FAQ  •  Login

I don't like the new CGI dove sequence

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:28 pm

I thought the new dove shot was gorgeous, and fit into the film flawlessly. For me, it made Tears in Rain complete.

It certainly looks a helluva lot better than what was in every other cut.

It also helps to see it on the big screen. I saw a 4K print at the Ziegfeld theater in NYC, and let me tell you, it's the greatest film experience of my life, and one of my favorite memories. The new dove shot only helps to make the FC look even more phenomenal.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ZG1000-A20

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:18 pm

deleted wrote:I thought the new dove shot was gorgeous, and fit into the film flawlessly. For me, it made Tears in Rain complete.

It certainly looks a helluva lot better than what was in every other cut.

It also helps to see it on the big screen.

Agreed. 100%. Really the fixes that makes the FC my favorite are the scenes of Zhora's retirement and the scene where Deckard confronts the snake dealer. Joanna Cassidy and Ben Ford really deserve kudos for those scenes, imagine the time having to sit there, say dialogue and keep your face in near-perfect sync with the motions of someone shot 25+ years ago.
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 pm

what about this dove shot? it was in the deleted scenes. i wonder why it was originally rejected? it looks pretty natural to me... of course there is no rain

It's my heart. It feels like an alligator.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:35 am

Feyhra wrote:of course there is no rain

That's part of it. It also, like what was used in the non-FC versions of the film, looks little like what the scene presented. I don't think the non-FC version had rain either...

I don't know the exact reason, though. At least it's darker.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Ambiguous

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: I don't like the new CGI dove sequence

Couldn't the problem have been solved with simple color-correction? If you look at the lighting in the previous shot (Batty), it is not impossibly far off from the lighting in the dove shot.

Couldn't they have simply made the shot look darker and then added rain?
<<

OWC

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:40 am

The Final Cut dove scene looks fantastic as a still, but I don't think the idea of forcing the lines of perspective to match the original "blue sky" version works with the new structures. The facade of the main building feels too close, and too high, to be related to the previous scenes...it just doesn't seem to replicate anything we've seen in the lead-up to the release of the dove, i.e. where the characters were sitting etc. The same can be said of the deleted scenes version, but I have to agree with Feyhra in saying that it feels more "natural", even without the rain. Something about the space, or alignment...I can't really explain it other than to say it's the one version of this scene that doesn't jar.

Edit: I'll also agree with ridleynoir in saying that the dove itself looks "unnatural"...as though it is moving at a different speed to the rest of environment in that shot. I'd like to have seen the navigation light strobes and the flashing neon slowed down more; the clouds, of course, could have been moving at any speed.

In my opinion it would have been better to create a completely new dove scene (with new dove!), referencing things seen in the lead-up, rather than trying to preserve aspects of the deeply flawed original.
<<

Ambiguous

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:15 pm

I suspect that if they simply color corrected the shot (to make it appear dark out) and added CG rain, the cut would not be jarring anymore.

The goal should be to be able to watch the shot and not be taken out of the moment. Many movies have big continuity errors that don't matter because you'll only notice them upon close inspection.

I like the idea of correcting this major continuity error in the middle of an emotional scene, but I think the approach they took was too extreme.
<<

Deck-A-Cylon

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Having viewed the 5 Disc set meticulously, esp the extra's one can see the amount of love and dedication put into the Final Cut work, and that for me includes the dove scene as well. The scene has finally been given justice, and the matte painting looks stunning. There was personal input from Ridley on the scene in question, and the correction now fits perrfectly with the mood,
Wheras before it looked out of synch with the picture. I understand some fans might still have gripes over the overall finished work, but thats what the prior versions in the set are for! :)

Personally, I feel they've done a mans job! ;p
''...oh yeah, I knew he was a cylon..replicant I mean'' (James Olmos makes a Gaff - no pun intended!!! - BLADE RUNNER 5 Disc Collectors Edition)
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut