FAQ  •  Login

All of this final cut and special edition DVD stuff...

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:08 pm

All of this final cut and special edition DVD stuff...

Is this all a massive precursor for a Ridley Scott sequel?
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:52 pm

I kind of wondered that myself, heh. Hard to say. I suppose if the DVDs sell well enough it might give them incentive to make another film, but who knows?
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Given the nature of thr relationship of the owners, it is unlikely that any work would get done.

Remember that this "new set" was originally considered complete in 2001!
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:37 am

I'm sure if Perenchio smelled money he'd get behind a sequel.

I don't want to see a live-action sequel. Too limiting. Too constraining. I want to see the sequel done as a collaboration between a top-shelf Anime studio (I'm thinking Production IG or Studio 4 Degrees Celsius here) and a team of animation production pros in America. Warner Bros., the Wachovski Brothers and Studio 4 Degrees Celsius did this with The Animatrix, and did this with a great deal of success. Michael Arias recently did Tekkonkinkreet, the first full-length theatrical Anime directed by an American director.

Animation would mean that the original cast (or more accurately, those original cast whose characters survived the first movie) could be reunited to do voices. Animation would mean a Syd Mead-designed world (or many worlds) without limits. Tekkonkinkreet was amazing in its pulling together of 2D, CGI and sort of a 2.5D CGI at once. Ghost In The Shell II: Innocence also married traditional and CGI animation brilliantly.

Ideally, I would love to see this as a "jam" between Syd Mead, Oshii Mamoru, Morimoto Koji and Michael Arias. Arias would be key because he is completely bilingual and also "speaks animator"...he understands the production process on both sides of the Pacific. There are some similarities, but there are some big honking differences as well between how they do animation in Japan and how they do it here in the US. Actually Peter Chung, the guy who brought us the BR-esque world of Aeon Flux, could be a similar mediator between the Japanese and American teams, because he too understands the same things Arias does and is trilingual not only in English and Japanese but Korean as well, helpful when you consider a lot of "offshore" work is still done at Korean studios for both the US and Japanese animation industry. However, he has a very distinct artistic style which might or might not work with BR.

However, I would like to see KW Jeter kept as far away as possible from the proceedings. As much as "The Edge of Human" could make a potboiler of a sequel, I think he made a few "zags" in the continuum of the BR movie universe that are somewhat unwelcome. And I really don't feel that his tendency to bring in his amputation fetishism is especially welcome either. Then who to write the story? Let it write itself in the pre-production phase, after first establishing some ground rules, rooted in the movie, particularly in whatever the "Final Cut" aka the "Definitive Cut" works out to be.

Of course, this means that an animated Blade Runner II would be self-limiting in its American audience, seeing that most people still see animation as kidfeed and unfit for adults. However, Anime is considered just another dialect of Cinema in Japan. And Blade Runner was so much bigger there than it is in America. And Europe is more amenable to animation as a way of making movies which don't necessarily pander to children.

Blade Runner stands on its own, and if there never is a sequel/prequel I'm cool with that. However, I think it would be as much a mistake to do a sequel in live action as it was for all those live action remakes of cartoons and the butchery-by-CGI of the Star Wars franchise. Animation truly means "no limits." You want to take the trip Off World? Animation can do that. Live action can also do it, but it usually means lots and lots of compromises even in this day and age of photorealistic CGI. However, you don't have to make as many compromises in animation. Considering how expensive live-action Genre moviemaking has become and how the costs and requirements of animation have gone down at the same time, it makes economic sense too.

Blade Runner II: The Anime.
Have I gone insane, or would this rock?
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:27 am

I think it is almost a no brainer. With the right story it could totaly work. I agree also that the Jeter books would not work. He was more interested in making the Movie more like the PKDick Book (his mentor), and his reverence was for the book, and not the movie. Instead of combining the two mediums worlds, he lost the magic of both.

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel