17%

Total votes : 12
<<

Harmonica

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:42 pm

THX1138 wrote:
Harmonica wrote:What's the word, my man? Anyone left who'd be willing to hop onto this project, excluding you and myself? We certainly don't need a big modding team - infact, a smaller one would suit our purpose well. Has any conceptual work been done so far, or has it just been simply the idea of producing a BR mod?

I'm ready to begin mapping right now, but there's the question of what kind of mod it will be, single or multiplayer, and if multiplayer, what type of gameplay? I've got so many wild ideas I need to tackle and pin down. :roll:

its just an idea for now. right now, all i can do is maybe model some weapons and stuff in blender, not really anything hardcore. as foe gameplay, i think we were all thinking it would be a single player campaign. not first person shooter style like in doom or quake, but something like deus ex, an adventure shooter where you run around talking to people and finding clues and stuff. and like in the westwood BR game, if oyu find someone suspected as being a rep, you can retire them where they stand. but if you shoot a human (like on a crowded street or something) you'd be punished for it....game over.

Here's the issue with going down that road: realistically, there isn't a chance of us ever having the resources to produce something of that calibre. I realize it would be a hell of a trip if done correctly, and has the potential to include the best atmosphere seen in a game, but it really would not be possible for a group of amateur modders to take on a project so expansive.

I'll throw out an idea I've got, for the sake of argument (I've got to argue my point now, having declared the initial idea impossible :lol:). The style is cooperative multiplayer, with all the players on the 'Blade Runner team'. It could be played in first or third person, doesn't really matter at this point. The group of players would be relatively small, perhaps less than ten, but the levels would be populated with tons of NPC characters. Levels could be pretty much anything, set in the city of Los Angeles, in the year 2019. At the beginning of each 'round', several NPC's (could be a few, could be a lot) are randomly picked by a script to be replicants, and it's the players task to pick them out and retire them. This could get very boring and repetitive, so we'd have to leave room for creativity on the part of the players in tracking replicants, deciding whether or not someone is a replicant, and eventually retiring them. This kind of gameplay could lead to some exciting chases and fights, and questioning folks could be part of the system for finding reps.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:49 pm

so kinda of a "hide and seek" for a computer game?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Harmonica

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:50 pm

I suppose you could put it that way, although we'd amp it up a little.
<<

THX1138

Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:54 am

well, like i told patryk earlier, all we'd need to do is export out 3d buildings and vehicles from the movie project to the unreal or quake format using the 3dsmax/maya/blender plugins, and we've got the environment done. basically we'de just need the programming and the weapons modding, and maybe some cinematics.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:17 pm

Why not try and find the guy who created in the Unreal 'movie' trailer and asking if he's any plans on either making a real level or releasing his models...just a thought.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

nexuszix

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:36 am

I asked the guy ages ago and hes turned pro so is very busy ,but he did say

he might attempt the bradbury building at some point .. i'm not holding my breath tho :roll:
" wake up..time to die !"
<<

Horoma

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:43 am

I don't if anyone's still interested in making a BR-mod. But in case someone does, perhaps you might also think about Vampire The Masquarade : Bloodlines. I'm not an expert on modding and such, but I think the game has some qualities that we're looking for.

The game is built on an early version of the HL2-engine. However, the game's not an ordinary shoot-em-up like HL2. VTM:B is a role playing game, built around performing various quests, some do require combat, but others are dialogue-only, or require you te remain unnoticed (sneaking around). The game also has different endings (depending on who you side with).

On the downside, the game is single-player only, I'm not aware of any modding community, and the game is not set in a futuristic setting (but there are several sewer maps, a hotel, Chinatown, ...).

Just wanted to mention it, who knows someone might still be interested. And if not, at least I can recommend this game. I think it would appeal to most fans of the BR-game. Check it out HERE ;)
"Yeah, I’ve seen the data. Implanted memories and four year life span. I’d probably get a little crazy too, but I wouldn’t start killing people."
Previous

Return to The Blade Runner Game