FAQ  •  Login

Signed PKD Pulp Magazines on Ebay

<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:12 pm

Signed PKD Pulp Magazines on Ebay

I recently scored this signed by PKD pulp mag on Ebay. The group selling them purchased a huge private collection that was auctioned in the late 1980s. This is probably the only way you will ever get a legit PKD signature.

In The Coming Weeks, We Will Be Offering For Auction, A Collection Of Original Sci-Fi Stories, All Signed By Philip K. Dick.They Are All The Original Sci-Fi Magazines Of The 1950's-1970's That The Short Stories Originally Appeared In.

They have 3 more posted in their online store...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbooksa ... resQQhtZ-1

Philip K. Dick 1928-1982, Legendary Sci-Fi Author, Signed December 1963 Copy Of "AMAZING STORIES" Sci-Fi Magazine, Containing The 92nd Published Work Of Philip K. Dick, "DAYS OF PERKY PAT". Philip K. Dick's Signature Is On Page 55 At The Beginning Of The Story. This Signed Magazine Is An Absolute Must For The Serious Collector Of Philip K. Dick Published Works. This magazine was Part Of A Private Collection Purchased In Santa Cruz, California In 1987.

<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:23 pm

Authenticity?

Wow! Well...I do have my doubts regarding the authenticity of the signature. I mean...how can you tell?

Thanks for the info. though. :)
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:22 pm

Re: Authenticity?

Kipple wrote:Wow! Well...I do have my doubts regarding the authenticity of the signature. I mean...how can you tell?

Thanks for the info. though. :)

Here is his answer to your question...

Hello Nexus Frog. When you buying expensive autographed items, it is important that you know the signature, feel condidant about one you are buying and feel good about the seller Before either buying or bidding. There are several Web Sites that show show scans of celebrity signatures for you to compare what you want checked. For author only, www.fadedgiant.net is great. Another is www.rrauction.com At RR, go to their "Past Auction" section where they show thousands of scans of the autographs they have sold. Alway compare to as many examples as you can, because a signature Jotted on the Street is going to be different than one on a Document. Plus, everyone's signature changes during their life. Look at your own. On ebay, take the time to scroll through a seller's feedback to see why they have any negative comments. Randomly e-mail past customers to see if they are still happy with their purchase. I lived in Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts for over 26 years. Due to the many Universities, Book Stores with Author signings, Performances and the long History of New England, I was able to buy some Great Books, Letters and Ephemera. In 1987, through the Dad of one of my wife's best friend, I was able to buy a large collection of PKD related items in Santa Cruz, California. Items sold quite cheap compared to today's values and I only wish that I had bought more! Always ask questions and be suspicious of every seller out there, especially the large dealers. Take care. Best Regards, Mike Myler
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 pm

I have been looking at and collecting pictures of signatures of the BR cast to see if I can spot fakes. I say a good percentage of them are fake. There are professional forgers out their that can copy just about any signature and it would take forensic evedence to figure those out. To spot easy ones look to see if they seem to flow and have a rythm or if they look carefully written and evenly spaced. If you can look close up look for breaks in the line which mean they may have been traced from an authentic autograph. Also if the pen line thickness that is consistant and ends abruptly instead of trailing off and being variably thick and thin. If a forger stops his pen in the middle of a line while tracing you can see a slight bleed of the ink if it is on absorbant paper also. Unfortunately older people with arthritis or neurological problems can mimic a forged signature because they are more deliberate. Only a specially trained autograph authenticator can tell the difference with the better fakes. At least keep yourself from getting hit by the more obvious ones. Another tell of a fake is if you look online at the sites pointed out above and other sites that show good clear signatures and the one you are interested in matches "Exactly", it is most likely a fake that was traced, or even done by a machine that is made to mimic autographs.

Return to Philip K Dick