FAQ  •  Login

Mount All 4 CD-ROMs at Once (no more in-out loading)

Moderator: BR796164

<<

BladeRvnner

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:29 pm

Mount All 4 CD-ROMs at Once (no more in-out loading)

Alright, this is my first post here. So, hi everyone? Hopefully, I'm not too much of a loose cannon for this forum... LOL!

Anyway, I am a proud owner of the BR PC game (I bought when originally released thank you), and I was surprised to not see anyone talking about this trick in this forum. So, here goes...

Did you know it was possible to mount all four CD-ROMS at once, so as to avoid loading and unloading the CDs during gameplay? I have not actually tried this with BR specifically, but I have done this with others games in the past and it rules. So, that said, the techniques goes something like this:

- First, create 4 disk images (ISO's) of the four CD-ROMS, and have those ISO's available on your Hard Disk
- Then get yourself an app that can mount ISO images as if they were in a real drive (think of it as a "virtual drive" that gets assigned a drive letter even)
- Use the app to mount all four ISO's at the same time
- And presto! Launch the first ISO and off you go.

Some games won't recognize the fact that the other discs are mounted, so that could screw you over, but I bet this works because it does with many games no problem (especially older games).

OMG, Bit Torrent rules...
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:56 pm

BladeRvnner wrote: "Did you know it was possible to mount all four CD-ROMS at once, so as to avoid loading and unloading the CDs during gameplay? "

When you install the BR Westwood game properly, you shouldn't have to insert cds during gameplay.

Or am I misunderstanding you? :-k
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:17 pm

but when you do the full install, it does like 3 GB of data. but still, 4 cds = 700 mb = really big filesize.

use alcohol 120% to create iso images, alcohol 120% also mounts ISO images as a virtual cd-rom drive.

in linux it's possible (and free) to make and mount iso images. ah, the joys of lin......enough advertising.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

BladeRvnner

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:23 pm

Kipple wrote:Or am I misunderstanding you? :-k

You understood me perfectly. My bad. Interesting... I haven't played the game in a while (read: years), let alone installed it, but I always played it where I had to insert/remove CD's. I guess back then, that was too much space for me to do a complete install. LOL, these days that would be a no-brainer. I stand corrected. Although one interesting approach would be to burn all four ISO's onto a DVD, then just insert and mount the ISO's right off the DVD when you want to play. That way they won't take up any space on your HD -- although that might be asking for a crash. I just bought a new laptop though, and you guys are starting to inspire me, so maybe I'll have to bust the game back out again and play it. :)
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:27 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:31 am

Welcome!

Interesting suggestion, but I have BR game fully installed all the time. It takes cca 2 - 2,5 GB's... insignificant in era of 100 GB hard drives.

Good thing is that BR game has been made shortly before CD copy protection/cd verification came into fashion, so if you have full install, you don't have to insert your CDs into drive for verification, thus decreasing risk of their possible random damage.
<<

BladeRvnner

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:09 am

BR796164 wrote:Welcome!

Interesting suggestion, but I have BR game fully installed all the time. It takes cca 2 - 2,5 GB's... insignificant in era of 100 GB hard drives.

Good thing is that BR game has been made shortly before CD copy protection/cd verification came into fashion, so if you have full install, you don't have to insert your CDs into drive for verification, thus decreasing risk of their possible random damage.

The ISO's are nice to have just as a backup. Just create 4 iso's and backup to DVD or something like that.
<<

BR796164

Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:06 am

Wait... I go buy my first DVD burner... :wink:

Return to The Blade Runner Game