A BR review on Amazon.com

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

endzem

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:25 pm

A BR review on Amazon.com

Check out what this person wrote on their review for BR on Amazon.com back in Aug. 15, 2003:

The facts regarding Blade Runner on DVD, August 15, 2003
Reviewer: "thebij" (St. Louis Park, MN) - See all my reviews

There is a 3 disc Special Edition DVD of this all time classic film on the horizon. This Special Edition will have 3 different versions of the film: the original theatrical version, the directors' cut, and a new Ridley Scott updated version of the film. It will also have numerous special features. It will be very similar to Scott's Black Hawk Down 3-Disc Special Edition DVD.

The person in charge of the design of this disc is Charlie DeLuzika (sp?) who is responsible for some of the best special edition DVD's made.

Ridley Scott himself stated that the actual completion/restoration of the versions that will appear on these discs was finished in 2002 (see Sound & Vision Magazine-"15 Minutes with Ridley Scott" published in 2002.)

What's holding up the discs are legal problems. Apparently the production company that owned the rights to the movie went out of business, and there is fighting over who now owns those assets. That is also why there is a lack of other Blade Runner related items such as action figures. The only ones of those available are Japanese bootlegs.

The reason that this Director's Cut is so dreadful is that it, along with "Twister", was one of the first DVD's ever released. That's why there is just a blue screen with a WB logo for the menu!

There is no known release date for the 3 disc special edition. It was suppose to be released for the 20th Anniversary of the film in 2002. My guess is that the earliest it will appear is fourth quarter 2004.

Hope this info was helpful. I just can't wait for a DVD release that finally does Blade Runner justice!
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:49 pm

i hope all that he said is true. all the stuff about everything being finished and the only thing holding it up is the legal troubles. that will be taken care of, hopefully on the positive side though.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

ShiftyEyes

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:59 pm

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be true. :(

The post was made August of 2003 and more recent reports have pointed to nothing. Charlie De Lauzarika, the DVD Producer has made comments about the SE at the Home Theater Forum and it seems like there's been little to no work finished for it.
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:34 pm

Yup, he was posting dated information. The SE is still stuck in developmental hell, and will likely be very stripped down if we ever see it.
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

raymccoy

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:28 pm

Why Blade Runner of all the movies out there? Why not, say, Dawn of the Dead? It's just not fair. Mind you I like Dawn of the Dead but I just wish we could get our SE.
'You could learn from this guy Gaff; he's a godamn-one-man slaughterhouse."
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:17 pm

Honestly I believe if the legal issues are resolved we will see the special edition that we have all wanted. The movie is so well regarded by so many in the movie industry that they know that it would be a good money maker if it is done right, and the posibility to make $ is our gaurantee that it will be made and very likely even made well. Too many people love this movie for it to not be treated with respect. Let us just hope that greed will push the powers that be into resoving the legal issues soon.
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:17 am

ridleynoir wrote:Honestly I believe if the legal issues are resolved we will see the special edition that we have all wanted. The movie is so well regarded by so many in the movie industry that they know that it would be a good money maker if it is done right, and the posibility to make $ is our gaurantee that it will be made and very likely even made well. Too many people love this movie for it to not be treated with respect. Let us just hope that greed will push the powers that be into resoving the legal issues soon.

That's the spirit!
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:53 pm

ridleynoir wrote:Honestly I believe if the legal issues are resolved we will see the special edition that we have all wanted. The movie is so well regarded by so many in the movie industry that they know that it would be a good money maker if it is done right, and the posibility to make $ is our gaurantee that it will be made and very likely even made well. Too many people love this movie for it to not be treated with respect. Let us just hope that greed will push the powers that be into resoving the legal issues soon.

The problem is there is no pressure on anyone to get the movie out.

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:15 pm

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349 wrote:

The problem is there is no pressure on anyone to get the movie out.

By what information do you say that? they are making several versions of every other film out there and BR is a classic. Making money is pressure enough. I got to believe the only thing holding it back is legal wrangling for control of the rights and said "money". It is the only thing that makes sense.
<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:14 am

ridleynoir wrote: Making money is pressure enough. I got to believe the only thing holding it back is legal wrangling for control of the rights and said "money". It is the only thing that makes sense.

But Perenchio doesn't need more money, does he? In this case I'd like money to be the only thing that matters, but if it was, the SE would have been released a long time ago. I guess it's hard to tell what makes Perenchio tick.
"I'll take the test," Luba Luft said, "if you'll take it first."
<<

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:56 pm

Luba is right, JP is rich enough and seems content to sit on this release till he dies. Whatever money it would generate is not incentive enough for him.

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:21 am

You guys are just guessing here...and believe me rich guys don't just sit on their money. I have a feeling it is more the other side of the equation (the other party that owns the rights) may have been thinking about selling their half and Jerry is trying to force them to sell it to him at his price by keeping the value low(by showing low profits on it)...It is total speculation but it makes a lot more sense to me...I guess I am just guessing too :)
<<

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:22 pm

It is an educated guess, I doubt the guy has been playing hardball with a movie like blade runner for three years.

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:00 pm

A guy has been doing it with my old company for over 4 years. Plus I think he knows Blade Runner's value is not likely to go down over time.
<<

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:18 pm

I just don't see it that way. Ridley's problems with Perenchio are well documented. I think it has alot more to do with spiting him than anything else.

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut