FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner Books 1-4 Discussion

<<

Nakano KalRonin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:27 am

Blade Runner Books 1-4 Discussion

I'm new to this board but definatly not new to Blade Runner. I've read all 4 Blade Runner books and I was wondering what everyone elses thoughts were on them. Did you like/dislike them? Was there a piece of the story in any of the books you did'nt seem to care for. Were you not able to peel your eyes away from the pages?

If this was already discussed than I apologize. I really would just like to see what everyone thought. I personaly could'nt stop reading them. A few parts of the books seemed to go on and on but I liked reading more of Blade Runner to continue the story and the arena of LA 2019. I can say, when I finished and put down the fourth book, Eye of Talon, I was ready for more. I hope they make more BR books and release them in the US so I don't have to get any books from the UK Like I did "Eye of Talon"
<<

gaijin

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:55 pm

I did read the first KW Jeter novel, 'The Edge of Human', and I tried to like it. I wanted to like it. Its just that something didn't click and I have never re-read it whilst I have read Electric Sheep countless times.
If there is one author that Blade Runner exposed or introduced me to it is Raymond Chandler. Prior to BR I had never read anything by him but there were so many comparisons made with Scotts film and Chandlers novels (and of course Film Noir which I had never really investigated) that I started reading Chandler and have never regretted it.
Sorry if thats not a proper answer but I have realised Chandler doesnt get many acknowledgements and I am a fan.
The Future Is Old
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:05 am

I read the first book and wasn't interested in reading the others - I think Jeter tried to tie up too many 'lose ends' from the movie and didn't succeed.

What are books 2,3 and 4 like?
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

BR796164

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:16 am

Edge of Human is easily readable, it has a good "old detective school" feeling, even though all the plot turn outs and dodgy conspiracies seemed a bit tiresome to me. Few good ideas and thrilling action scenes. Unfortunately it wasn't even remotely as deep as the movie and DADOES.

Replicants Night then, that was a very sad book... "Very sad" in terms of literature art. Ive felt like I'm reading a trash novel and I indeed was.

Eye and Talon didn't make it outside UK and that says a lot in my opinion.

Anyways, nothing changes the fact that these books were written primarily for making some money to the author and publisher, probably to BR Partnership too.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:20 am

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:12 am

Jeter was actually an apprentice to PKD and Dick called him the "best writer.." he knew. I read DADoS and the first two jeter books. I apreciated Jeter's attempt to combine the Dick book and the movie...but I felt that they were mostly uninspired. He did however try to channel dick in style and themes but that took away from movie inspired themes. they seemed to conflict with eachother. Honestly I enjoyed reading them even though they were pretty weak overall..

Return to Philip K Dick