14%

Total votes : 21
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:17 am

Replicants are

i'm not sure if this was allready discussed here around.
if yes then lets do it again and see what have changed.

There are some issue about the replicants that were not answered during the film.
During working on the Animated Fan movie we came across with questions, however this is one question that was difficult to find an answer on, bucause there isn't any answer on given neither in the book, film or the game.

But maybe here can the answer be found, not based on the facts but by all you thoughts and suggestions.
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:54 am

I remember DADOES suggesting that they are organic or at least half organic, while animoids (arteficial animals) are mechanical.

Clones - that would be the popular answer these days.

But the movie suggests that they are assembled from organic parts - Chew's eyes and so on.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:09 pm

BR7916: exactly what i said in the TP forums. heres my quotes:

"i think of it like this: they are still robots, but at the same time, they are also clones.

when you build a robot, you get all the parts like the motors, sensors, wheels, bolts, and you put it all together and it works.

same thing with this: they are genetically engineered clones. they clone different body parts, like brains, muscles, etc..., and they assmble it all into the body, or skin, and make a sorta robot. and then they use the face of who it was originally based on (but modified), and give them memories, and there ya go, a replicant."

and later i posted another one saying:

"i said they were like robots. i was comparing them to robots. a cybord would be likw robocop, living tissue that is required for the mechanical parts to work properly. without the flesh, the mechanics wont work. that's a cyborg. replicants, i said, were assembled like robots: body organs being grown in labs, muscle tissue being super developed for strength, then they sort put them alltogether to make a replicant, using the lconed organs as the parts.

maybe bladezone forums can define it better."

that, in a nutshell, is a replicant. like BR716 said, yes, they are not clones, they are assembled, like in a giant factory. parts are engineered like the eyes (chews), and whatever else, and assemled into a template body, like a living model kit.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 am

Yes, I agree with THX. And the cells might be altered with bio/nano technology to incorporate polymers (spelling?) into the tissue, giving the superior resistance and performance, especially to skin cells.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:46 pm

hmmm this is very interesting

Sebastian was a genetic engineer
Tyrell was the God of biomechanics
the blimp advertisement said that they were genetically engineered

so i guess im gonna be with the group that says theyre genetically enhanced/engineered clones

isnt it explained in more detail in the KW jeter books?
do we want to go with what he says?
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:31 pm

it seems that the poll choices might be a bit confusing. It seems most posts say they are combined organic and mechanical, but voted that in the poll. It sounds to me also that they were genetically engineered from multiple sources so therefore really are not clones which are an exact duplicate if the origional source. They does also seem to be some inference to some sort of mechanical parts when you read about roys tattoos and even the term "skin-job". But if they were mechanical in anyway a simple x-ray would be able to detect them and then you wouldn't need any voigt-kamf to screen for them.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:06 pm

I agree with Ridleynoir..NOT clones. Bio-engineered. A technology that I don't believe will be up to par by 2019. Had the library of Alexandria not been destroyed...I believe we would have colonised Mars by now and been moving beyond this solar system. But that's another topic entirely. And who's to say...maybe if we had saved those "scrolls" perhaps we would have destroyed ourselves centurys ago.
Cheers!
<<

sir kris

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:26 am

Aren't they a bit of both? Is it not plausible that they are flesh and blood 'human' replicas created with cloned organs and body parts? And of course integrated with some arftificial components like Roy's iron plated skull eh? :wink:
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:57 am

and if they are just clones, how do they make them have that 4 year life span? i mean, a clone is an exact copy. now that they've been altered to have a 4 year life span, it's no longer considered a clone. the only way to do that is if they genetically engineer them. then they have full control over what body organs have what functions, how long they regenerate/reproduce, etc...

also, what about the bone marrow analysis? the only (true) way to find out if you're a rep. Tyrell corp., according to BenMund's well done pictures, has put their logo on it. you cant do that with a clone. this logo is the sign that it's a replicant.
<<

sir kris

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:11 pm

ok how about 'genetically engineered clones' then :?
<<

Mr. Fusion

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:32 pm

Well they definitely have human organs, and I don't think there's any 'robot' in a Replicant, but I have my doubts on the clone issue, but they are definitely genetically engineered.
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:56 am

So in the most common answers they are fully organic.

More human than human.

Well then what about re-production, humans with replicants?
<<

Mr. Fusion

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:25 am

Patryk Wawer wrote:Well then what about re-production, humans with replicants?

Ooo, that's a tough one. Not that I'm the scientific expert on this or anything, but personally I would assume reproduction is another 'failsafe' built into a Replicant. I mean if the Tyrell Corporation doesn't want the artificial being to exist for more than 4 years (I'm talking the average Rep, not the Deckard or Rachael 'Special Edition') then why would one be allowed to procreate and bring another replicant into the World with the same murderous desire for more life?

In this case, I would guess 'no'. Don't want to overthink this but in the movie, Tyrell explains that in giving a Replicant (a fully-grown adult being) artificial memories, this is a useful way in controlling them. Now, this is just me, but I don't think the artificial memories are built into the genetic structure of a Replicant, so the baby's not going to have the artificial memories and therefore loses that 'Tyrell method of control'. So now it's a security issue.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:17 am

yes. not to mention the genetic cross-over. if replicants could reproduce, the child would be equally as strong as the replicant was. i would think that tyrell corp. wouldnt want this to happen because then, really, what would be the difference between human and rep? the child is one with the crowd. and he goes off and reproduces like a rabbit, and so on and so and, and now the human race has super-human strength.
<<

sir kris

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:39 am

THX1138 wrote:yes. not to mention the genetic cross-over. if replicants could reproduce, the child would be equally as strong as the replicant was. i would think that tyrell corp. wouldnt want this to happen because then, really, what would be the difference between human and rep? the child is one with the crowd. and he goes off and reproduces like a rabbit, and so on and so and, and now the human race has super-human strength.

but what of the 4 year life span? (btw did this only apply to NEXUS6 generations reps?) If they were somehow able to produce offspring within their set lifespan (which I doubt they have the ability to do), wouldn't the child also be at the mercy of the 'expiry' gene. So the rep child would die at age 4 wouldn't it? Man this is quite a weird discussion :?
Next

Return to Android Science