FAQ  •  Login

Deckard WAS AREP and here is HARDPROOF

<<

sad_louise

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:29 pm

This is my first post, so I thought I'd get stuck right in with 'THE' question - Is he or isn't he?

It's just my opinion but..

The first time I saw the film back in the 80's, I was pretty sure he was a replicant.

The first time I saw the Director's Cut, I was very sure he was a replicant.

When Ridley said he was a replicant - I now know he was a replicant.

I think Harrison's depiction of Deckard as human is ultimately overriden by Ridley's control of the bigger picture - all those little clues (retinal glow, the unicorn, 'A man's job'...)

My passion for the movie is still maintained by its complex treatment of the simply stated question 'What is it to be human?' Hence my love also for Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein'.

Ultimately, I think the whole project has benefitted from the film's / Ridley's ambiguity on the subject matter. I have everyone who worked on the project to thank for the wonderful debates that have followed my many viewings of the film down the years.

Best wishes to all,

Steve :)
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:58 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:I'd personally rather think of him as human as a fan of the book and because I can more readily identify with Deckard if he's not a rep.

Well, no. The point is you would identify with him anyway - the fact he's a Replicant makes little difference in the end. Essentially he's human - the question is 'what's the difference between a natural-born human and an artificially-created one?'. Answer - apparently very little.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Rollins

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:58 am

If I remember correctly in the book - "Future Noir - The making of Blade Runner" - There is mention of a scene that was never filmed that confirms Deckard is a replicant.
After the final scene with Roy Batty, Deckard is being checked out by medics and they scan his hand. On a monitor screen behind and above Deckard appear the words "Replicant" showing that he is in fact a replicant.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:10 am

I haven't read "Future Noire" for about 18 months or so, but I do remember reading about the that scene somewhere, but couldn't remember where. Thanks for pointing me back to it - I'm gonna read that bit again...
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
Previous

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?