FAQ  •  Login

deck as a rep in the book

<<

THX1138

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:09 pm

deck as a rep in the book

my brother and i were discussing blade runner and DADOES. he said that in the movie, he thought he was human, but when he read the book, he caught lots of clues hinting he was a replicant. most of this i never caught up on, until we talked about it.

one thing we talked about was the owl. he wanted an animal, a real one, but he wouldnt accept the animal because he feared for his own life, something only a rep would care about. i never noticed this until a few nights ago.

when you read the book, what did you think? human or rep?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:49 pm

He was definately human in the book...he took the voight kamph test and passed...but he was supposed to question his idedntity.
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:54 pm

he passed, yes, but at the time, it was difficult, even when the subject passed or failed, to tell weather they were human or not. the test was becoming viod.
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:04 am

ridleynoir wrote:He was definately human in the book...he took the voight kamph test and passed...but he was supposed to question his idedntity.

I just read Scott Bukatman's 'Blade Runner' published by the BFI (British Film Institute) and in it he says that Dick's novel also alludes to Deckard as being a replicant.

Leon Corporation Employee
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:09 pm

finally a new addition worth discussing on the "deckard: human vs rep" forum :-)

i read DADOES about 4 times, each time with the conclusion that he was human, with hints that he might be a replicant. things like him being so cold and heartless, killing luba luft the way he did.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:56 pm

Quick! Get a Ouija and ask PKD! :wink:
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:49 pm

I've read the first two volumes (of five) of PKD short stories - in some of them the 'hero' isn't human and doesn't even know it. Leaves the question open in my eyes.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:15 pm

Leon Corporation wrote:I just read Scott Bukatman's 'Blade Runner' published by the BFI (British Film Institute) and in it he says that Dick's novel also alludes to Deckard as being a replicant.

Not to mention the fact that Rachael had nearly fooled Deckard on the V-K test. Though Rosen explains her trip on Salander 3 as a means of reasoning her lack of empathy, Rachael (with full understanding of the V-K) could've explained it on her own. But it would've only seemed legit if someone else vouched for her. It was mere luck that Deckard was able to uncover the truth.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:31 pm

P.K. Dick's novel DADoES does allude to Rick Deckard as being an android. However, there is evidence within its' pages that shows conclusively that in fact he is human. Below are a few major points supporting my conclusion.

1 Mercerism. Only humans ?fuse? with Mercer, and have the capability of understanding it and the empathy involved. Rick Deckard participated in "fusing" and is a follower of that faith.

2 His regard for animals. Androids have none. (Mercerism considers it a moral duty to breed and raise animals.)

3 He passed the VK test.
Last edited by Kipple on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:38 pm

Kaneda wrote:
Leon Corporation wrote:
Not to mention the fact that Rachael had nearly fooled Deckard on the V-K test. Though Rosen explains her trip on Salander 3 as a means of reasoning her lack of empathy, Rachael (with full understanding of the V-K) could've explained it on her own. But it would've only seemed legit if someone else vouched for her. It was mere luck that Deckard was able to uncover the truth.

The first result was that Rachael tested positive as an android. Eldon Rosen try'd manipulating Deckard into believing otherwise. Deckard's instincts beckoned from within and he wanted to ask one final question to Rachael. That was all he needed to confirm his original result.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:37 pm

Kipple wrote:P.K. Dick's novel DADoES does allude to Rick Deckard as being an android. However, there is evidence within its' pages that shows conclusively that in fact he is human. Below are a few major points supporting my conclusion.

1 Mercerism. Only humans ?fuse? with Mercer, and have the capability of understanding it and the empathy involved. Rick Deckard participated in "fusing" and is a follower of that faith.

2 His regard for animals. Androids have none. (Mercerism considers it a moral duty to breed and raise animals.)

3 He passed the VK test.

My rebuttal:
At one point during the novel the androids mention that they want to create a way to fuse with Mercer, or a similar mentor. Its possible that Deckard could've been an experimental android like Rachael. If given some false memories and elements of real life (a job, a wife, etc.) he could possibly develop the mental ability (empathy, in this case) to comprehend Mercerism. Even Rachael demonstrated some level of empathy (she had been friends with the rogue androids), so its still possible. Deckard, therefore, could feasibly aquire a love of animals over time. As for the V-K test, perhaps he wasn't asking himself the right questions to make the test. Remember, he didn't fully take the test himself. Or maybe, due to his time spent as a "human" he developed enough of a conscience to "fool" the V-K test into registering him as human.

End of rebuttal.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:26 am

:-s

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?