FAQ  •  Login

Replicants eyes glowing

<<

raymccoy

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:42 pm

Replicants eyes glowing

Well as we know when a replicant is under certain light conditons their eyes glow like an animals. Deckard's eyes do this as well after the fight with Leon when he is with Racheal. If you notice the reps eyes glow mostly when they are the only ones on screen. This to me supports the statement that his eyes glowing was a camera mistake.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:22 pm

Food for thought!

From, Front Projection for "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Herb A. Lightman
from American Cinematographer:
"One stunnng effect that invariably brings gasps from the audience was achieved quite unexpectedly and may be regarded as a sort of "bonus" to the production. During the prologue a lithe leopard is seen moving among the rocks. As the big cat turns its head full into camera its eyes seem literally to light up with a brilliant, fluorescent orange glow. The impact is startling.

"A happy accident," shrugs Kubrick. "I can only conjecture that the cat's eyes must contain some substance having a reflectivity similar to that of the 3M material used on our screen, because the eyes picked up the front-projected light and reflected it almost as brightly as the screen itself.'' "

http://www.palantir.net/cgi-bin/image.c ... dawn03.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
All eyes reflect light well because the path for light always works in both directions. In other words, if incoming light is focused by the cornea lens and forms a tiny bright spot on the retina... then that tiny bright spot can send light out through the cornea-lens, and beam it back to the original source.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the movie "Big Fish" when Ed is dying in the hospital, his son watches him in anguish and there is only one light reflected in each of Will's and Ed's eyes. When Ed's eyes become fixed, the light in his eyes brightens, and a second light can be seen reflecting in the corner of his eyes. When the camera pans back to Will, two spots of light are now reflected in his eyes showing the addition of a second light off camera.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your sense of sight:
http://library.thinkquest.org/3750/sigh ... ?tqskip1=1

Webvision:
http://webvision.med.utah.edu/

www.BRmovie.com:
http://www.brmovie.com/FAQs/BR_FAQ_Eyes.htm

Cinematography for Blade Runner
by Herb A. Lightman and Richard Patterson:
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/mar99/blade/pg2.htm

Cheers!
<<

Partizan

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:36 am

Re: Replicants eyes glowing

raymccoy wrote:Well as we know when a replicant is under certain light conditons their eyes glow like an animals. Deckard's eyes do this as well after the fight with Leon when he is with Racheal. If you notice the reps eyes glow mostly when they are the only ones on screen. This to me supports the statement that his eyes glowing was a camera mistake.

I cant see anything that id describe as a glow of the eyes, not on Deck and not on Rachel, but thats just me :D

The BR faq says..

Replicants differ from humans in one important factor: they are lacking in
empathy. In BR, replicants' eyes glow, however Ridley Scott has stressed that this is merely a cinematic technique, and the glow can't be seen by the characters in the story, only by the audience.
"..like tears in rain.."
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:14 pm

In the july 82' edition of American Cinematographer..in an interview with director of photography Jordan Cronenweth he talks about how the glowing eye effect was done using a two way mirror in front of the lense at a 45 degree angle with a spot light directed to reflect into the eyes. The owl on the other hand was accidental and they ended up changing Racheal's line about the owl being real.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:19 pm

Partizan wrote:I cant see anything that id describe as a glow of the eyes, not on Deck and not on Rachel, but thats just me :D

Look at this grab from the DVD.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Partizan

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:04 pm

Deckard BR26354 wrote:
Partizan wrote:I cant see anything that id describe as a glow of the eyes, not on Deck and not on Rachel, but thats just me :D

Look at this grab from the DVD.

Im sure you`ll think im silly but i looked at that exact scene today...
and that redish colour in their eyes i dont want to describe as a glow, more like some sort of light was directed straight at their eyes, atleast i thought that i noticed some sort of light pass their eyes just that minute/scene, but it dissapeared again as if it passed them from one side to another, im gonna watch that over and over again tomorrow :D But still.. to me its not glow... maybe ill change my mind tomorrow, we?ll see :D

I would like to hear what some one else think.. is that glowing eyes? And if it is.. is it the same glow as the other glowing scenes.. (With Batty i think..).
"..like tears in rain.."
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:06 pm

It is the same 'glow' and it is intentional. Just ask Ridley...
Richard Gunn

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Partizan

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:16 pm

Deckard BR26354 wrote:It is the same 'glow' and it is intentional. Just ask Ridley...

He wont pick up the phone...
Do you have a link to some sort of statement from R.S concerning this matter? :D

I will have a good look at this tomorrow :D
(its 02.50 after midnight over here...)
"..like tears in rain.."
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:20 pm

It's probably in Future Noir - or I may have seen it stated in the documentary "On the Edge of Blade Runner" - or I might have seen it somewhere else.

Do you get the impression that I can't remember where I saw that statement? :D
Last edited by Deckard BR26354 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Gunn

<<

raymccoy

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:35 am

Partizan my friend read Future Noir and all your questions, most of them at least, will be answered.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:41 am

Yes, that seems to be unanimous opinion. So, Partizan, if for some strange reason you end up buying two copies of it, you know where I live... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: [/b]
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Partizan

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:16 am

Centauro wrote:Yes, that seems to be unanimous opinion. So, Partizan, if for some strange reason you end up buying two copies of it, you know where I live... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: [/b]

Im sorry to inform you that i just ordered following books...
and might i add only one copy of each :D

Shay,Don: Blade Runner: The Inside Story (Hardcover, UK)
Sammon,Paul M: Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner (paperback US)

Ill start with theese two, but im going to buy DADoES too, next month.

Retrofitting Blade Runner: Issues in Ridley Scott's Blade Runner and Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
by Judith B. Kerman <--- Does anyone have this book? Is it any good?
"..like tears in rain.."
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:12 pm

Partizan wrote:Retrofitting Blade Runner: Issues in Ridley Scott's Blade Runner and Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Yes, it's a collection of essays (written by different people) about the issues in the movie - I haven't read them all, you can 'pick and choose' which to read and which to leave for another day. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the deeper meaning of the movie.
Richard Gunn

<<

Partizan

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:01 pm

Deckard BR26354 wrote:
Partizan wrote:Retrofitting Blade Runner: Issues in Ridley Scott's Blade Runner and Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Yes, it's a collection of essays (written by different people) about the issues in the movie - I haven't read them all, you can 'pick and choose' which to read and which to leave for another day. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the deeper meaning of the movie.

Okey, sounds interesting. Is there any other book/s that i should consider buying?
"..like tears in rain.."
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:33 pm

You can pick up a copies of "Blade Runner - BFI Modern Classics" and "Blade Runner - York Film Notes" from Amazon. But you've probably got enough with what you've already ordered.

There are a few other rarer books - look on Ebay.
Richard Gunn

Next

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?