<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:37 pm

The asimo, this is how it begins

http://world.honda.com/robot/

http://www.asimo.honda.com/

Watch ALL the movies on both sites, and pay special attention to the technical specs on the first link, it shows the "evolution" of the asimo. All very sci-fi and creepy.

Unless this is a very elaborate hoax/ad for I-robot, we're headed into dark waters . . .

I don't think this is a hoax, by the way. And who knows, one of our technilogical advances may benefit mankind, instead of pollute, or destroy. I don't mean to be a pessimist. :) Honestly.

I just see Tom Selleck and Harrison Ford shooting robots and think . . . . ASIMO!
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:54 pm

yes, i saw some video of it on techtv a while back. looks very cool. give it a gun and law enforcement programming and you'd have robocop, that's what i thought. very awsome. it could balance on one foot, walk like a human, and *wave*. i want one of these.

all they need to do now is rename it to nexus 1. add some rubber skin, nexus 2.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:55 pm

Robot trumpets Toyota's know-how

Toyota's president sees the robot as a symbol for the car maker
A trumpet-playing robot has been developed by Japanese car maker Toyota

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3501336.stm

Mechanical lips and dexterous fingers...

Cheers!
<<

Mr. Fusion

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:35 pm

The asimo: One of the reasons i bought a Honda.

Course, I've liked Honda for a while. But when I saw they make robots, i went after one. :D
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:38 am

*Baracades self inside fortified compound, PKD trained on door*
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Asimo breaks new ground in robot movement

here

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. unveiled an upgraded version of its Asimo humanoid robot Tuesday that can move at a speed of 6 kilometers per hour and perform a greater number of tasks such as passing a tray.

Compared with its predecessor models, the new Asimo can better interact with people -- for example, walking hand in hand with a person.

Visual sensors, a floor surface sensor and an ultrasonic sensor have been built into the robot along with an IC card to help it recognize its surroundings, Honda said.

The robot can run various errands, including carrying objects using a cart and acting as a receptionist or guide.

Even if the movement of the cart is disturbed, Asimo can continue to carry the object by slowing down or changing direction, Honda said.

The speed of movement of the new Asimo is double that of its predecessor, Honda said. The new Asimo can move in circles.

The robot's ability to move in a circular pattern at a high speed has been improved by tilting the center of gravity of its body inside of the circle to maintain balance with the amount of centrifugal force experienced, the company said.

The major carmaker will begin operating the latest model of Asimo next spring next year at its office in Wako, Saitama Prefecture.

Return to Android Science