FAQ  •  Login

I think all Bladerunners are Replicants!!!!!

<<

Crow T. Robot

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 pm

I think all Bladerunners are Replicants!!!!!

Noob here!!! Figure I'd start out with a controversial one....

I think all the Bladerunners were Reps!!! That's right, I said it!!! They are all Replicants!!!!!

It seems like you have to have a special ability to see the subtle differences when questioning someone.... So that means Holden would have been one also.....

I think they would wake them up when needed. Maybe Deck wasn't even actually brought to be until they needed him to hunt the rogue skin jobs that returned to earth. Which means when we first see him it is his first actual day of life but with all the false memories, we are lead to believe what he believes.... He thinks he has been around for a long time and so that is what is what we conceive to be true. But it is Deckard’s truth not reality truth.

I saw Bladerunner when I was a kid on tv and have always enjoyed the complexity of it. Even back then, I had the feeling that Deckard was a replicant.

So who thinks I am wrong in thinking this way? We all have our opinions and this one is mine....

Crow T. Robot
<<

Millennium

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:15 pm

I think its a valid opinion for the Final Cut and Directors Cut. I don't think its a necessarily obvious answer to the other versions.

Given that the FC and DC both tell us Deckard is a replicant, then there is a very logical train of thought that maybe Holden was as well. I mean, if you look down on reps as vicious and dangerous, why send out a man to do the job? Why not send a rep to do a man's work? History shows us how quickly we get machines to do dirty jobs, especially ones dealing with other machines, so it makes sense.

And given both Deck and Holden are implied to be new to the nexus 6, it makes sense that the reps they were created to ice were lower grades, easier to discover and possibly less powerful. This would explain why Holden gets taken out so quickly and why Deck has problems in regards to physical match against the likes of Pris (who isn't a combat or lifting model, but still seems to be stronger). Of course, it could be that the nexus 6 were all built for tough environments than a BR unit built to take out the more simple nexus 3 or whatever would require. Either way, it would neatly explain why Deck was a rep and below par in regards to his enemy.

So yes, I think Holden being a rep makes sense in regards of the FC and DC. You could never say it was definite (if you take some of Scott's postulations, Deck could be a new brand of rep and as such a replacement for the likes of Holden), but personally I think seeing all BR as reps explains a great deal that is required to make sense of the DC and FC versions of the BR universe.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 pm

As far as "officially", I am not sure but the new DVD set did reveal that Morgan Paul was originally brought in because he looked like Harrison Ford, so he could be used to help screen test the actresses going up for Racheal. He also did the VO's for the trailers as 'Deckard'. This is also an old topic but I thought I would at least add something new in here. Much of this was discusssed on this board ad infinitum, so if you are curious and patient I would suggest looking up some of the old threads.

Andy
<<

Millennium

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:30 am

It's an interesting point re the actors, though I'd have thought reps would either just look different as BRs or look identical, given they aren't identical (which would make sense as you'd want them to be able to blend in a little), I'd say the actors don't really indicate much aside from some lazy designers at Tyrell!

I guess you could say that the same elements might be brought into the line; sarcastic, medium build, not fantastically conspicuous...

As for the topic itself, well I can't imagine there are many topics that haven't been covered ad infinitum here - if any. If new blood is to surge, I think you just have to let the new guys go through the motions the vets have - and I don't think having newbs resurrect and start debating in old threads really invites new discussion.

It's the horrible curse of the vets to see old topics come round again and having to watch others enthusiastically debate topics which to them, are as old as the hills! Only way forums stay alive though. :)
<<

Crow T. Robot

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:30 am

The main discussions on this forum is Replicant or not. I coulda’ just let my thought go in the middle of a thread and be buried or I could just say what I wanted to say outright so everyone would know…

I chose the latter of the two.

Besides, I just wanted to say “Hello from a noob!”

So, hello!

CTR
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:52 pm

Welcome Crow,

Sorry if I sounded like I was busting your ^%$6. I actually have done the same thing in the past just because to read through an old post is very time consuming for both the poster and new readers of the bumped, and resurected thread. The old threads do have a lot of insight that you may have never thought about though, and when ever I get involved into a topic I try to do a little historical reading to get caught up to speed. As far as posting old stuff as new, as they say "everything old is new again", and a lot of the current members are reletively new. So any points may seem new to most anyway.

My only caution would be to be carefull with some of the "dead horse" threads and points. It can get pretty repeptitive here when it comes to the old "Deck a Rep" issues, and most are weary of revisiting it for the zillionth time. But like religion and politics, it will usually stirr things up. :)

Andy
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Blade. Runner. It's two words.

As for all of them being replicants? I've never believed that. Some maybe. But not all.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?