided well he's gotta be able to do something with the film.
The reports over the years was they had five hours of footage in the can,it'd just be a question of universal putting up the funds and finding time in everyone's schedule to do it.Funds should'nt be an issue being that they've been selling off the films props the past couple of years en masse and it'd bound to be another huge release.
Don't know I'm just keeping my fingers crossed on both projects right now.From what I've heard Ridley has already completed his work on Blade Runner and they undoubtedly have enough material for a 4 disc ala Lord of the Rings release,so who knows.
<<

endzem

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:14 pm

I hear you, man. I'm right behind you, especially about Dune. I am a huge Dune fan myself and think Lynch's version is the best Dune representation out there (didn't like the sci-fi channel's mini-series that much).

I have a multi-region dvd player, so I bought the Japanese produced vcd of the extended version of Dune which is pretty much like the Smithee version.

BTW...Welcome to the Forum!
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:48 pm

hello everyone. i have been enjoying the site for years to be honest - and dont typically join anything. however, the BR legacy probably occupies more of my thinking time than any other one thing... so it was time to join up. apologies for not doing so sooner!

question is, with all the jerks making coin off of rarities and greedily taking other things (THX - your Bravo clips, the screensavers, etc.) that were otherwise offered peacefully (and for profit), how the hell does an honest fan get a hold of something without stepping on toes, enabling the bastards, etc.?

for a couple of years now i have patiently tried to figure out how to best get a copy of the BBC 1 hour special, and of course all of the other rarities that the 4 dvd set on ebay offers, but i dont want to support the greedy ones.

any suggestions?
and thanks for this forum and all the invaluable feedback and input!
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:54 pm

what im tempted to do is go ahead and support them, buy a dvd with the 1 hour documentary. then, turn around, and STAB them in the back by ripping it, and putting a torrent all over the internet so everyone can download it. i think if i can put fourth the $75, no one else will have to.

Welcome to the forums. And to all other lurkers out there...come on in!
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:44 pm

THX1138 wrote: i think if i can put fourth the $75, no one else will have to.

thats kind of what i was thinking. if we can dilute the market with free rarities - which all hardcore BR fans should be able to enjoy (without being gouged) then the takers - the greedy ones, would be stuck with just another valueless (monetarily) dub that would however, remain invaluable to us true fans, but we could all enjoy it.

when they post on ebay - could we could post with a "same here... but it'll only cost you S&H and a buck for the blank" or set it up p2p/ torrent as you mentioned? am i nuts or is this a realistic approach?

if you are up for it - i would hapilly split the cost. you could send me the first copy and keep the so-called 'original,' packaging, etc. i only care to enjoy something (anything!) new BR thats related.

what pisses me off is they dont even really care about the film. they always put this patronizing "if you are a true fan then you must have this" BS...if you are a true fan, you wouldnt rob another true fan. you'd share.

let me know your thoughts THX.
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

terrada

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:03 pm

Re:

alanisthruchaos wrote:Well I recently picked up the ebay dvd for about $80 and here are my thoughts on it.First off I'm not defending the guy selling it,I don't mind picking up bootlegs from time to time.But I don't have a computer at home so I've been going to internet cafe's to access the web,and I'd have to say that price was about the amount I'd spend on accessing my email and surfing to websites like bladezone and brmovie.com to see alot of these features and they don't get get a cent of the money either.At least on dvd I can invite some friends over throw it on the television,and I'd figured if I'd picked up alot of the things like the various bootlegs of the soundtrack or the doc separarately I'm looking at a bargain.It's like the workprint alone was shot 15 years ago and now I finally have a copy of it.
Sure I'd pick up the real special edition if it ever became available,hopefully a release that will make this an interesting collector's item.

Hello, im new around here and i just discovered about the bootleg dvd's.
I really dig the proposition that was made to get our hands on this and make it available to all the fans.

I would like to get my dirty hands on the bootleg 3 Disc edition (for the syd mead gallery and the workprint mainly) but i don't see any trace anywhere of it :( If anyone can help me to find it please contact me :D .

Thanks.
<<

Electric Sheep

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi guys...just discovered your site/forum. Been to BRMovie.com many times, but was not aware (until today) of all this BR bootleg dvd talk here in the last year. (I just caught up and read of all the high ebay prices)
I was at a local comic convention the other day and I came across the 4dvd set. (sorry but I have no way of copying dvds) I'd never heard anything about it, and all the box said was Bladerunner "Original Voice-Over Narration -Collector's Edition" 4dvds. I eventually noticed on the back in tiny print: "also includes Denver Workprint". I thought this was kinda suspect, because I had never heard that a copy of this version was ever leaked to the public. I didn't know what else was in the set and the price tag said $45. I figured it was a gamble (I couldn't view it before hand) so I talked the guy down to $40. :D

Well the first thing I watched was the "workprint". Don't get too excited over this, because it's the worst bootleg I've ever seen. I realize this is something previously thought impossible to see, but the boot was done in the Denver theater in 1991 with a camcorder, the image floats in the middle of the tv screen (filling 1/2 to 3/4 of the screen), at times it's at an angle, heads fill the bottom 1/4 of the screen MST3K style, and the audio can barely be heard. I'll have to watch more of it (not in fast forward) but if it wasn't for the distinct and different opening title I don't think I could even recognize this was the different version. (updated comment: You can hear pretty clearly, the different, brief Deckard voice-over at the end while Batty dies. Even the tone of which, sounds so much better than the flat reading he gives to the theatrical cut's voice-over.)
<<

Blaksvn

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:19 am

A LONG time member of the originaltrilogy.com and BR fan has taken the latest HD broadcast and converted it to DVD-DL!!

Read the whole thread - it is on the torrent network for FREE downloads so grab it here and not on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!
Word to the Spookies...
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:52 pm

and there is me selling it for a fiver!
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

echo

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:43 pm

I bought one of these "ebay dvd sets" with three versions of the film, original with voice over basically from the criterion Laser Disc, driectors cut and the "work print" along with a lot of special features. I was fairly impressed with the menus and the amount of time spent putting this together with the dvd menus and cover art work on all of the discs, even the mailing sellers mailing address has a little blade runner cover art on the corner. This guy is obviously an enthusiast, although when I went to leave feedback for him, his account had been suspended :?

As an aside every time I buy a new format like vhs, then dvd and oddly enough now I have started collecting laserdiscs. I always buy blade runner and 2001 before almost anything else. I paid good money for the criterion LD of BR

anywho this is a great and informative site and this is my first post so please don't flame me if you don't think i should have bought this set

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:26 am

Just to let you know, as far as I know, all of the BR bootlegs are the same, and are copied and sold by different people.

I'm sure the original creatoer of the bootlegs is long gone.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:01 pm

i know someome who was contacted by him via ebay, he explained that it was a personal project that had unfortunately got leeked.

should you ever see the discs yourself, you`ll see that a fan went to a great deal of effort to get this set together. As for the quality of the workprint, ok its dire, but does give you an insight into another version of the film.

on a personal note to people - piracy is a crime, and harm development of releases. just wait and buy the original in 6 months time..
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:24 pm

I had talked to the original person who put the set together and he told me he did it orgionally for himself and just put up a few on ebay to share and get some of his costs back. He didn't expect them to go for so much as they did, and after he heard about the Blade Zone "issues" he stopped selling them all together. The ones up now are by others who have copied his sets. He was just a fan that put together a collection of stuff and hoped to share it with other fans. Similar issues happen around the Replica props with a fans making a version and having a "recaster" make hundreds to sell on ebay or at conventions. It is part of the underground economy. Sites like this should be able to help fans share this information directly, but now days the sites can get in trouble for just "allowing" file sharing and bootlegging non authorized copies of licensed material. Different companies have different policies on fan created and distributed work. Lucas film allows fans to make and sell "individual" copies of their work (i.e. storm trooper armor) as long as they are not trying to profit and make large quantities. The Distubutors own the rights of distribution for the films though and can go after you seperately. Fox on the other hand will Vero anything in the image of one of their licensed items on ebay, even if it is a one up fan creation. Only the Blade Runner Partnership owns the license to Blade Runner and sells the distribution rights to Warner Brothers for the films/DVDs etc.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Hm. I've been wondering, what's on those two supplemental discs anyway?
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut