Moderator: BR796164

<<

kayzee

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:02 pm

The Genius of Blade Runner

enough said!

No matter if its the film or game....one thing that sets Blade Runner apart from anything else is the genius of its story, the symbolism, the themes and the meaning given to us.

for me the game has had the most impact, others may disagree, but at the age of 13 and getting a new computer with a box full of random games....i picked out Blade Runner havin neva heard of it, and i was blown away by the story, the game play and the graphics.
Perhaps my view may have been different if i read the book before or seen the film( memorable music by vangelis) but the game has had such an impact that it is still my fav. game of all time :!:

:?: What does every 1 else think :?:
-- "All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain." --
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:10 pm

My favourite computer game as well...there is no replacing it!
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:52 pm

Blade Runner is just one of my favorites.

I have had many favorite games over the years. The apparent problem being that each game gets a little better. My favorites are still the puzzle and role-playing games. I started with Wizardry back in 1985 and my most recent favorite being Deus Ex Invisible War.

If you ever get the chance, try these games (listed below) all have had an outstanding or profound impact on me.

Myst:
Myst is an immersive experience that draws you in and won't let you go. It is the first of a long string of puzzle solving games, where travel between dimentions is controlled by magic portal books. The books were creted by a sage named Atrus, a member of the D'ni race (creators of allthe magic books and ages linked to them). The process of creating the books creates the Age/dimension that the book describes.

Master of Orion 2:
Master of Orion 2 is a strategy game set in outer space in the future. You choose to be one of thirteen races to be or make a custom race and try to conquer the galaxy while facing one to seven computer or human(over internet for example) opponents. This is a strategy game in which success is measured by how much pof the galaxy you control.

Duke Nukem 3D:
The original 1st person shooter with attitude. Nukem is a chauvenistic, egomaniac, that enjoys violence, beer and sex. The game is full of it, including Duke one liners that are to funny not to laugh at... (What are you waiting for...Christmas?)

Phantasmagoria: (#1 ... not #2)Phantasmagoria is Sierra's first attempt at a full-blown, live-action, interactive video adventure. Although the acting is not fantastic. It's a good horror story. Best played in the dark, alone....

Blade Runner:
(self evident) :D :D

Riven:
The long-awaited sequel to Myst (100 times better). Artus call you back to rescue his wife from the the clutches of an evil D'ni named Ghent. What many of us missed during that long wait has been a truly provocative story set within a really captivating environment that is so engrossing that you simply do not want to leave to return to reality. Both Myst and Riven seem to be much like reading a novel.

Timelapse:
Your good pal and fellow archaeologist, Dr. Nichols, has disappeared while researching on Easter Island and it's your job to -- guess what-- 1) find him and rescue him and 2) unlock the supernatural/mysterious/fantastic secrets of the work he was in the middle of when he disappeared.

If this sounds like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Easter Island to you, then you pretty much have a handle on the theme of this game. The game theme is a puzzle solving adventure similar to Myst or Riven, but the key theme is to find the common seed civilization for four different ancient cultures--which turns out to be Atlantis. But this is only the begining of the adventure.

Deus Ex:
As the player in Deus Ex you assume the role of JC Denton, a new recruit in the elite anti-terrorist organization UNATCO, or United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition. Crime, terrorism, and disease are all out of control, ravaging the Earth's population quicker than the agencies of government can react to them. One disease in particular, called the Grey Death, is spreading like wildfire across all major cities, causing people very slow and extremely painful demises.

At the beginning of the adventure, the world's most dominant terrorist organization, the NSF or National Secessionist Forces, have intercepted and stolen a government shipment of Ambrosia, the only substance known to cure the Grey Death. In this future the government controls the distribution of Ambrosia, a product manufactured by the U.S. corporation VersaLife. With limited availability and extreme value, the origins of Ambrosia are unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of substances so rare that only minute amounts of the vaccine can be produced. Conspiracy theories, rumors of government involvement in the creation of the Grey Death, and the loyalty and ties of certain UNATCO personnel are all part of a layered storyline that unfolds at the player's discretion based on his or her involvement.

Alice:
Wonderland is a place of childish dreams and fanciful memories for Alice. But after failing to save her parents from a fiery death, Alice finds herself in a sanitarium, her already fragile psyche fractured. Lost in her own world, Alice delves back into Wonderland and discovers that due to her ruined state, Wonderland has become a twisted, sick, and dangerous world.

Once there, Alice finds that the Evil Queen is back in power, that some of her former friends are now her enemies and ultimately the only way for her to straighten things out is to find the Queen and basically butcher her. Along the way, the Cheshire Cat assists her with abstract clues, Turtle leads her through the water maze and the Mad Hatter tries to kill her. This is not the Fairy Tale that Walt Disney made into a cartoon so many years ago.

Deus Ex - Invisible War:
It is twenty years since the end of the global conspiracy depicted in Deus Ex. In the aftermath, a catastrophic depression has crippled the world and warring corporate governments use terrorism as the primary tool to enforce their own violently destructive agendas.

A few days before the start of Deus Ex: Invisible War, Alex D is roused from sleep and rushed to a secret airfield to be transported away from the only world he (or she, if the player so chooses) has ever known. Confined to a new training facility in Seattle "for his own safety," Alex learns that the city of Chicago, his home, was completely destroyed by a terrorist nanotech attack.

The only fragments of Alex's former world are now confined to the training facility in Seattle: Billie Adams (a fellow trainee from Chicago), two other students from the Seattle program and - always - the expectation that the mysterious rites and trials of his training will lead to a lucrative job as a corporate mercenary and spy. These things, too, are about to fly apart, however. As covert anti-terrorist operative Alex D. you are thrust into a hornet's nest of conflict, conspiracy and doubt.

The future----
What I'd really like to see is a Blade Runner game using up-to-date technology. A role-playing game similar to Deus Ex, where all the game choices have an effect on the adventure and the outcome of the game. Something with the amazing interactive 3D of Unreal 2004 or Deus Ex, but with the atmosphere of a Film Noir/Ridley Scott feature.
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free....
<<

br_collector

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:44 am

Yes, I remember when I was 6 my dad has just got home from a business conference in another town, and with him was our first computer and 1 game - Blade Runner, after finishing the game (which took me 6 months with no guide) something sparked in my brain and ever scince - I've just really loved Blade runner.
The only crumple zone on a Cobra is the other car
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:32 pm

Trybor: i see you also have invisible war on your list. im not sure i would put it at the top of my list just yet, im still playing it. so far, the plot is.....slow. do you know if it gets any faster and better? its good as is, just a little slow moving.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Deckard234

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:32 am

I would add Halflife 2 which is a awsome game.I too would love to see a new bladerunner game using the technology available today, it could be spectacular.maybe it could use the halflife 2 source engine.

Roger
'In time all these moments will be lost, like tears in the rain'
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:50 am

If it wuld demand a registration on a developer's server in order to install the game, plus running the utility while you play it, then no, thanks.

:evil:

I think HL2 is overhyped. Very good game, but not worth of the heated extasy. Best game of all times? Duh.

Return to The Blade Runner Game