FAQ  •  Login

Why did Rachael kill the goat?

<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:51 pm

Why did Rachael kill the goat?

I've been trying to figure this out. I've read the book three or four times and I've not learned the motivation. I read on another forum that she did it as revenge for Deckard's retirement of Roy and all the other androids, but I've never heard anyone ever back that up. Thoughts?
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:12 pm

My opinion is that Androids have no empathy or feelings for other forms of life.. Both Pris and Racheal caused harm to animals - Pris mutilated Isidore's spider and Racheal killed Deckard's goat. I'm sure there are other points of reference towards what I'm suggesting.. But I think this is one reason Racheal did what she did.
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:57 pm

i always thought it was jealousy. he loved and cared for the goat. he always wanted an animal, a real one. he finally got it. another reason i thought was maybe to prove a point. im not sure what, but maybe to prove that animoids are as much animal as replicants were as much human.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:28 pm

At least for me, reading that part of the book made me feel like Racheal's actions seemed be without any clear reason. But it was suggested in the book she wanted Deckard to know who it was that killed his animal - Maybe like you say THX; She was either jealous and proving Deckard that andy's have feelings/empathy, at least her version of android.
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:17 am

She was screwed in head. And jealous.

Return to Philip K Dick