FAQ  •  Login

Ridley talks Blade Runner sequal...

<<

ridleynoir

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1335

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:00 pm

Location: Rochester NY

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:28 pm

Ridley talks Blade Runner sequal...

...at comicon
WHAT????

So where is our local reporting staff?
Image
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:51 am

Scott said a long time ago he believed a sequel could be done. If all this new final cut dvd stuff was hype for a sequel I'm not surprised.

However, his comments are not as strong as they could be in indicating a sequel WILL happen, but that there are enough ideas out there that it is plausible.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

msgeek

User avatar

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Posts: 416

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Location: Paranoia City, Valley Sector, LA County

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:34 pm

That Ridley. What a tease.

That said, the best thing he could do is get with a good Japanese animation studio like Production IG and do a sequel anime. Japan has always been the place where BR fandom has been strongest, and BR influences have constantly leaked into anime as diverse as Bubblegum Crisis, Cowboy Bebop and the whole Ghost In The Shell universe.

An animated sequel could allow Scott to do other projects and still supervise the project. It would mean literally no limits to what could be on screen. One of Scott's biggest disappointments were all the compromises that needed to happen to get the movie done. And of course, they had to get Harrison Ford's son Ben -- a guy who'd rather be a chef than an actor -- to double for his dad. Joanna Cassidy doesn't seem to have aged in the intervening 25 years, but everyone else has...umm..."acquired a patina" to be polite.

I wonder if Scott would be open to doing this in animation?
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:22 pm

msgeek wrote:That Ridley. What a tease.

That said, the best thing he could do is get with a good Japanese animation studio like Production IG and do a sequel anime. Japan has always been the place where BR fandom has been strongest, and BR influences have constantly leaked into anime as diverse as Bubblegum Crisis, Cowboy Bebop and the whole Ghost In The Shell universe.

An animated sequel could allow Scott to do other projects and still supervise the project. It would mean literally no limits to what could be on screen. One of Scott's biggest disappointments were all the compromises that needed to happen to get the movie done. And of course, they had to get Harrison Ford's son Ben -- a guy who'd rather be a chef than an actor -- to double for his dad. Joanna Cassidy doesn't seem to have aged in the intervening 25 years, but everyone else has...umm..."acquired a patina" to be polite.

I wonder if Scott would be open to doing this in animation?

You know, I've always been against a live action sequel...

But a Blade Runner anime done by the Cowboy Bebop people? SHIT yeah. :D

Oh, as for Ben Ford, his mouth and chin are being added, the rest should be Harrison.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1335

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:00 pm

Location: Rochester NY

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:05 pm

I used to pray for the day a BR sequal came out. Now I am okay with it as is. BR was a a bunch of things that came together right (and not so right). As much as I would love to continue visiting the world created in BR and continue all the unfinished stories from the film, I think a sequal might not be the best Idea. Anime versions could be cool for sure. I am actually more excited though, for the idea that Ridley will once again do another science fiction film, BR or otherwise. I think his talents truly shine when he creates as much of the world as possible.
Image
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:56 pm

Scott has done two sci fi films, and both are superb classics of the genre. If he does a third, I have no doubt it will be a continued reflection of his excellence.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Gene Ettix

User avatar

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Posts: 618

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 6:00 pm

Location: Tyrell Corp. U.S.

Post Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 am

ridleynoir wrote:I used to pray for the day a BR sequal came out. Now I am okay with it as is. BR was a a bunch of things that came together right (and not so right). As much as I would love to continue visiting the world created in BR and continue all the unfinished stories from the film, I think a sequal might not be the best Idea. Anime versions could be cool for sure. I am actually more excited though, for the idea that Ridley will once again do another science fiction film, BR or otherwise. I think his talents truly shine when he creates as much of the world as possible.


What he said.
I couldn't have said it better.
ImageImageImage
<<

Centauro

User avatar

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Posts: 729

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2001 6:00 pm

Location: Bogota, DC [CO]

Post Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:13 am

deleted wrote:But a Blade Runner anime done by the Cowboy Bebop people? SHIT yeah. :D

If it wasn't a direct sequel but a new series, it would be awesome. I completely agree with ridleynoir: One comes to not wish the sequel, but the want for seeing more of the BR universe never wanes.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

Image
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Centauro wrote:
deleted wrote:But a Blade Runner anime done by the Cowboy Bebop people? SHIT yeah. :D

If it wasn't a direct sequel but a new series, it would be awesome. I completely agree with ridleynoir: One comes to not wish the sequel, but the want for seeing more of the BR universe never wanes.

I agree as well. I'm still against a direct sequel.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1335

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:00 pm

Location: Rochester NY

Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:36 am

A good long Ridley Scott interview about BR...

http://blog.viddler.com/cdevroe/ridley-scott/

The page also has a link to a Sean Young interview from SDCC
Image
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:32 pm

ridleynoir wrote:A good long Ridley Scott interview about BR...

http://blog.viddler.com/cdevroe/ridley-scott/

The page also has a link to a Sean Young interview from SDCC

Great stuff. Now I have to figure out how to download it...
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1335

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:00 pm

Location: Rochester NY

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:49 am

CHUD.com has a transcript of it...kind of...

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=interviews&id=11274
Image
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:46 pm

ridleynoir wrote:CHUD.com has a transcript of it...kind of...

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=interviews&id=11274

Thanks, I'll take a read.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kipple

User avatar

Honorary Member

Posts: 1266

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Location: Satellite 2

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:10 am

LATEST: Director RIDLEY SCOTT has played down reports he plans on making a sequel to his cult 1982 movie BLADE RUNNER. Last week (ends03Aug07), the 69-year-old filmmaker promised to consider all Blade Runner sequel script submissions from budding screenwriters. However, Scott admits he is unlikely to ever film a follow-up, although he has nothing against a sequel being made. He says, "There is no sequel. And I intend probably never to do a sequel... If they want to do a sequel? Fine."
Image
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:46 pm

If Scott isn't doing a direct live-action sequel, then they shouldn't do one at all.

Also, he's going to be 70 this year...wow, I can't believe how time is passing with him.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron