FAQ  •  Login

blade runner remake

<<

THX1138

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:58 pm

blade runner remake

alright, this isnt just a thread about your typical movie remake, like flight of the phoenix. here's my question:

what if ridley was approached to remake blade runner. what if WB decided to clean up the script, clean up some of the inconsistencies, and give it a bigger budget, allowing other scenes to be shot like the mysterious 6th replicant? if they could get harrison ford and all the original actors, do you think you would be for a remake? mind you, all old model special effects would be replaced with CGI, the world would be bigger and immerse you more, all because the budget will be bigger. ridley is still at the helm of directing....so, would you be for this? or do you think the original version is good enough for now?

basically, its the same script, same story, just reshot and redone with better effects.

i dont know how i would feel about this. i want it to be longer, with those added scenes, but im affraid they might change it too much with their new CGI techniques that it wont be the same old blade runner. im in the gray area on this.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:54 pm

I think I would be against a straight out remake even if ridley was at the helm. The cast is far too old to get the same feeling as well. If he was to go back and do a lucas style special edition the only scenes I would want added would be Zhora's snake dance and perhaps finding the "real" Tyrell in the cryo freeze chamber. That would be cool...Making them fit would be tough though.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:26 pm

No. I wouldn't watch a remake. I Love It as It is... Films talk to us through their images. not only of the story they present, but of their time, the moment of history when they were made, and that is lost when a film is remade to give it a newer or fresh look, the meta-data gets lost, as more people tend to watch the new versions and don't visit the original. In the best case it is the only thing that end missing, but the best case is not the more frequent one. Some films (in which I count BR) are timeless and should be left alone, IMO.

(The only additions, enchancements, new design concepts, etc I'd have would be in the form of extras on the special (2019? ;) DVD edition. Besides that, only fix minor things like the spinners cables, Abdul's dialogue and the like.)
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

zoomer_one

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:42 pm

I agree...a remake would be damn awful. Too many films are being remade of late and all of which are doing poorly. To muck around with a classic is asking for trouble. War of the Worlds is coming out soon...and if that doesn't live up to the sci fi fans expectations you can bet it will die a quick death. To remake BR is un-necessary and would automatically be compared to the original...fans love to rip apart something that messes with their favorite movie.

I think if he wanted to bring it back...he should create a whole different movie, before Deckard...or after (even way beyond), and come at the whole overall theme of it in a new way. An in-direct sequel of sorts, one that isn't tied to the original or one that takes place somewhere else. A prequel would be a big mistake...we live too close to the time of BR's timeline to be of any use.

So no remakes....remakes are boring.
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:29 pm

hmm i would have to say that im in agreement with the rest of the posts i think the best way to really keep the spirt alive (or to try and make money) which is what a remake bascally does would be expand on the world of Blade Runner itself much like with what is happening or rather been happening with Star Wars expand the universe so to speak like in Fan Fiction, Fan Films, ad infinitum create something anything it can only add to why the movies great

sorry got off on a bit of a tangent and then forgot where it was going
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:03 am

we were going off-topic, talking about prequels and sequels again. that's already been covered over and over on bladezone. this is about getting the original crew togerher to remake the original, using the same actors (if it were possible to get them to look younger).

you have to admit, someday it will happen though, maybe 60 or 70 years, they will remake blade runner.
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:27 am

THX1138 wrote:we were going off-topic, talking about prequels and sequels again. that's already been covered over and over on bladezone. this is about getting the original crew togerher to remake the original, using the same actors (if it were possible to get them to look younger).

you have to admit, someday it will happen though, maybe 60 or 70 years, they will remake blade runner.

Nah, by that time replicants will be too common, too ordinary, too every-day-like. People want escapism when they go to the cinema, not unpleasant stories that remind them of their daily life.
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

zoomer_one

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:27 pm

It will all be done by CG actors then...there's our great future. "No, no...make Rachel's boobs bigger! Yeah...thats it...daddy like."
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:23 pm

nah, her boobs are fine. i would want those redone.

i guess it would be hard to go back and redo it all, not that ridley has more experience in the business. he's not the same old ridley. i dont think he could go back and perfectly match his old world, hell have new ideas he would want to add probably. and now he knows we can do cgi, hell want to elaborate more on the world, maybe add some holograms or something that wasnt there originally.
<<

bishop-to-king7

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:23 pm

No to the remake. There is an apocalyptic elegance in what was the future when this was made. Remember, we are closer to 2019 than 1982. Our concepts of "future" then and "future" now are completely different. We have come to expect certain things when movies are projected into the future. Minority Report for instance, IMO would have been much better without all the CG crap and Tom Cruise, but we have to be WOW'd, so these films tend to get peppered with what I call "popular noise" so the trailers are inticing enough to hook the masses. This noise deters, not enhances the core of the stories and masks over the underlying concepts to the point that you come out of the theatre focused on the CG spectacles not the story. BR would just be like crack to a CG artist and they'd farg it all up. As much as I crave more of this story, I don't see it happening. Or if it did, it would be a disappointment to the original fan base.

(BOOK SPOILERS FOLLOW) Its not that there aren't possibilities: The 6th replicant, rep-symp rebellion, WW terminus and KW Jeter's continued sagas BR2, BR3, BR4 have all kinds of possibilities. I always thought the Salander 3 mission to proxima with Ruth and Anson Tyrell having twins (Sarah and Rachael) then realizing they are replicants now with replicant children would hold some of the philosophical/moral/emotional complexity that BR held. aaaaa maybe not.

They're just questions Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me...
<<

Predrhone

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:43 pm

Quite simply, a remake wouldn't happen nor would it be necessary.... Really, Ridley's 2000 cut of the film should be just like Lucas's Rerelease of the original trilogy back in 96-97. New transfer, better sound, enhanced effects, it'll be basically a new film. Even if barely anything changes, to the people who will notice, it'll be a new film.

As for a sequel, well, that's not necessary either... the books are enough... The Matrix's sequels ruined the significance of the original I thought so, the same would happen with BR... When you look at it, the end of the DC (and even the original) do really leave room for a continuation but, it isn't necessary, as it can be interpreted either way. It's closure to some and to others it may be an opening.

I would definately be excited about a proposed sequel though as long as the right people helmed it...
"I will wait for you, until the sky is blue. I will wait for you, what else can I do?"
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:45 pm

predrhone wrote:As for a sequel, well, that's not necessary either... the books are enough... The Matrix's sequels ruined the significance of the original I thought so, the same would happen with BR... When you look at it, the end of the DC (and even the original) do really leave room for a continuation but, it isn't necessary, as it can be interpreted either way. It's closure to some and to others it may be an opening.

I agree with you about the Matrix - I L-O-V-E the first one but could quite happily live without 2 and 3.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

sha

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:27 am

I have occasionally fantasised about the time when cryogenics ect is so advanced and common place, that someone some where, not only decides to remake Bladerunner, but reactivates those brilliant hollywood actresses Bette davis and Joan Crawford and has them cast as rachel and zhora, sort of "What ever happened to Baby Jane" style, can you imagine how wonderful it would be to see, Joan/Zhora, breathlessly intoneing," Why if I wern't a replicant, I'd, and Bette/ Rachel, screaming back through a cloud of cigarette smoke," Butcha are a replicant, zhora, yah are.
Oh Im so off topic, i apologise, but spoof BR is a fav game of mine.
<<

NEXUS ?

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:01 am

I just would like to start off by saying everthing about the original is great. Thats why 99% of are joined up o this site. Having a re-make/sequel would be great in the sense that we could have more Blade Runner to break down to the final detail and evaluate... but ... my question is,would this re-make/sequel have the same effect on us as the original did. Would it give us the same dreamy effect? I highly doubt it.
So on the side of all the people who said "NO" on this topic.
"More Human Than Human"
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:14 am

Though i would never want or see the need for a remake...I want more blade runner "father"...I want to see more of ridley's world. In starlog 52 Ridley was quoted as saying he wanted to be the john ford of science fiction...i guess his bad experience on BR changed his mind.
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel