Fans-Its time to unite-Fans

Moderator: BR796164

<<

IceNiCeGuYRuNnEr

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Fans-Its time to unite-Fans

I believe that it is time a new blade runner was developed, I say this because of the fact that Blade Runner made its Final Cut on DVD. This has given it popular demand for all of the "Oh I remember that movie" people. If we get enough people who demand a new game such as myself. We might be able to get Electronic Arts (E.A.)[current owners of Westwood Studios] to think about how popular this old game still really is. I am a game software student in college and also am intrigued on getting the entirety of the games code. If you agree with me in some way put what you want to say and if you'd sign a petition.
<<

Rado

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:20 pm

I'm afraid this particular ship has sailed.

It seemed like a no-brainer for them to re-release the game with full XP compatibility, add an old "making-of" documentary on the DVD and push it in time for the movie as the "final cut". Alas, EA did no such thing and it's too late for them to announce anything new at this point.

Also, I doubt the game is still popular. It never was. Which is a shame, really, but them's the breaks.
<<

Vampire Knight

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:38 pm

Yeah, i pretty much agree with Rado, its seems very unlikely that they would re-release the game at this point (or ever). It just wasn't popular enough. It all comes down to money.

If anything, depending on how popular the final cut has done/will do (in terms of popularity and gross profit), i would expect a new game development to be a no brainer console action flick, designed to target the younger generation of Blade Runner fans. Highly doubtful of course, but this is the way Hollywood and the big multi-national corporations think.

I am impressed with your enthusiasm though Ice :!: , because i, like you, really enjoyed the atmosphere, ambiance and sense of adventure that the game provided. It was unique and highly underrated, yet i am sure thousands of neutral individuals would have found it interesting or even inspiring. So, if you're asking for support, you've got it from me, although i really can't see a petition being effective.

I'm not really convinced we can force a re-release of the 97 game, however, im sure there are a few things we might be able to achieve, heres hoping :wink:
"We humans strive for perfection, yet it is imperfection that makes us who we are"

Richardson, 2007.
<<

Kinkaid

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:58 pm

I hate to say it but I agree with the others about the possibilty of a re-release of the 97 game. But for me personally I love it if EA, BioWare, or any gameing company made a totally brand new Blade Runner game but that's just me. As a matter of fact I know a guy who works at BioWare, he did the sound and music for Mass Effect. If my not help but there is no harm is pass along an idea.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 pm

I also got in touch with some developers who no longer work at EA or Westwood. EA doesn't own the rights to make a Blade Runner game any longer.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:48 am

If not EA, who then?

Indeed, with current technology and hardware available, a new BR game would seriously ROCK.

I still have on my mind something similar to Deus Ex, with open LA to explore.
<<

br_collector

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Is the game owned by the Blade Runner Patnership or EA?
Ubisoft or Capcom would be a good choice if remaking the game.
The only crumple zone on a Cobra is the other car
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:28 pm

br_collector wrote:Is the game owned by the Blade Runner Patnership or EA?
Ubisoft or Capcom would be a good choice if remaking the game.

The game itself would be owned by EA now, since EA bought Westwood (which was formerly the owner of the game.) The RIGHTS to make the game, however, are no longer owned by Westwood or EA, since westwood no longer exists and EA just doesn't own the rights. I guess when EA bought the rights to make a game, they must have had something in their contract that said they could only make 1 game or the license would expire after x number of years.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:16 am

And since they weren't interested in making a sequel, it's at the dead end. :?

I guess at this point the only initiator of a game sequel would be the BR Partnership, am I rite? But would have these two old men, Yorkin and Perenchio any interest?

I'd say give it to Eidos (Deus Ex games) or let the EA keep it. I don't trust Ubisoft to handle it well, they may be good in making militaristic action games, but when it comes to adventures and RPGs, they are poor. Of course a skilled developer is needed in the first place. Spector, Avellone, Levine ... ?

I am pessimistic in this aspect. :(

Return to The Blade Runner Game