FAQ  •  Login

BLADE RUNNER ' WHITE DRAGON CUT ' !

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed May 06, 2009 7:43 pm

nails6365 wrote:The zhora snake dance puts this guy in a new league.

kipple, have you received your ultimate workprint copy yet? need to start a review. apparently media.bladezone is down for a few days while the server is updated/moved.

That explains why I'm having trouble in the media section, lol.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 pm

It's been a while since I've visited the board, but did so because I belatedly heard rumblings about a "White Dragon" cut, and here it is (kind of). :wink:

So is this v3 due sometime soon? I checked out the blog, but not being able to read Japanese, well...you know.
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Thu May 07, 2009 4:22 pm

ive spoken to rick @ oznet in regard to the server, should be fixed soon. as for the white dragon cut, he is to give me a link to his version soon.
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:19 pm

V3.0 is superb

I have to say, of all the Blade Runner fan edits I've seen so far, The White Dragon Cut is by far the best. Without going on at length, lets just say that Kazu has recreated Blade Runner in a way that it is still utterly familiar to us, but at the same time refreshing too. Some of his cuts and edits, as well as the way he has used the deleted scenes and other bits is utterly masterful. It's fantastic, as is the presentation.

I feel like I should write some more at length, but I'm still processing what I've seen, so I'd better save that for later.

Kazu truly is a dedicated man.
It's my heart. It feels like an alligator.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Re: V3.0 is superb

Feyhra wrote:...I'd better save that for later.

Kazu truly is a dedicated man.

Yes. Do wait. He is working on version 4. :)

I gave him some suggestions, which he was very receptive to.

But, yes. An incredible job. I can't say enough. :)
<<

nails6365

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:03 pm

has anybody been monitoring his progress? i though the idea of using syd mead art was good, but the unicorn sequence in sebastians apartment blew me away!

(pris can now be seen looking through the monitor just as sebastian wakes up, she sees the unicorn scene shown in deckard dream)

This gives yet another perspective to deckards existance - in regards to his makers already pre-defining his dreams.

http://kappo-tsukada.up.seesaa.net/imag ... r20WEB.mov
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:05 pm

nails6365 wrote:has anybody been monitoring his progress? i though the idea of using syd mead art was good, but the unicorn sequence in sebastians apartment blew me away!

(pris can now be seen looking through the monitor just as sebastian wakes up, she sees the unicorn scene shown in deckard dream)

This gives yet another perspective to deckards existance - in regards to his makers already pre-defining his dreams.

http://kappo-tsukada.up.seesaa.net/imag ... r20WEB.mov

yes, that scene is quite exceptional. an even without creating the monitor scene i have no idea why more fan edits don't included the shot of pris smoking with the mouse running over her hand

and there are some more subtle edits as well. the rough black and white shot of the smoke stacks in the skyline was originally at the beginning of the cut scene where gaff and bryant discuss metaphysics and deckard is visiting holden again, but he has moved it to the start of the pris scene instead where it fits much better

it's lots of subtle changes like that which refresh the whole movie for me. i suspect even the most devoted fan of the film might feel a little jaded after tens or hundreds of repeat viewings and something like this can bring the whole film back to life again. i found watching this version to be much more refreshing than watching even the final cut for the first time

i watched WDC V3.0 recently and it was like watching a whole new movie again. and using 'one more kiss dear' for the intermission was pure genius, if you ask me
It's my heart. It feels like an alligator.
<<

Lost Boy

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:47 am

Hello Everybody

This is my first post, and I hope that you won't mind me asking a question about the WDC. I've enjoyed Blade Runner, The International version since first seeing it on Laser disc back in the mid 80's. I never did see BR at the cinema .. my loss. However, you will appreciate that the international version with the narrative is the version that I prefer compared to the DC version of which the Final Cut would seem to be based upon. I'm aware that Ridley Scott didn't like the addition of the narrative in the cinematic release and I suppose that is the reason that the Final Cut is without the narrative. But it would seem, if I'm not mistaken, that the WDC is with the narrative but since I can not find a link to the WDC I wonder if somebody could please confirm? I have seen the missing and cut scenes that kazuchoice has been "enhancing" and would love to see these in a finished DVD but one item that I have been quite disappointed with in the five disc set is the dubbing of Bryant "I've got four skin jobs ... " it's a very bad dub and would, in my opinion, have been better left alone. Thing is, it seems that Riddle Scot has made this dub to all versions of the film in the five disc pack. How is this in the WDC version?

If somebody can point me to a link to download the whole WDC I would be most grateful .. or maybe its not for release and that's the reason that I can't find the link.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 pm

It has the narration.

When the 4th version is completed, and I get a copy, I'll be sure to "seed" it. :wink:
<<

barnephiliac

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

So, it's been a while now.....is the 4th version completed and is it available somewhere?
<<

nails6365

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:31 pm

the final edition should be available via the fan edits web site. have spoke to dave down in plymouth uk. and hes agreed to host it.
<<

Lost Boy

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:58 am

Re: BLADE RUNNER ' WHITE DRAGON CUT ' !

I understand that version 4 of the WDC has been available for a while now but I have been unable to find a link for it, can anybody help?
<<

nails6365

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:02 pm

research the user kazuchoice on youtube and take it from there ;)
<<

dadadacicici

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:18 am

Hi everybody.

After being asked from a nice collector if I had by any chance this particular fan-edit I stumbled on this page being the only place all over the world wide web I could find something about this. I learnt that also a review was written about this cut and I have to complinent the person who wrote the review for the accuracy of it. It is well written and obviously he pretty liked it! ;)

I had a chance to preview this edit of the movie with some mates and though we all had different opinions at the end of the streaming screening I have to say that I pretty loved the concept kazuchoice has achieved with his work.

Coming from the ADM Extended Cut and the more recent Ultimate Workprint by ShuWest I have to say I was really impressed with the original use of the not-in-blade runner scenes to achieve a feel of continuity and adding some more extra details to the whole story at the same time.

I was doing the very same with the soundtrack and having seen that this can be done also with the actual movie it got me in a really good mood about what I was trying to do.

Perhaps the technology behing the editing software is not yet perfect.
I know in Los Angeles there are guys working 24 hours to achieve a special effect on a sequence and this japanene guy really deserve to be one of them.

It is not as perfect as you might expect from the bigger Hollywod production studios, but the concept behind that is something very daring and he has managed to achieve a lot on his take of the whole Blade Runner vision.

Somehow I would wish Sci-Fi Channel to air this cut at some point like they did with the Final Cut preview. Television does add scenes or details quite often and this fan-edit really deserve some attention.

As far for the other people watching the movie while dipping our fingers in the popcorn and diet coke, I did at least, some liked it some went like: no way man!

While I partly agree with him I still feel that the whole thing has his merits and I appreciated the fresh take on the matter.

To cut the story short here's a different opinion about the subject.

"The first thing that comes to mind is that there is footage in there not in any other cut of the film or in the Dangerous Days documentary. This leads me to believe that whomever assembled this cut may have had access to the footage found at Jerry Perenchio's storage facility. If so, well done.

Secondly the voice over is not necessary and needs to be stripped out.

Thirdly, you only need to see Leon's hanging in the ceiling once and the image darkened, otherwise you see it's a lift from Goldfinger. I really think that the lift of Salma Hyek's dance needs to be removed, it's clunky and obviously doesn't sit with the rest of the scenes. Also the new scene of the frozen Chew either needs reworking or removing completely.

Fourthly it is nice to see some sequences put in their original order. Deckard and Rachel together after Leon is killed, Roy electrocuting himself before nailing his hand.

The happy ending needs to go as well for sure.

I don't know whether you know the indivdual who created it, if you do please pass my comments along."

Only lately I revealed that all the additions were actually something done by the japanese editor. :roll:

As you can read, mixed opinions about that.
I can only add that we all wish everything is going to be fine after all the things that have been happening over there in the last days.
<<

Rainman

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Any news on the version 4 of WDC? Also hope kazuchoice is doing fine in the aftermath of the recent events in japan?
I still couldn't watch even the streaming version, there seems to be problems with links or my browser has incompatibilities with the site.
Overall it is great to learn of what fans can imagine and create, and what kazuchoice has done is definitely exceptional. But I just feel that a lot of it was overdone like re-compositing, recoloring, etc. It is quite impressive, but I'm more interested only in the insertions of deleted scenes and simple recutting and re-arranging of scenes which actually contribute to either enriching the BR story or possibly even changing it altogether. Nevertheless, I do admire WDC as another great fan tribute to the original.
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut