FAQ  •  Login

Silly title

<<

Kranak

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Silly title

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Do humans dream of real, live sheep? I don't.
<<

The Abyss Gazes Also

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:44 pm

Re: Silly title

Kranak wrote:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Do humans dream of real, live sheep? I don't.

Hi Kranak,

The novel's title definitely works in the context of the story. The people in the story treat animals as prized possessions, due to their scarcity (owning a horse would be the equivalent of owning a Lamborghini). People tend to dream (or at least fantasize) about the things they covet. The title also addresses the "what does it mean to be human" issue quite well, IMO.
"It would only take a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light."

The Abyss Gazes Also
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:06 am

It's not so much literal about dreaming as in "i fell asleep and I saw sheep in my mind while sleeping" but more like dreaming as in "I dream of finding true love". Deckard dreams of having a real sheep someday to overcome the frustration of having a fake one, and to feel his life is (a little more) true and fulfilling... so he wonders: if a real human dreams of such possession, ?do androids dream of electric sheep?
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

THX1138

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:41 am

Guys. I think he was just a troll. He was looking to start some trouble. I suspected so at first, but seeing as how he has one post, I thought I'd give him a few days to respond. He's a troll.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton

Return to Philip K Dick