FAQ  •  Login

Question about the deleted footage to Charles de Lauzirika.

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

alucard69

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:12 am

Question about the deleted footage to Charles de Lauzirika.

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question for Charles. Firstly, may I say what an amazing job you have done on this quite incredible DVD set - many an award are on the way to you me thinks. Anyway, my question relates to the numerous deleted footage you found. Just how much did you have to sift through, and exactley where did you find it all? It's amazing that a 25 year old movie can still have that amount of deleted material lying around and in such a good condition.

Also out of all the deleted material, the one which I was astonished to see were the brief shots of Harrison Ford on top of the cars - during the Zhora chase (I didn't even think it was ever filmed in the first place!!!) - however, I'm curious why this footage didn't appear as a complete clip instead of being spliced up into several peices around the documentaries. Could you possibly explain the history of this particular scene and why it never made it to the finished cut in the first place.

Thanks.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:12 am

He had to sift through, what was it, 977 boxes of material?

And this quote is direct from CDL (I hope he doesn't mind me posting this):

Well, I found most of the footage and you know what? There's a good reason it wasn't used in the film. There wasn't enough coverage to make it work. I don't know if they were rushed or ran out of money or what, but there are only a couple of different angles for only part of the scene and they don't work very well. Plus, there's a moment at the end when Deckard is supposed to drop down between two Metrokabs and hit the windshield of one, yelling, "Get back! Get back!" -- I know this because I saw it on that old ABC News "Hooray for Hollywood" TV special. Well, in the actual footage, the moment is so far away from the cameras, you can't even tell what's going on.

A low quality version of Hooray for Hollywood can be seen in the media section of this site.

Welcome to Bladezone.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:23 am

I'm not Charles, but as he might be a little busy... :wink: Most of the material (if not all) was found in what has been called by some people "the toy box"... it was a box with a lot of stuff, the box itself marked "TO BE DESTROYED" (or something like that) after prduction of the film ended. Thank God somebody didn't do the job, but left if lying around in a Warner Bros warehouse. To our great joy, it was discovered years later.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Centauro wrote:Most of the material (if not all) was found in what has been called by some people "the toy box"... it was a box with a lot of stuff, the box itself marked "TO BE DESTROYED" (or something like that) after prduction of the film ended.

Actually the "Toy Box" was several PALLETS of film reels. They were packaged that was so they could go to the film recycler, to be harvested for their silver content.

However, someone forgot to call the recycler to pick the pallets up. Good for them.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 pm

So the box thing was an expression. I stand corrected, thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:43 pm

I would like to add a couple more questions as well. I have heard there was a shot of Deckard reloading his gun, is this true at all? Plus do you have any idea of the shooting schedual and what scenes were shot first? I know I asked you this before, but I am just reminding you and hoping that maybe you had time to discover it. I would be extremely greatful to you for this of course. 8)

Thank you.
Andy
<<

philippes

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:22 am

I had heard about the reloading scene, but it's my understanding that this was never filmed and doesn't exist.

Also, based on my research of the Blade Runner blaster prop, the gun would have to be loaded in one of two ways, and each presents on-screen problems:

1. The Charter Arms Bulldog cylinder would need to swing out. Deckard would then have to load one bullet into each cylinder (or use a speed loader). This would show the prop was fundamentally a revolver.

2. The Steyr magazine would need to be removed and a replacement inserted. But since the magazine appears to be held in place by screws, it couldn't easily be exchanged unless another gun (to date, not located) was produced to create this effect.

The Steyr magazine analysis is based on observations made of the hero blaster that surfaced for the first time at last year's WorldCon.

Phil
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Though I tend to agree with your speculations here, I am still hoping for some confirmation that could clear it up for good. Since all we have had for so long is just speculation and heresay, and all most all of it turned out to be wrong, I just can not go by it as fact. Considering there could have been other versions of the gun made just for reloading, the Worlcon photos don't actually 'disprove' anything. And, there is also another way the gun could be loaded...by using the Steyr reciever ejection port and loading a round in the same way I used to load my BB gun with pellets. I would load BB's from the bottom and Pellets from the top. I do think the 'Reloading scene' is most likely a myth, but if anybody may know for sure it would be Charles.

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut