FAQ  •  Login

The Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel Debate

Should there be a prequel/sequel to Blade Runner?

yes
49%
no
51%

Total votes : 39
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 am

My vote is No.

Even if Ridley Scott made the prequel or sequel, it would not be as unique as the first.

For myself, part of what makes Blade Runner so fascinating is its mysterious quality. The enjoyment is not in the details but the lack of. I don't see how another Blade Runner film could keep that quality. Naturally a sequel or even a prequel would want to present a greater scope on the Blade Runner world. If we learned more about the Off World colonies, would Deckard's Los Angeles be as tragic? There is a domino effect of story elements like that, that if explained would lessen the impact of the first film.
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:20 am

Re: My vote is Yes, but not Ridley except as an Art Director

Noneoftheabove wrote:Even if Ridley Scott made the prequel or sequel, it would not be as unique as the first.

For myself, part of what makes Blade Runner so fascinating is its mysterious quality. The enjoyment is not in the details but the lack of. I don't see how another Blade Runner film could keep that quality. Naturally a sequel or even a prequel would want to present a greater scope on the Blade Runner world. If we learned more about the Off World colonies, would Deckard's Los Angeles be as tragic? There is a domino effect of story elements like that, that if explained would lessen the impact of the first film.

I have to agree about some of the mystery, but at some point, the real story has to emerge. Any prequel would need to be revealed in a sequel and not before. The destructiveness of prequels can be demonstrated with Star Wars. There are currently new fans that think ANH is the fourth film!

There are a lot of inherent problems that are not resolved in the story, but if taken all together; the bonus material reveals a whole new perspective.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Chronologically, it is the 4th film. And it IS called Episode 4.

And I agree about a sequel taking a way from the uniqueness of the first.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:18 pm

deleted wrote:Chronologically, it is the 4th film. And it IS called Episode 4.

That's what I was thinking, too. The 1st three to be filmed are the last three in the story, right? Hell... and I don't even like star wars!
*uh oh... can o' worms*
ImageImageImage
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Gene Ettix wrote:That's what I was thinking, too. The 1st three to be filmed are the last three in the story, right? Hell... and I don't even like star wars!
*uh oh... can o' worms*

Actually, there are at least story outlines somewhere at Lucasfilm for Episodes 7, 8 and 9. The series was originally mapped out this way:

First filmed: Episodes 4, 5, and 6.
Next filmed: Episodes 1, 2 and 3.
Last filmed: Episodes 7, 8 and 9.

The last three episodes deal with the establishment of the New Republic, the revival of the Jedi Order in a much different form than that which existed before the Great Purge, and the efforts to rebuild the Empire which might still be directed by a cloned or just disembodied Palpatine/Sidious.

Frankly since Lucas botched Episodes 1-3 so badly (well, 3 didn't suck as much thanks to the showdown between the newly minted Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar) I am glad that the last three episodes are not going to be made.

Really, the best Star Wars stuff was directed by someone other than Lucas. Irvin Kershner directed The Empire Strikes Back, and Genndy Tartakovsky directed the Clone Wars shorts. It is the latter that restored my love of Star Wars, a love which ended for me with The Phantom Menace. Yes, I'm from the "George Lucas raped my childhood" contingent. I still hate Episodes 1 and 2.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Remember, Irv was working with Lucas' story.

He also directed RoboCop 2, if I recall correctly.

But I agree about the prequels lacking compared to the originals. However, the prequels made a very good chunk of change. Lucas could make 7, 8, 9 and all three would do very well.

I think he wants to move on to other projects now, though.
-Ridley Scott
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 pm

deleted wrote:Remember, Irv was working with Lucas' story.

He also directed RoboCop 2, if I recall correctly.

But I agree about the prequels lacking compared to the originals. However, the prequels made a very good chunk of change. Lucas could make 7, 8, 9 and all three would do very well.

I think he wants to move on to other projects now, though.

Heck yeah he wants to move on! I find that lots of people want to move on. Harrison Ford, even, doesn't want to talk much about Star Wars in interviews. Peter Weller refuses to talk about his RoboCop role anymore. Lucas...he's said in interviews before, he likes Star Wars, he would like to see it go on, but he wants to be less involved. I'm thinking JK Rowling is the same way with Harry Potter. She set a limit to the series and is leaving it at that. She doesnt want her life run by Harry Potter. I'd be that way too.
Last edited by THX1138 on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:39 am

8) I think we should think about josh hartnett's performance in the black dalia movie and wisely consider him for the part of deck. and maybe even scarlot johanson as rachel, blonde with a noir like 30s hairstyle would be a twist for the eyes and what if it was somewhat black n white? ,the movie. Maybe it could be concerned with earlier adventures before deck became ex cop , ex blade runner....spread the word !
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:02 pm

WOW!

Check out the poll! 50/50!
<<

stbrnd

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:39 pm

I see a BR II as something set significantly further into the future. Maybe with a (clean and sober??) Sean Young repising her role. Deckard long since and perhaps mysteriously dead. The story of Tyrell's death and the plight of those who came back to fight for life has reached and stirred a massive rebellion of now "special" replicant Nexxus 7 s with Rachel assisting them back to earth in a kind of underground railway thing.

Replicant rights issues...etc In other words something wholly different from the first movie, not just a rippoff of it.

I would have said it to be impossilbe to do a prequel of a great scifi movie until I saw Batman Begins. But that tells a singular story of one iconic figure. Can't get my mind around the BR world prequel.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." (Charles Schultz)
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 pm

stbrnd wrote:I see a BR II as something set significantly further into the future. Maybe with a (clean and sober??) Sean Young repising her role.

Umm...not bloody likely considering what went down this weekend at the Director's Guild Awards.

A 'spirited' moment at the DGA Awards
'Crazy' Sean Young ejected from the DGA Awards
Sean Young enters rehab

What a shame...she's such a good actress, and she's still beautiful...but she's still got the kind of "issues" which prevented her from getting onto the "A" list back in the '80s and '90s.

At least, we'll always have her as Rachael.

I'm a fan...this is painful. I could not care less about Britney Spears even though it seems the world can't get enough of watching her self-destruction. Watching this happen to Sean Young...it hurts. Remember I said she should do a biopic of Joan Crawford? I didn't mean she should emulate her final, booze-soaked days in Hollywood, dammit.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Robert Blake ,i heard that :!: but christopher walken would be perfect for tyrell I think don't you and how about Quentin T. as jf s. (he could have one of those locamotive train collectors overalls on, blue and white stripe with the hat to match and maybe round john lennon like style glasses.) :P
<<

Recal-citrant

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Interesting one...personally I would leave it at the original, but human nature being what it is and what it shouldn`t!!!
Surprisingly you could say after all this time why there hasn`t been a sequel or maybe a trilogy etc of Bladerunner. Not that I would welcome the idea, very rarely does it work.
I`m thinking of sequels like The Terminator...the first was incredible science fiction, the second some would say better or on par to the first one, it was a superb transistion for a second film based on this theme. But the third was dire...and they are making a fourth!?
I`ll make an introduction when I have some spare time, best wishes, Recal-citrant...but you may call me Recal!
I`ve seen things you people wouldn`t believe
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
Watched C-beams glitter in the dark
Near the Tannhauser Gate
All those moments wil be lost in time
Like tears in rain...time to die
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:47 pm

I passed on T3, but I'm actually going to give Terminator: Salvation a chance, because it takes place during the future war and it has Christian Bale in it.

Ooh, ooh, make a Hi thread in the new member section!!
-Ridley Scott
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:52 pm

have you heard of a series of shows coming out for tv that take place in the br universe,no deckard or rach, but stuff put together derived from do androids dream of electric sheep book,is this true and when? :?:
"I'm kinda nervous when I take tests" -leon
PreviousNext

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel