FAQ  •  Login

Maybe it's time for a remake

<<

Sharon

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:37 am

Maybe it's time for a remake

Ok, ok. I know that was just a tremendous movie, but times go by etc... Maybe it's time for a new version? just imagine - nice special effects, actors (that's a problem i guess)... What do yiou think about this?
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:32 am

(Moved from the Round Table)

Erm, there is some discussion in this forum about the question you raise. Without re-reading the posts, my recollection is that the majority of the 'regulars' round here would prefer a 'side-equel' rather than a remake or a sequel/prequel - in other words, a new movie made in the same 'universe' as Blade Runner, but not directly 'interacting' with the existing characters and plot.

There are separate threads about traditional models versus CGI - my own preference is for traditional models - even the best CGI guys will admit that there's something about traditional models that is very difficult to get right with CGI; I think it's something to do with the scale and the lighting.

Then there's questions about whether Ridley should be involved - can other director's do justice to the 'look and feel' of the original Blade Runner movie?

Oh and hell will freeze over before Harrison Ford will have anything to do with a new Blade Runner project, so there's no chance of Deckard reappearing any time soon...
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:56 am

I would prefer a sequel to a remake. Sequel make you go out and see the origional. Remakes, even when bad can make people forget about the origional. Almost nobody nowadays has even seen the origionals for "the Thing", "War of the Worlds", "the Fog" or "house of Wax". I had two people betting me the other day that Al Pacino was not in "Carlito's Way"...though technically not a remake. How soon we all forget. Viva la Blade Runner...
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:26 am

*lurk*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKK!!!!!
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:58 am

ridleynoir wrote:I would prefer a sequel to a remake. Sequel make you go out and see the origional. Remakes, even when bad can make people forget about the origional. Almost nobody nowadays has even seen the origionals for "the Thing", "War of the Worlds", "the Fog" or "house of Wax". I had two people betting me the other day that Al Pacino was not in "Carlito's Way"...though technically not a remake. How soon we all forget. Viva la Blade Runner...

How true. I have seen the originals to those though. Sad thing is, my little brothers grow up in this age without seeing the originals, be it War of the Worlds, the Fog, the Thing, or in the future...Blade Runner (yeah, they havent seen it yet, they're only 13) Let's not forget King Kong. how many times has that been remade? What improvements on the original story have they made? to me, i think i said this before in another sequel thread, if you can't bring something new to the table, it's a sad and useless attempt.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

nexuszix

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:10 pm

How about we get Tony scott to direct it and get val kilmer and tom cruise in it
:lol:
" wake up..time to die !"
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm

nexuszix wrote:How about we get Tony scott to direct it and get val kilmer and tom cruise in it
:lol:

yeah. Blade Runner: Top Gun style.

There's no points for second place.

Really though, I've rethought all my previous arguments about having James Cameron or David Fincher do a remake/sequel. They're still good choices, but now with the release of Batman Begins, I really like Christopher Nolan as a choice.
<<

FieryTheAngelsFell

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:15 am

Ah, you can't be serious. What a painful suggestion. That movie is FRESHER than anything current-- better look feel soundtrack script-- it's got Harrison flocking FORD, Rutger Hauer (NO REPLACEMENT ROY BATTY OR DECKARD). It was perfect as it was.

Nothing good can come of rehashing old science fiction anyway. The essence of the genre should be moving FORWARD, after all.

What I suggest is that someone find something NEW to say in sci fi, and I will listen. Until then I will be over here with my copy of Blade Runner and an ice mocha killing my brain and frying my nerves at one A.M.
"I want more life-- FUCKER."
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:41 am

FieryTheAngelsFell wrote:
"What I suggest is that someone find something NEW to say in sci fi..."

Couldn't agree with you more!
Welcome to the Forums!

Cheers!
<<

THX1138

Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:15 pm

Kipple wrote:FieryTheAngelsFell wrote:
"What I suggest is that someone find something NEW to say in sci fi..."

Couldn't agree with you more!
Welcome to the Forums!

Cheers!

Yes. This is what I'm always ranting and raving on about, as most people here already know me. I think hollywood is at a dead end though, and it's time for a reboot like they did in the 70's.
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:47 pm

Here is a wacky idea:

Why not a direct translation of the novel to the screen. Wait, I know this is a shocking idea, but it has rarely (if ever) been successfully attempted before.

DADoES would be an interesting film if it were ever made.

I suggest the Coen Bros to make it too.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:55 pm

Masao wrote:Here is a wacky idea:

Why not a direct translation of the novel to the screen. Wait, I know this is a shocking idea, but it has rarely (if ever) been successfully attempted before.

Excellent option. If I had the $$$$$$$$$$ and what-not that would be what I'd do. I don't think I'd use any "known/popular" actors though.

Cheers!
<<

The Abyss Gazes Also

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:24 am

Masao wrote:Here is a wacky idea:

I suggest the Coen Bros to make it too.

It's a great idea for those of us who are fans of the novel, but I don't know if even the Coens could overcome the "Blade Runner" baggage of making a film with a protagonist named Deckard and replicants named Roy Baty, Pris & Rachel. As great as it could be, these names and the basic situations/setting are cinematically linked to Blade Runner in most moviegoers minds.

If it was done, I'd also want it to be a small production with relative unknowns in the roles and a limited release. It might signify a welcome return to the more intimate films of the 70s.

Shall we begin the casting?

First nomination for Deckard (off the top of my head): Cillian Murphy
"It would only take a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light."

The Abyss Gazes Also
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:38 pm

I was talking to me brother about this a few weeks ago. If there was a direct screen adaption of DADOES, who would play deckard and phil resch? We both agreed Michael Biehn would make a good Deckard, and Bill Paxton would be a nice Phil. Michael Biehn is still pretty much an unknown actor, Bill Paxton is recognizeable, but still not a big star.
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 pm

The other option of course is to stay true to PKD while creating a sequel. Too much of PKD is lost in BR as it is, but it is still underlying the premise of the story.

I would fill the gaps of BR in the sequel with DADoES like the game did. This could make it really paranoid and inenigmatic.

All questions would be answered in the third and final story.

I have a few ideas about this subject but they need to get to someone who can actually put them to use.

Thinking up plot twists is a hobby of mine. :twisted:

Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.
Steve Jobs

So that makes Steve Jobs a follower right?? ;)
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel