Other
17%

Total votes : 12
<<

THX1138

Post Sun May 30, 2004 5:16 pm

the game engine

*** Edit Deckard_BR26354 ***

I moved this poll from the 'Mod Forum' which is now closed.

The poll question is 'If we (the fans) created our own Blade Runner mod/level which game engine should we use?'.

*** End Edit ***

which engine should the game be created in
(keep in mind, most people arent hard-core gamers, and dont have the latest hardware, nor do most of them intend to buy the newest hardware for games)
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun May 30, 2004 5:26 pm

I voted Half-life 'cos even though it may be a little limited, it still runs quick on a modest machine - and there are hundreds of pre-built levels already out there to adapt...

...I have to confess that I haven't played any of the latest PC games - I'm a PS2 owner.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun May 30, 2004 7:18 pm

I'd say Deus Ex... that would be some sort of unreal, right?
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

THX1138

Post Sun May 30, 2004 8:47 pm

yeah, Deus Ex ships with the UnrealEditor, to edit multiplayer maps and make your own mods. the DX engine is unreal. just vote Unreal2003 if you want the deus ex engine.

half-life is also good. i havent voted yet because im still in debate against myself, lol. half-life is just a spruced up quake 2 engine, which is why i didnt have q2 as an option.

boy i babble. i should start a blog.
<<

BR796164

Post Sun May 30, 2004 11:52 pm

DEUS EX DEUS EX DEUS EX!

There are testures for chinese commercials and some models wear trenchcoats! :D

In its current state it's closer to Blade runner than any of those abovementioned.
<<

Stardog

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:46 am

I would say no to Deus Ex. There isn't a very big mod community for it.

THX1138 - I thought HL was a spruced up Quake 1 engine.

I think the smart move for making a mod would be the UT2004 engine or the HL2 engine. HL2's supposed to be due late August/September. I don't think anything pre Quake 3 engine could do any justice to the BR universe...

I'd vote HL2 if it was on the list, but i'll vote UT2004.

http://www.ultimate-gamer.com/ut2003/ut2003maps.htm - Here's a link to an INSANELY GOOD Blade Runner map for UT2003, it's 50mb.
<<

THX1138

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:22 am

im thinking of UT2004 as well. i just got the game, and it runs nice on this system, which isnt that good of a game machine. but then again, Deus Ex has all of the envorinments we need. Deus Ex is just using the unreal engine (i dont know what version) as far as i know, half-life is a spruced up quake 1 engine, whichi s why i put quake 3/half-life as a separate item.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:50 pm

so, anyone up for a try? i can put in my current blade runner 3d models from blender using a game exporter i found a while ago. someone else can do the programming/modding, and for texturing, well, that's pretty much covered i think.

this should be something we wont start until we get a lot of people working on it, something like 4 modders, 10 modelers, and some animators. otherwise, well end up like the BR Fallen Angels project, not enough people but so much ambition.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:38 pm

I thought you already tried someone elses BR mod, THX1138?
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:38 pm

no, those were the unreal 2003 levels. we were in the chat when i was downloading it. it didnt work, either because i was using linux, or i was using ut2004, or maybe both.
<<

Lazlow

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:15 am

I voted "other" for the Max Payne 2 engine.
<<

Harmonica

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:16 pm

Hey folks, I've been looking for some time now to see if there was a Blade Runner mod that existed (atleast in theory) for any game engines, and I'm ecstatic at the chance to be involved in the development of one, assuming it gets off the ground. My suggestion would be for the Source, or HL2 engine, it certainly offers the most in terms of, well, everything, and on top of that, will run respectably on a machine that is less than new.

My services would be in the mapping department - I've been mapping in HL for several years now, initially doing little Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat maps. I also did some mapping for MasterSword and The Wastes mods.

I'm not sure whether or not this idea still has any life in it, but I decided to post, hoping that perhaps it does.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:29 am

there's still a little flame left :-)
<<

Harmonica

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:40 pm

What's the word, my man? Anyone left who'd be willing to hop onto this project, excluding you and myself? We certainly don't need a big modding team - infact, a smaller one would suit our purpose well. Has any conceptual work been done so far, or has it just been simply the idea of producing a BR mod?

I'm ready to begin mapping right now, but there's the question of what kind of mod it will be, single or multiplayer, and if multiplayer, what type of gameplay? I've got so many wild ideas I need to tackle and pin down. :roll:
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:10 pm

Harmonica wrote:What's the word, my man? Anyone left who'd be willing to hop onto this project, excluding you and myself? We certainly don't need a big modding team - infact, a smaller one would suit our purpose well. Has any conceptual work been done so far, or has it just been simply the idea of producing a BR mod?

I'm ready to begin mapping right now, but there's the question of what kind of mod it will be, single or multiplayer, and if multiplayer, what type of gameplay? I've got so many wild ideas I need to tackle and pin down. :roll:

its just an idea for now. right now, all i can do is maybe model some weapons and stuff in blender, not really anything hardcore. as foe gameplay, i think we were all thinking it would be a single player campaign. not first person shooter style like in doom or quake, but something like deus ex, an adventure shooter where you run around talking to people and finding clues and stuff. and like in the westwood BR game, if oyu find someone suspected as being a rep, you can retire them where they stand. but if you shoot a human (like on a crowded street or something) you'd be punished for it....game over.
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Game