Robot Dick

<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:02 pm

Robot Dick

12:00 AM, 23-JUNE-05

Robot Dick To Appear At Con

An interactive android embodiment of SF author Philip K. Dick will be demonstrated at Wired magazine's upcoming NextFest in Chicago June 25-27, organizers announced. The robot, based on the late author of the works which inspired the films Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall and the upcoming A Scanner Darkly, was created as a joint collaboration between Hanson Robotics, the FedEx Institute of Technology's Institute for Intelligent Systems and the Automation and Robotics Research Institute.

The designers worked closely with Paul Williams, a close friend and former literary executor of the author, to create a lifelike robotic portrait that will be a powerful memorial to Dick and his work, which often featured themes of artificial intelligence and robots with human characteristics.

Programmed to portray Dick in both form and intellect, the robot will be featured in a booth designed as a 1970s apartment where the public can enter and interact with it. It is designed to automatically generate dialogue specifically tailored to the current conversation. Through cameras in its eyes, the robot will be able to track faces, perceive facial expressions, and recognize specific people in the crowd.

Detailed information about the PKD project and the upcoming installation is available on Hanson Robotics' Web Site.
<<

THX1138

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:29 pm

from reading the title.....eeeeeeeewww

sounds a little something like kraftwerk would do. make a robot look/act-a-like
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:40 am

"We can build you", huh? Very interesting... I wonder how close they can come to simulate him intellectually... Anyway, only those who knew him could have an informed opinion about that.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Predrhone

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:18 pm

I saw this in a segment on television and I was a bit shocked. I adore Phil Dick's work... but this seems a little odd to me. I don't know, I'm crazy. With this and the Japanese pleasure--- I mean, humanoid robot dealy... it's getting scary.

Intellectually? Yeah, I'm sure they've come close... "See Dick. See Dick run. See Dick accidentally destroy time and have to reboot the universe on manual override. Run Dick, Run." :P
"I will wait for you, until the sky is blue. I will wait for you, what else can I do?"
<<

THX1138

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:53 pm

it seems the japanese are the more hardcore blade runner fans. by this, i mean look at their technology and how they say it was scifi movies like blade runner who inspired them to make it. the blade runner collectors in japan buying all the rare collectibles, the slides, sketches, the spinners, all the japanese toy companies producing toys for blade runner.

ill let them have the pleasure robots. over here we can get the real thing.

is this legal, i mean making a mechanical replica or clone of someone? whats stopping them from reconstructing his brain from collected dna and trying to clone him in the future? are there or should there be laws against this? i know when i die, i dont want to be reconstructed as a robot replica or statue.
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:39 am

:)

And I am running out of Dick.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:46 am

Fascination

I am fascinated by this project! I hope it tours the country. Maybe museums?

I'll keep up on this topic.

Cheers!

More articles:

PKDANDROID.org

P.K. Dick.com

Chicagoist
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:06 pm

they actually just showed this on "Attack of the show". im writing this as it's on. doesnt sound too human.

AOTS will be on again tonight at 10:00pm and 1:00am (mountain time), so if you have satellite (Dish network) its channel 191. used to be techtv, now its G4.

if you cant tune in, maybe ill be nice enough to download it and edit it down for you to download.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:46 pm

PKD Android Featured on The Science Channel:

Watch the latest clip here.
(Windows Media Player Required)

Return to Philip K Dick