A Question About The Dove Scene

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

The White Dragon

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 am

A Question About The Dove Scene

Greetings! As this is my first post I figured I'd start by saying that I never considered myself a huge Sci-Fi fan but I've always loved Blade Runner (I think I still have the soundtrack on cassette somewhere) and when I heard a 5 Disc Special Edition was coming out I ordered it immediately and have been immersed in it for the last few weeks and I found this forum and here I am.

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post but I have a question regarding the restoration of the scene near the end where Roy lets go of the dove and it flies up into a blue sky. I watched the Extras and they showed how much trouble they went to to correct that scene so the dove flies up into a night sky but then in the Deleted Scenes they show the dove flying up into a night sky.

Why didn't they just use that version for the original release? It seemed odd to me that they were always lamenting the fact that the sun was coming up and that there was continuity problem with the light sky yet they had a clip of the dove at night. Or am I missing something?
<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:06 pm

I assume that the existing shot with the sun coming up was better framed and to Scott's liking except for the obvious flaw. Also, I don't even think that shot matched either because it wasn't raining and lacked that certain color tone present in that scene. That's just pure speculation on my part.
<<

OWC

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Sam wrote:I assume that the existing shot with the sun coming up was better framed and to Scott's liking except for the obvious flaw. Also, I don't even think that shot matched either because it wasn't raining and lacked that certain color tone present in that scene. That's just pure speculation on my part.

Glad I'm not the only one to have wondered about this. I was also very surprised to find an earlier version of the night sky "Dove scene" in the extras...especially after learning about all the digital effects used to correct other flaws for the Final Cut...surely it would have been relatively easy to add rain to, or alter the lighting of, the "extras" version? Maybe they just plain forgot about it, or maybe it was Ridley's choice...after all, it is mentioned in the documentary that the new scene pays homage to the old in its perspective and building shapes. Either way, it's a huge improvement over what I find to be quite possibly the most jarring and least credible scene in the Director's Cut.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: A Question About The Dove Scene

The White Dragon wrote:Greetings! As this is my first post I figured I'd start by saying that I never considered myself a huge Sci-Fi fan but I've always loved Blade Runner (I think I still have the soundtrack on cassette somewhere) and when I heard a 5 Disc Special Edition was coming out I ordered it immediately and have been immersed in it for the last few weeks and I found this forum and here I am.

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post but I have a question regarding the restoration of the scene near the end where Roy lets go of the dove and it flies up into a blue sky. I watched the Extras and they showed how much trouble they went to to correct that scene so the dove flies up into a night sky but then in the Deleted Scenes they show the dove flying up into a night sky.

Why didn't they just use that version for the original release? It seemed odd to me that they were always lamenting the fact that the sun was coming up and that there was continuity problem with the light sky yet they had a clip of the dove at night. Or am I missing something?

That version doesn't match the scene either. I think it was a temp shot, and frankly, looks pretty unimpressive. What they have in the FC now is stunning.

OWC, are you referring to the DC?
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut