FAQ  •  Login

What would YOUR own "dream version" of BR be like?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

mythrenegade

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:57 pm

dmohrUSC wrote:Ahhh...the Final Cut is such a thing of beauty. Just had to give my weekend's bit of thanks :wink: I'm really getting into the bluish-green direction that Scott & Co. took the coloring process for the FC; makes for such a gorgeous viewing.

I'm guessing that mythrenegade prefers the theatrical edit of BR's violent scenes from a less-is-more standpoint. I'm not a huge fan of movie gore in general, and am one the fence about this issue as it relates to BR's various versions. Still, noticing the differences in the 1982 Theatrical and International Cuts was one of the key elements of the legacy of BR pre-1992, and those differences mainly had to do with the different amounts of onscreen violence.

As for the "extended Deckard walks around rooftop" bit, I think mythrenegade is referring to the 5 or 10 seconds that were in previous versions but cut out for the FC, just before Deckard first runs into Batty on the rooftop. Check your earlier versions (Theatrical thru DC), there's an extra several seconds of Deckard walking in between the huge spinning windmills on the roof of the Bradbury bldg. Again, on the fence personally about this one - I love the longer shot, but as it is in the FC, it supports what Ridley Scott said in 'On the Edge of BR' about wanting to trim a bit from the end of the movie to "raise the blood" of the audience. (Not that I'm arguing for cutting any more out of BR, but I'm a little suprised that if Scott was going for "raising the blood" at the end of the FC, that he didn't also trim a few seconds out of Deckard's coming home to Rachel at the end; that scene has always had a very stately pace to me.)

He nailed it on both counts. With the "theatrical" release violence, the focus is more on the reaction of batty, and less on the blood pouring out of the eyes etc. I'm not afraid of gore, but I actually think the movie is stronger with the theatrical version there due to the focus (Batty's reaction is really the point, not the blood out of tyrell's head). As for the nail through the hand (just the one shot cut from the theatrical release), the effect looks a little dated, and doesn't really add anything. You know exactly what happened either way, so I'd leave it out.

The rooftop was explained above.

One of the key differences between older films and newer films is pacing. Watch Dr. No and then watch xXx and you will see exactly what I mean. Dr. No is a fantastic film, but it moves very slowly and deliberately. It's like eight minutes into the film before we ever see Sean Connery! I think the slower pacing of the ending was a good thing. I don't need to see everything happen RIGHT NOW I want to be able to live the moment. The extra length lets me take in the surroundings and realize "there is no where to go" before Batty shows up. In the FC Batty shows up so quickly that you don't get any sense of anxiety that there is no way off this roof...

Joel
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:52 pm

dmohrUSC wrote:As for the "extended Deckard walks around rooftop" bit, I think mythrenegade is referring to the 5 or 10 seconds that were in previous versions but cut out for the FC, just before Deckard first runs into Batty on the rooftop. Check your earlier versions (Theatrical thru DC), there's an extra several seconds of Deckard walking in between the huge spinning windmills on the roof of the Bradbury bldg. Again, on the fence personally about this one - I love the longer shot, but as it is in the FC, it supports what Ridley Scott said in 'On the Edge of BR' about wanting to trim a bit from the end of the movie to "raise the blood" of the audience. (Not that I'm arguing for cutting any more out of BR, but I'm a little suprised that if Scott was going for "raising the blood" at the end of the FC, that he didn't also trim a few seconds out of Deckard's coming home to Rachel at the end; that scene has always had a very stately pace to me.)

I'm definitely going to have to check that out now.

As for the violence, I see the removal of the extra bits of violence as censorship of art, which is why I'm glad its back in the FC. I understand what he meant, though, but still.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Rainman

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 am

dream version

I have too many ideas for a "dream version" of Blade Runner. Have to sort it out first.
Regarding the unicorn sequence, I personally don't like to have it in my version as i don't like the idea that Deckard is or might also be a replicant. For me, that dampens the impact of Roy Batty's dramatic moment. I want to leave the movie cherishing the value of life, and as corny and mushy as it may seem to a lot, the happy ending actually reinforces this very relevant and inspiring thought, as opposed to having Deckard as a replicant where the movie is reduced to a typical Twilight Zone episode ending.
But if the unicorn scene is a must, then i would edit it in a different way, transposing it to the scene when Deckard with Rachel go back to the apartment after Leon beats him up. It would be interesting to have Deckard "dream" of the unicorn as the mystical piano music blends into an eerie piece absorbed into his sub-concious. He later gets up and tells Rachel that he has dreamt "music", an interesting subtlety without mentioning the unicorn. But that's just me :wink:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
"I dreamt music"
Last edited by Rainman on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Tryfan915

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:37 am

Re: dream version

Rainman wrote: But if the unicorn scene is a must, then i would edit it in a different way, transposing it to the scene when Deckard with Rachel go back to the apartment after Leon beats him up. It would be interesting to have Deckard "dream" of the unicorn as the mystical piano music blends into an eerie piece absorbed into his sub-concious. He later gets up and tells Rachel that he has dreamt "music", an interesting subtlety without mentioning the unicorn. But that's just me :wink:

I like that, Rainman. =D>

I think of Deckard as human mainly because what use would a Unicorn implant be to a cold blooded replicant who's job it is to retire other replicants? I think that the Unicorn represents Rachel, but your ideas works really well. :)
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut