FAQ  •  Login

Human, humanity, or humane?

<<

dan-freefall

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu May 10, 2007 7:53 am

Human, humanity, or humane?

For me BR brought into question not only the worrying vision of future noir but also our humanity. In this vision of the future we have mastered genetics down to synthesising organic versions of robots for servitude. They are identical to humans, are possibly even made from organs produced through stem cell technology, (scarily close isnt it?), and the nexus 6 is aware of its being and feelings. The major difference between us and them is that they were not born of man and that their personalities are programmed directly. How is this any different to what we can currently do indirectly with education or even genetic engineering soon? This parallels Gattaca with its vision of a genetically engineered future.

Sci-fi has always had the idea that highly advanced machines would have some organic element to them. Im of the opinion that we are highly advanced forms of machine but with organic components. Our emotions are based on codes and conventions. Psychologists have proved that our actions are based on environment and genetics. When one of use goes crazy chemical imbalances or poor environment is often blamed.

In the BR future replicants are slaves, second class beings, but they more than reflect our own image. As the future draws closer and the interaction between man and machine increases. (furbys freaked the hell out of me - couldn't actually bring myself to throw the bugger away!) My question is that while deckard or anyone could be a replicant or human does this really matter? surely what matters is the question of how humane do you have to be to be human? If no you didnt know the truth about Rachael you would happily work and live with her - the moment you find out she was artificially created could, but shouldn't, change anything.

Just a few thoughts really :roll:
<<

The Abyss Gazes Also

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri May 11, 2007 11:53 am

Just a few thoughts of my own. :wink:

dan-freefall wrote:For me BR brought into question not only the worrying vision of future noir but also our humanity. In this vision of the future we have mastered genetics down to synthesising organic versions of robots for servitude. They are identical to humans, are possibly even made from organs produced through stem cell technology, (scarily close isnt it?), and the nexus 6 is aware of its being and feelings.

But how deep is the awareness of their feelings? With their limited lifespan, they certainly don't have an understanding of their emotions. They may begin experiencing feelings toward the end of their life, but they certainly cannot control or direct them to any great degree.

dan-freefall wrote:The major difference between us and them is that they were not born of man and that their personalities are programmed directly. How is this any different to what we can currently do indirectly with education or even genetic engineering soon?

The major difference is time. To quote Tyrell himself, "After all, they are emotionally inexperienced with only a few years in which to store up the experiences which you and I take for granted." Replicants don't have enough time to do much with the primitive emotions they are learning.

dan-freefall wrote:My question is that while deckard or anyone could be a replicant or human does this really matter? surely what matters is the question of how humane do you have to be to be human?

Well, to be humane you have to be able to empathize, right?

Replicants, with their creator-imposed limited lifespan, are not able to develop a sophisticated level of empathy. Therefore, they cannot be humane to any great degree.

I think that's why a lot of folks (including me) have a problem with Deckard being a replicant. What's the point of Deckard beginning to learn empathy when he's doomed to a 4-year lifespan?

While I agree that in the Director's Cut there's plenty to support the idea that Deckard is a replicant, there's nothing in the film to indicate that he will live beyond the 4-year lifespan (plenty of speculation, but no hard evidence).

On the other hand, Deckard as a human opens up greater possibilities for him and his impact on others. IMO, Deckard is re-learning empathy (regaining his humanity by seeing the beginnings of humanity in the replicants). By the end of the film, he's learned empathy for replicants and even a deeper care for Rachel. With a human lifespan, Deckard's re-emerging empathy can have a greater effect on him. What he does with that empathy can have a greater effect on others.
"It would only take a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light."

The Abyss Gazes Also
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri May 11, 2007 5:50 pm

Good questions Dan-FreeFall. Great responses from Abyss Gazes Also.

When it comes to empathy and Blade Runner, Abyss hit the nail. The book, DADoES, gets more involved with empathy with the android verses human scenario.

That said...besides the lack of empathy and the Replicants' short life span, is there really a difference between a Replicant and a human? Only that the Replicant is "perfect", (Or has the potential to be.). They could be modified to resist diseases, have high IQs, be physically desirable for whatever function in society, etc.

Extend their life span, give them the skills to learn empathy, and give them the means to self replicate, and the human race may create yet another means of extinction of the human race.

Return to Android Science