FAQ  •  Login

Blu ray Blooper ?!!!

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

nexuszix

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Blu ray Blooper ?!!!

Rachels VK test with Deckard on Blu ray is slightly longer than the DVD....i.e. time stretched resulting in the voices being slightly lower in pitch.:shock:
Can you believe it !!
I thought it sounded different then recorded both to find out and theres defiantely a difference.
see here > http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/ru ... /Snap2.jpg
DVD on the top bluray underneath (any differences in waveforms is down to me coughing)

It kind of bugs me as i'll always think of rachels being stoned whenever i see it on bluray..

So has anyone else noticed this ?
why should the bluray version have this oversight ? Is it deliberate ?
" wake up..time to die !"
<<

nexuszix

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:20 pm

I cant believe nobody else has noticed it....maybe everyones to busy taking in the bluray visuals to notice the audio.

Anyway i'm not very happy about it....I spent £200 on a panasonic player to watch my fav movie on only to find the damn audio is NOT RIGHT !!!

I demand an inquiry !!
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:56 pm

Don't feel bad man. When I found an error with the HD-DVD version of one of the archival versions, no one cared either.

I do think you found quite the oddity. Wish I could help.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 pm

I just got a new player myself, and I hadn't noticed anything unusual about the audio, other than it being really good.

I have the regular Final Cut on DVD that I watched on my Xbox 360. So I'll check both my Blu Ray player version of BR and Xbox to see if there is a difference in audio.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:34 am

Maybe Rachael sounds stoned because of the un-filtered "cigarette" she's suckin' on. Seriously, we all know they're french cigarettes (but then, that's another thread)

Nexuszix - Is it only Rachael or both she and Deck?... Strange. And, I assume you're comparing the Blu-ray of the FC and not the DC... correct?

When listening to the FC just now, I can only notice how simply fantastic it sounds (even with the extra echo added during that scene). I'm not saying your audio test is inconclusive, I find it very interesting actually. If they are different on your player/disc as well as mine, my guess would be that the new version was corrected, if anything. But, I can't imagine Sean snapping her answers much faster than what I just heard :?

Anyhoo... this is all academic. Hopefully Charles can comment on this next time we're so lucky to have him visit.
ImageImageImage
<<

nexuszix

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:49 am

I'm told its because all PAL dvd's are sped up by 4 % comapred with american NTSC discs..i.e. the BLU ray is how its ment to sound i'm just used to hearing my sped up PAL version.

:shock:

Gene Ettix- both are the FC

It actually makes a difference too (to my ears anyway) e.g. when Rachel confronts Deckard at his apartment about being a rep and says 'look its me with my mother'....on bluray she sounds more confident and self assured while on PAL she sounds more vulnerable with the higher voice.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:31 pm

nexuszix wrote:I'm told its because all PAL dvd's are sped up by 4 % comapred with american NTSC discs..i.e. the BLU ray is how its ment to sound i'm just used to hearing my sped up PAL version.

Well, there you have it. :-s That changes the whole conversation. Can't believe you didn't mention PAL in your original post. The whole movie is altered... Voices, music, length, etc. I'm completely sure I would've heard the difference, too. Would drive me crazy.
The important thing is... you're hearing BR the way it's meant to be heard now. :)

BTW - You're gonna need to get comfortable with Rachael sounding 'stoned" to you :lol: Much more sultry & film noir-ish, don't you think?
ImageImageImage
<<

nexuszix

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:37 pm

Gene Ettix wrote:BTW - You're gonna need to get comfortable with Rachael sounding 'stoned" to you :lol: Much more sultry & film noir-ish, don't you think?

LoL yep ! I've basically got a whole new film to watch :lol:

Btw are you getting high def sound too (HD master audio) ? I cant get it at the moment as i'll need to shell out about £500 for the amp and speakers but i am intrigued to experience it.
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:40 am

very interesting m8, i found a glitch in the DVD version. when dekard is travelling through the tunnel and listening to the interview with leon, the audio cut is terrible.
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut