Rep Detector

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:05 pm

Sounds like Final Fantasy 7.
<<

zoomer_one

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:37 am

Actually it sounds very much like Metropolis. The one movie everyone tries to copy from...even Blade Runner.
<<

THX1138

Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:40 am

yes, but blade runner is about the only sucessful attempt. are you talking about the anime metropolis or the old original one?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

zoomer_one

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:01 am

The old one....natch!
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:08 am

http://jajatom.moo.jp/E-top/Egunnm/Egunnm%20top.html

Battle Angel ALITA (GUNNM)

Known as "Gunnm" in Japan, this comic was my debut series. It was published serially from winter 1990 until spring 1995, in Shueisha's "Business Jump" magazine.
After many years of trial and error, I finally succeeded in creating a story that combined an introspective cyborg theme with the concept of surviving in an apocalyptic world.
Battle Angel Alita has been a very big success for me. Besides Japanese, it has been published in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese (Cantonese and Taiwanese), Korean, and Thai.
Compared to my other works, Battle Angel Alita is very unique.
There are 2 completely different underlying themes in the series. The "darkness mode" refers to the to dark side of life, and the "glory mode" refers to the goodness of human nature. To succeed in showing this contrast, I created characters who strove for humanity in a dark world.
Someday, I would like work on Battle Angel Alita again... maybe an extra story or something like that.

Yukito Kishiro

STORY

Tiphares, the gigantic and mysterious mid-air city, covers the sky. Underneath, junkies and cyborgs live in the ruined city known as the "Scrap Yard".
Within the giant pile of ruble cast off from the city in the sky, begins the
story of a girl.

One day in the Scrap Yard, and ex-Tipherean citizen and cybernetic doctor named "Ido" finds the partially destroyed body of a young cyborg girl. He names her "Alita".
Even after being restored by Ido, Alita has no memory, so she fights to recover her true self that is hidden somewhere inside her body.
While helping Ido against a powerful enemy, Alita's ability to use the "Panzer Kunst", a long lost fighting technique, returns...

By fighting through various encounters in this sci-fi action epic, the cyborg girl, Alita, grows as a human being.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377124/board/nest/12046892

are all japanese anime stories the same? someone in a high off city/social status cast off and fallen to the lower levels?
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:02 am

:D They've stolen my idea!
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

zoomer_one

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:20 pm

are all japanese anime stories the same? someone in a high off city/social status cast off and fallen to the lower levels?

Comic book aritst Osamu Tezuka was heavily influnced by Metropolis (the old B&W movie)...even though he never actually saw the film...the poster and few images he saw gave him enough to craft his own spin on the story. If you really think about it....mainly every Anime sci-fi is kind of based on the german film in one shape or another.

I'm sure after Blade Runner came out...the same thing happened again. Now there's cyberpunk anime out the whazoo!
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:39 pm

cyberpunk anime, most of which doesnt look too good. i mean, akira had a nice environment setting and all, but the plot was just kinda dumb. and ghost in the shell, i couldnt really sit through that. now the anime metropolis is kinda good, im actually thinking about getting the dvd just to see it again, along with the THX1138 dvds. yeah, in a way, i think life, media, and stories today have, in some way or another, been spun off of metropolis.
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:28 pm

THX1138 wrote:forget sequels (well, not totally). what about just a film that is set in the BR world? same world, same city, etc... but different plots and storylines that dont follow the blade runners or LAPD. i think future noir would be an awsome title (what else?)

This is close to what we're attempting to do with the BR fan film we're making right now. Except it's not the same city. :) And there are Blade Runners. :D
<<

NeoKobeJunker

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:06 pm

The greatest sequel to Blade Runner ever made would have to be Hideo Kojima's master piece "SNATCHER". Snatcher is by far the greatest game ever made with best story ever written, best characters (gillian Seed is identical to Deckard in looks and wardrobe) my favorite type of gameplay (none compare). Gillian is a J.U.N.K.E.R(his job is to hunt down snatchers(Replicants) and junk them) If you are a fan of Blade Runner and you havent played Snatcher then you are missing out on the greatest thing ever.
<<

NeoKobeJunker

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:09 pm

Oh yea and an actual attempt on a seqel(sort Of) was made called Natural City, made in, i think.... korea looks amazing
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:16 pm

I worked on a game called "Synnergist" for Vicarious Visions 1st game around 1993. It used the same engine as Mean Streets (also a BR influenced game). There is some pics of my work on their site(see concept art 2-4). The game was never sold in the U.S. and they never sent me a copy. If anyone has one I would apreciate it.

link to site...

http://www.vvisions.com/games/details.cfm?ID=29
<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:15 am

RandomHajile wrote:Oh yea and an actual attempt on a seqel(sort Of) was made called Natural City, made in, i think.... korea looks amazing

I was going to get a hold of Natural City. Isn't there another Korean movie that is said to be like BR?

Has anyone seen Wong Kar Wai's 2046 yet? It looks great - at least the sci-fi parts of it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212712/combined
http://www.ultimatedvd.org/nl/Trailers/ ... 2142859455
"I'll take the test," Luba Luft said, "if you'll take it first."
<<

The Old BladeRunner

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:14 am

what?? i had never heard of that movie, 2046. however i did hear about Natural City. is it safe to assume tht Natural city is nothing but subtitles and dazzling cinematography???
That hurt! That was irrational of you. Not to mention ... unsportsmanlike.Heh heh...ha ha ha! Where are you going?"
<<

MamanE

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun May 15, 2005 8:12 am

I've heard people suggesting James Cameron for a BR sequel, giving his track record for creating good sequals like Aliens.
I think JC is an amazing director and screen writer, but the reason Aliens worked so well is because it was very much expanding the Alien universe, continuing the story, and not make it a rehash of the original.
I think BR is great on its own. It's not a sci-fi horror flick like Alien (which, incidently, one could consider a good rip-off from the 1958 flick "It: The terror from beyond space") which lends itself well for sequels. BR, otoh made it's point and doesn't have a story which can really be continued in a meaningful way, without trying to make the same point as BR. It would be flatout boring, no matter what great director you choose. Prequels, like suggested, (the escape from offworld colonies and such), would probably result in an action movie, using BR's heritage as an excuse.
I'm not saying a sequel/prequel would be impossible, but I seriously wouldn't know how this could lead in something worthy the BR name. Personally, I'm fine without a sequel :-)

BTW. I kind of enjoyed Natural City as a great A/V experience, and yes, it borrowed a lot of ideas from BR. But, the story felt kind of pointless and direction flawed which made the whole film feel a bit empty. IMHO
PreviousNext

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel