FAQ  •  Login

Do you prefer Deckard as a human or as a replicant?

How do you prefer to see Deckard?

I prefer to see Deckard as a human.
58%
I prefer to see Deckard as a replicant.
15%
I vote Deckard is a human because of the overwhelming evidence.
14%
I vote Deckard is a Replicant because of the overwhelming evidence.
13%

Total votes : 78
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:36 am

Do you prefer Deckard as a human or as a replicant?

Ah-ha - now that we've got proper polls I can resurrect my little survey and do it properly.

The question is "If you accept that there is no way to prove Deckard's human/replicant status either way, how do you prefer to see him?"
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:24 am

Deck-a-Human r00000lz ! \:D/
<<

bousley

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:10 am

Isn't one of the clinical definitions of insanity repeating the same action again and again and expecting different results?
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:35 pm

Hey, I don't care what the result is either way - I just wanted to try out the new forum polls :D

This is a better way to do it - keeps the 'justification' discussion down.
Richard Gunn

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

bousley

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:10 pm

I think the new features are great and really appreciate all your work in getting the new forum up and going... Knowing your view on the subject is contrary to the current poll results, I just couldn't resist a little dig ... strictly in jest.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:18 pm

Hey, I take every comment aimed at me 'in jest' as a default - just don't go spilling my pint! :D

It was Gerry who installed the new forum - we were just gonna start again from scratch as we had no idea how to get to the other forum database. But then I figured out how to fix the old forum (digging around the net for php tutorials) - my little victory gave me the confidence to have a crack at converting the old forum database over to the new one. I've claimed the 'admin' hat as I had spent two or three days getting things working again (including a ten-hour stint from Friday evening through to Saturday morning). Okay, you can put your violins away now, thanks.

Hey, for a real laugh I might just go in and tip the vote the other way (now, I am kidding).
Richard Gunn

<<

Tomtrek

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:55 am

Like I said before, it all depends on what version I'm wating. In the Original Cut, he's human. In the DC, he's a rep.
I voted Rep on the poll just because I watch the DC more... :roll:

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer. "
<<

Kobold2001

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:27 pm

I much prefer to see Deckard as a human. Harrison Ford played him as human, and I think he comes across as a very human man, with moments of weakness etc. Then again, this could be an argument for the fact that he is a rep, because they can be just as human as humans are.

I prefer him to be human, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest he is a rep.

1. "You've done a man's job sir" which suggest he isn't a man.
2. Zhora-"Are you for real?". Not meant in this way, but still could be interpreted as questioning his origins.
3. The unicorn dream , coupled with Gaff's final origami figure. Has he accessed his files?

there's loads more, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
"More human than human" is our motto....
<<

Pris 2

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:59 pm

How many years was Deckard an Blade runner ?? Unless he possess the longer life span that Rachael was subpose to have 8) But he sure did not have the super skin Job strength that the replicants had 8)
why drive fast when you can fly low
<<

GLOWi

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:06 pm

This is my first Post. I apologize in advance for any mistakes because English is not my mother's tongue language.
Personally, I dislike the idea of Deckard beeing a replicant. Don't get me wrong, I do not claim that Deckard is human. I don't know. And I don't want to know.
I've read posts, where people wrote that Deckard couldn't be a replicant, because it ruins the story. That's exactly my opinion. But I've never seen or heard an opinion saying that Deckard beeing human ruins the story.
In my view (and not only mine, these issues were mentioned many times, of course), the fundamental question behind the movie is What makes us human? Who is more human, a bounty hunter who is dehumanized by constant mechanical killing, or replicants who seeks for the same answers as we do. With Deckard beeing a replicant, the questions comes down into Who is more human, a rep who kills other replicants to protect people or a rep who kills people to protect him(her)self. ;o))
Ridley Scott likes the idea of Deckard beeing a replicant. I really would like to know why. Because Deckard finds out that he is what he feared and hated the most? OK, but it's still far most interesting when he finds out that he is a replicant not literally, but he's became one of them through his deeds. Roy Batty saving Deckard's life because he came to understanding that all life is precious, not only his is much more challenging that Roy Batty saving his fellow replicant. Revelation that Deckard himself is a rep is cheap in my opinion the same way like the clumsy happy ending in the original theatrical release. It reminds me a cheesy tv series' script in which "suprising" twist is needed.
But I really like the ambiguity of Deckard's true nature. It fits into the world of P.K. Dick where there is nothing you can be certain of. I think that idea that Deckard MAY be an artificial being is much more provocative than explicitly stating that Deckard is or isn't a replicant. That's why I don't want to argue about Deckard's character even when I admit that if there were clearly said that Deckard is a rep, the movie would not be my favorite one. I would admired how it was beautifully shot, but I would not love it.
<<

Kobold2001

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:11 pm

I agree. Deck being a rep takes away a lot of the point of the film. The only thing it adds is the messgae that we can never be sure who we are. I prefer the view that a robat can be 'more human than human'. Then again, both themes are brilliant.
"More human than human" is our motto....
<<

Anti-Rep Warmachine

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:32 am

Deckard is technically a replicant. Judging the way he is manufactured physically and emotionally, Tyrell Corporation have done an outstanding job constructing him.

I would...prefer to see him as a Replicant, because it deeply enriches the story plot of Blade Runner a lot, which supports the plot's ideals "The Hunter becomes Hunted."

If Deckard is seen as a human, I don't think it can enrich the story a lot.
(Image link removed by Deckard BR26354 - cannot crosslink from other site)
"Bi-Lal Kaifa." -A Fremen saying
<<

frankrizzo55555

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:34 pm

I guess I would have to say that deckard in my opinion is definately human. If not for the simple fact that he is inferior in every aspect to the replicants except for shelf life. He is weaker, slower and the list goes on. Now he could be made that way right. Or just programmed if he is a replicant. But then there is no way to prove that anyone is human or replicant until they die. So with that said I guess we should just take it as is was meant to be. The creater intended viewers to percieve him as human. I think that the movie loses some of its luster when you get lost in mundane details.
<<

frankrizzo55555

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:35 pm

I guess I would have to say that deckard in my opinion is definately human. If not for the simple fact that he is inferior in every aspect to the replicants except for shelf life. He is weaker, slower and the list goes on. Now he could be made that way right. Or just programmed if he is a replicant. But then there is no way to prove that anyone is human or replicant until they die. So with that said I guess we should just take it as is was meant to be. The creater intended viewers to percieve him as human. I think that the movie loses some of its luster when you get lost in mundane details.
<<

frankrizzo55555

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:36 pm

I guess I would have to say that deckard in my opinion is definately human. If not for the simple fact that he is inferior in every aspect to the replicants except for shelf life. He is weaker, slower and the list goes on. Now he could be made that way right. Or just programmed if he is a replicant. But then there is no way to prove that anyone is human or replicant until they die. So with that said I guess we should just take it as is was meant to be. The creater intended viewers to percieve him as human. I think that the movie loses some of its luster when you get lost in mundane details
Next

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?