FAQ  •  Login

DADoES

<<

BR796164

Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:10 am

Kobold2001 wrote:I just feel BR does things about 1000 times better than the book does.

But what things and how?
<<

Kobold2001

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:53 pm

The cyberpunk atmosphere. The ambiance of the bustling underwold of the street, coulpled with the high-technology and commercial splendour of the high-rise buildings. The interaction between characters is better, but this isn't hard considering PKD's weakest point IMO is his character development. The characters in DADOEL just seemed too false to me, as if no-one would really act in such a hollow way. For example, when the rep disguised as a russian attacks Deckard, the description and dialogue are awful!

I just think the film is much more polished, and has more interesting philosophy. DADOEL deals more with the social side of things, and obsesses over the stupid animals thing. BR on the other hand deals much more with the far more interesting topic of 'what does it mean to be human?'
"More human than human" is our motto....
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:47 pm

My copy of DADOES says it is January, 2021, not 1992... WHY???
[DelRey Edition BLADE RUNNER (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? a novel by Philip K. Dick).]
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Kobold2001

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:09 pm

After Blade Runner was released the date in DADOES was changed to co-incide with the film. I don;t know when it went back to 1992, and I also don;t know why your copy says 2021. It should say 2019. Maybe the publishers got it wrong or something. [shrug]
"More human than human" is our motto....
<<

Scooter

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:40 am

I have a "SF MASTERWORKS' edition, 9th impression 2003, published in Great Britain.

on page 4 it states 'examining the schedule for January 3, 1992, he saw that a businesslike professional attitude was called for'

then on page 15 'by 1990, the variety of subtypes passed all understanding, in the manner of American automobiles of the 1960s'

This pic is on the cover.
Last edited by Scooter on Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memories, You're talking about memories.
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:42 am

Kobold2001 wrote:The cyberpunk atmosphere. The ambiance of the bustling underwold of the street, coulpled with the high-technology and commercial splendour of the high-rise buildings. The interaction between characters is better, but this isn't hard considering PKD's weakest point IMO is his character development. The characters in DADOEL just seemed too false to me, as if no-one would really act in such a hollow way. For example, when the rep disguised as a russian attacks Deckard, the description and dialogue are awful!

I just think the film is much more polished, and has more interesting philosophy. DADOEL deals more with the social side of things, and obsesses over the stupid animals thing. BR on the other hand deals much more with the far more interesting topic of 'what does it mean to be human?'

Keep in mind that there is space long almost 15 years between the book and the movie. The taste of dramatic storytelling is changing. Also, the movies have different ways of expression than which the books must rely on. Dadoes are not cyberpunk, because the book was written long years before this genre came to existence (although Dick is somehow considered for "grandfather of cyberpunk" providing the base elements for younger generation of SF writers).

And sometimes I think that the animals are worth of more empathy than "humans"...
<<

Scooter

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:03 am

Good point BR796164,

what if Blade Runner was made in the 60s when the book was written ?

Remember 2001, A Space Odyssey - it was written in the late 60s by Arthur C Clarke, and the movie was made in 1968.

The book was great, the movie at the time was great, but now it is like a spaced out far out man movie of the 60s.

I'm glad Blade Runner movie wasn't made in the 60's.

http://www.imdb.com/Title?2001%3A+A+Space+Odyssey+(1968)
Memories, You're talking about memories.
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:46 am

Actually "2001" is probably the first case in history when a novel has been based on a movie which came out first. Kubrick and Clarke worked on the movie together, but Kubrick's sense for mystery and "magic of things untold" won over Clarke's rational descriptiveness. In the book Clarke reshaped the story to his liking.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat May 27, 2006 11:45 am

DADoES OnLine

Both DADoES and Blade Runner, I find, compliment each other... along with the different script/screenplay versions. It really opens up ones perspectives of the other. One not "better" than the other, but "part" of the another. :)

As far as the Deckard/Ford association, yes...the two charaters (DADoES+BR) have different mentalities and nature. In my minds eye I see the actor, Matthew Broderick, playing the role of DADoES' Rick Deckard. Also...the role of Phil Resch (A small part in the book) I see Jeff Goldblum.

The film takes place in the year 2019, replacing the novel's 1992 (2021 in later editions).

DADoES online? Sure is!
http://www.bbeesley.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/android.pdf

Cheers!
<<

jfuste

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 am

Re: DADoES

An this online version has:

"He sighed, defeated by her threat. "I'll dial what's on my schedule for today." Examining the schedule for January 3, 1992, "

:D

This point will be a hard work for me. I have more than 50 DADOES editions from around the world. An interesting point to check in all of them! ;)
Previous

Return to Philip K Dick