FAQ  •  Login

Obtaining rights?

<<

THX1138

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Obtaining rights?

I'm thinking about doing a few of Philip K dick's short stories as a series of short films. I have two stories in mind. I've written the screenplays, which are near perfect adaptations to the stories with a few fillers in between scenes. This is mostly for my demo reel and to give me something to do out here in the outback (I'm bored as hell waiting for school to start.)

My question is, with a short story adaptation to screen, do I really need to obtain the rights to the short story in order to do this? For non-profit, especially?

My real, bigger question is if I wrote a longer story based on a shorter Philip K Dick short, do I still need to obtain the rights to that story? Especially if it's changed so much? I guess in all, the real question is: how much do I have to change a story for it not to be considered a "based on" story?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:20 pm

I'm going to preface this by saying I have no knowledge of how the legal process with books and permissions works, but the following is my theory:

It's still based on the story. You need to at least say that. Blade Runner and DADOES are basically similar, but are two very different animoids. Yet BR still makes sure it gives credit where need be.

You would need to give credit if you based it on someone else's story specifically.

I mean, there's a difference between basing it on an idea from a story and an entire story. You dont need the permission of the H. G. Wells estate to write about a time machine. But if you wanted to write something based specifically on the original book itself, you would need to ask.

As you said though, its non-profit, and thats a different field...hell, this is a good question.

I could be completely wrong though.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:19 am

CONTACT

Hiya THX1138.

In regards to PKD's stories, you may try the following routes:

1.) Contact the current publisher, (or last known publisher), of the work in question.

2.) Contact the Philip K. Dick Trust and Electric Shepherd Productions.

Another resource for you: http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/

Good luck!

Do keep me informed of your projects. I'm very interested.

~ Kipple
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:22 am

And that's why we have Kipple. :D
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:31 am

deleted wrote:And that's why we have Kipple. :D

Thanks. :D

I looked into this in the past. I have a story/screenplay that uses a few characters from a PKD story. I did not follow through with the copyright process myself, yet. But, that would be the route to go to obtain permission. I put my "story project" aside for a "music project". But I shall return to it.

I'm anxious to hear how THX1138 works out with his endeavour...and to hear more about his project. :)
<<

THX1138

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Kipple wrote:
deleted wrote:And that's why we have Kipple. :D

Thanks. :D

I looked into this in the past. I have a story/screenplay that uses a few characters from a PKD story. I did not follow through with the copyright process myself, yet. But, that would be the route to go to obtain permission. I put my "story project" aside for a "music project". But I shall return to it.

I'm anxious to hear how THX1138 works out with his endeavour...and to hear more about his project. :)

Yay, an audience already waiting. I've already seen those links to the PKD trust and electric shepherd productions. I'm just hesitant about contacting them until I get everything else sorted out. This post was mostly about copyright questions.

Of course if i was going to base a story on a PKD one, I would definitely give credit to him and his original story. I wouldn't think about doing it any other way. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton

Return to Philip K Dick