FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner 3

<<

NEXUS ?

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:11 am

Blade Runner 3

Im in the process of reading Blade Runner 3 (K.W. Jeter)
But to my dismay it doesn't nearly live up to the standards of
"Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"
Either way... It's quite dissapointing. :cry:
"More Human Than Human"
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:13 pm

yes, i read the first 3 chapters (maybe 5) and gave up. too boring, and stupid. it doesnt even live up the the blade runner name altogether.
<<

NEXUS ?

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:16 pm

Is there a Blade Runner 4?
Because if there is,I dont even wanna know how boring it is!
"More Human Than Human"
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:51 pm

"Is there a Blade Runner 4? "

Yes...read on.
http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=378

Comments on Blade Runner 5:
http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=519

Cheers!
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:00 am

yes, i am saddedned by the works of Jeter. he hasnt done any justice to the blade runner name.
<<

Nakano KalRonin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:39 pm

The Fourth Book is called "Eye of Talon" which I had to obtain in the UK off of Ebay. I did'nt think all of the other 3 books after the original were to bad. I do admit that some of the story was uncalled for and very "Un-Blade Runner" type but at least it gives us alittle more after the movie.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:03 am

I find it irresistible not to say what follows. Imagine that you have a dog, (if you don't like dogs, replace with something else), and it is the perfect dog. OK, maybe the hair could be shinier and the tail is a bit too long, but all in all, is the closest to perfection dog you can dream of. Like everything, death comes one day. You can take the body to a taxidermist and turn it into a sculpture, or there is an obscure rite that can bring back life to the body of your dog, but the barks will not be the same, and the dog forgets the game both of you liked the most to play. In any of the two cases, you are going to get as a result something alike your dog and related to, but you won't get back YOUR DOG. It is not more of the same, it is something else... it lacks the most inner qualities that made your experiences with him/her unique and wonderful. Me, I'd bury the dog for good.

That is the way I feel about BR. Call me whatever you like, but I wouldn't accept everything with the blade runner name or logo on it, because it is "more of blade runner". Buying those low quality books and asking for more (!) is just a way to keep prostituting blade runner, making the ones who can do it produce crap with the blade runner name on it, just because they know it will be sold. (And, ironic as it gets, they hold back the most profitable thing to do: release the SE DVD). I don't want to sound snob, or be like a preacher telling you what you should or should not like (not that you'd accept it if I did), but in some way this film is sacred to me, and I don't like the name used ad libitum as a brand for crappy shit.

That said, doing things with love and respect for BR is not enough. You've got to put the best of you/your team into it, and sometimes (most of them) money is a big constraint. But even with money and all that, if you don't have talent, you don't have it, and even then the things done with enough respect, effort and money, just don't work. These are the words of someone who has never produced anything, maily because of lack of faith in his own talent, but that doesn't mean that I think that nobody has it at all; if that was the case, BR would have not existed and we wouldn't be here. I really appreciate the work of people like BenMund with his props, the "Tech Manual" guy (sorry, the name eludes me right now), and of course, Treybor & Co, whose films I'm eager to see... and judge by their merits.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Nakano KalRonin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:05 pm

Sorry double post.
Last edited by Nakano KalRonin on Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Nakano KalRonin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:05 pm

Well your entitled to your opinion ,but what your saying is that Blade Runner the movie and DADoES book should be the only thing that determines the Blade Runner universe.

My opinion is that I would love to see MORE Blade Runner out there!

"That is the way I feel about BR. Call me whatever you like, but I wouldn't accept everything with the blade runner name or logo on it, because it is "more of blade runner". "

Its not like theres a huge listing of BR Books or 3 sequels of the movie. Theres a decent amount of Props, CD's, and other mechandise from the movie. Theres 3 books that continued the story in a way that I'm sure 99% of BR fans won't like because its not EXACTLY like the movie. If there was a second BR movie, I'm sure it would be alot different than the first like most sequels are.

I also like the movie much better than the books, but I read the books just to see how things could have progressed afterwards. I liked a good portion of the books, but I do admit that there were quite a few parts that were overboard or out of place in the BR world.

All I could suggest is that you don't take the books as fact of what was suppose to happen after the movie. You don't need to read the books, nor do you have to like them, but if your like me, you'll take the parts you do like from the books and think that is how it could have been or how it could fall into place. (The goofiest part of the books was when they made the movie out of Deckards run-in with the Replicants. That was one part I disliked very much.) All in all, the books were entertaining to read and the Movie is still one of the best sci-fi movies to date.
<<

gaijin

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:00 pm

KW Jeter might think he is doing us all a favour by keeping the name of
Blade Runner in print but PK Dick (as far as I can recall) never wrote a proper sequel to any of his books. He might have re-iterated a theme over several of his novels but they were always separated in style or background (and the only one that springs to mind immediately is 'Valis' followed by 'The Divine Invasion').
Scott made a visually and philosophically interesting film out of a philosophical book, which is surely the best a director can do (and all credit to Hampton Fancher and David Peoples for the script). That one movie stands on its own just like the book. Dick was a writer and he doesn't need retreads of his themes (surely?), rather his memory requires good directors to make memorable films about his themes. And I'm not thinking along the lines of 'Total Recall'. In this day and age where is the movie equivalent of 'The Man in the High Castle'? Its not as if Nazism or its style ever went out of fashion (and I am thinking of The Matrix et al)
The Future Is Old

Return to Philip K Dick