MA ?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

ijustdoeyes

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 am

MA ?

Roy having killed Tyrell and JF Sebastian leaves the Tyrell building using the lift.A female voice guides him through the speaker and Roy murmurs ' Ma"..
Why?
Why does he think that this sound belongs to his ' mum' ?

I am curious to know your opinions on this...

Check DVD Disc 4. Go to 'Deleted and Alternate Scenes' Tyrell Security Protocol.Time 02.13
If only you could see what I have seen with MY eyes...
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:31 am

only God knows what's going on into a Replicant's brain in his 4th year of life without any memories to put his feet on, except for some attack ships on fire and C-beams glittering in the dark space :shock:

well, probably Rutger Hauer also knows... :lol:
<<

Araym

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:31 am

because he was wracked with guilt over killing J.F. he reverted back to a childish nature for a few minutes, probably a reaction caused by his memory implants coupled with the possibly of truly believing J.F. was a friend but had to be killed anyway... also of note is how in the workprint Roy says "sorry Sebastion" before he chases after him after killing Tyrell...
Gosh, you really got some nice toys here...
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:41 am

1st - Roy has just murdered the only "Father" he ever knew, and then he hears this female voice. He's desperate and confused. Is his Mother and Father human,machine,God,or just an electronic voice? As macho as he is at times, he is also very childlike, as well. (wonderful acting, Mr.Hauer!)

2nd - The Mother figure is a very touchy subject for a Replicant (or humans, for that matter): Leon - "My Mother?... Let me tell you about my mother!" BOOM!!! Rachael - Her memories & photos of her Mom. Most people want to know where they come from, where they are going, and what is their purpose... When that is taken away, panic sets-in.

3rd - I believe there is a kind of Fertility/Creation Motif running through the film. Even eggs get ample screen time. Also, a religious theme has been discussed on these boards before, and this scene could be tied-in to that, I suppose. (Open to one's own interpretation, of course.)

I'd love to hear Rutger comment on this but, the viewer can interpret this line any way they want, I guess - much like many things in BR.
And personally, I wish that line was still in the Final Cut :)
ImageImageImage
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:49 pm

A reference to Oedipus Rex perhaps?
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:39 pm

Or that. :lol: Would've saved me some typing.
Considering Rutger Hauer's thought processes, that's quite possible. Or R.Scott's.

On the other hand... I seriously doubt Roy Batty wanted to procreate incestuously with this motherly voice to create more replicants :lol: :P 8-[
Just joking :-# I couldn't stop myself.
ImageImageImage
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:05 pm

the computer system in alien was called mother right? ...The crew would ask it questions about vital data. .....Maybe the voice that roy heard was the own voice of one of roy's designers and it echoed in his mind from time to time until now he hears it for the first time out loud on a speaker.
<<

B-263-55

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 am

Roy's folks

I thought it was genious that the FC version now had Roy saying 'Father...' instead of fu**er. However, Ridley should have also dropped the scene with Roy calling out for his 'Ma.!' in the lift to really hit home how psycologically unhinged the replicants really are.

As I see it, the Tyrrell Corp female public announcement voice would be heard all across the company building and probably the first female voice any of the Replicants come to recognise - hence 'Ma..!'
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:17 am

Planta wrote:only God knows what's going on into a Replicant's brain in his 4th year of life without any memories to put his feet on, except for some attack ships on fire and C-beams glittering in the dark space :shock:

well, probably Rutger Hauer also knows... :lol:
\
Interesting, considering Tyrell is God.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut