FAQ  •  Login

A scanner darkly screenies

<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Debut on HD DVD & Blu-ray Disc

A Scanner Darkly Debut on HD DVD & Blu-ray Disc April 10, 2007

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--On April 10, Warner Home Video will simultaneously debut A Scanner Darkly in HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc. The films feature all-star casts including Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson. All bonus materials on the Standard Definition version will be included on the high definition versions and will be available for $28.99 SRP.
<<

Velvet Cyberpunk

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun May 20, 2007 11:54 pm

My fiancee loved this film, and I told him that it's as close to the way Dick writes as any movie I've seen. I thought it was fabulous, and reccomend it to anyone who asks for a good newish SF movie...well, Scanner, and Children of Men.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon May 21, 2007 12:58 am

Both those movies had screenplays (at least one version of them) written by Mark Fergus, a brother of a friend of mine. He only got credit for the Children of Men screenplay though. He just directed his first movie First Snow which was released last month with Guy Pierce. BTW, he is also a big BR fan so go see his movie.

Welcome back to Blade Zone,
Andy
<<

Velvet Cyberpunk

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon May 21, 2007 4:43 am

Wow, that's cool. I hope to have a screenplay of mine produced someday...someday.

Thanks for the welcome back, it's good to be here.
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:05 pm

Let's bring this topic back to life. What did you guys think about the movie? I have it sitting on my DVD shelf. It doesn't have much in special features and documentaries. The docs. are O.K. Not the best to watch over and over though, like I can with my Alien Quadrilogy. But what about the movie itself? Anyone have any dislikes with it?

I actually showed it to my friend, who'd not real keen on the whole scifi genre and the thinker stories like Philip Dick's. He liked it. he actually referred it to his other friends and brothers.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:52 am

THX1138 wrote:Let's bring this topic back to life. What did you guys think about the movie?

Saw it together with 735 others in a large movie theater. Collective mind-f**k, so to speak... ;-)

Already owned the book then, but didn't touch it to keep the film experience fresh.

It's one of my favorites now. Totally weird in several aspects: Animation, acting, story, dialogue.

And of course, as everybody who's seen it and knows about other Dickian films can assure you:

It's the most truthful adaptation of P.K.D so far. Maybe ever.

Have a better one,
Martin
<<

THX1138

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:09 pm

martinland wrote:
It's the most truthful adaptation of P.K.D so far. Maybe ever.

Yes. Very true. I think out of everything he's written and everything that's been adapted, this is the best adaptation of not only his story, but his way of thinking and his constant character paranoia. My friend pointed out that their paranoia (for instance, the "orphan gears" scene) often is very humorous, but it's sad because in real life this is the way these people become.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
Previous

Return to Philip K Dick