FAQ  •  Login

Final Cut Changes Master Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:36 am

Final Cut Changes Master Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Blade Runner: The Final Cut Changes

This thread is dedicated to compiling a list of many of the changes made to the Blade Runner final cut. Feel
free to add any pics or notes to this thread and I'll add it to the message. I'll start all the ones I know of.

The Opening Crawl:

For the Final Cut, the opening crawl has been slightly enlarged; not a major change but a change nonetheless.

Original:

Final Cut:

Spinner fix #1:

At the beginning, the spinner flying towards the screen always unconvincingly appeared out of thin air,
but in the new Final Cut it can be seen at the very beginning of the scene gradually getting closer to us.

Original:

Final Cut:

Spinner fix #2:

At the beginning, when the spinner flies by from the right of the screen, the flames could be seen through the
ship due to the overlaying effects used at the time. That has been corrected.

Original:

Final Cut:

The Eye:

The eye shot now features movement including a twitching eye lid and dilating iris. Hard to tell from the
pictures but when you see it live it's really neat.

Original:

Final Cut:

Shortened shot:

The lingering shot of Deckard has been shortened, this was originally there because there was a narration.

Spinner Wires Removed:

All the shots of spinners where you can see the support wires have been fixed; all the wires have been digitally removed.

Original:

Final Cut:

Original:

Final Cut:

Original:

Final Cut:

1 or 2?:

Bryant now correctly states 2 replicants got fried trying to escape.

Leon Info:

Bryant speaks more about Leon during the moment when the screen has Leon's information posted. This was in the Workprint

Radio Chatter:

More radio chatter has been added to the scenes when Deckard is with Gaff in the spinner.

The Tyrell Building #1:

Not sure if this is just because of the 8K scan but to me they look like
they've been modified a bit.
Perhaps Charlie could help with this one...

Original:

Final Cut:

The Tyrell Building #2:

When Gaff's spinner descends to the building, the city can be seen in the distance. This now matches the first shot.

Original:

Final Cut:

Voice added:

When Deckard and Gaff are let into Leon's apartment the man opening the door for them now says "Kowalski."

Roy in the Phone Booth:

One of the biggest changes involved the scene in which Roy is introduced in the phone booth. Originally this
shot of Roy was stolen from the confrontation scene between Roy and Tyrell, hence the finger on his shoulder.
The colour and background didn't match but now it has been fixed with fantastic and truly convincing results.
One of my favorite changes just because it looks so perfect.

Original:

Final Cut:

Original:

Final Cut:

The Unicorn Re-edited:

For the Final Cut, the unicorn scene has been re-edited and results in what was originally intended by Scott.
I'll never be able to go back to the DC version as this new edited scene is fantastic.

Also, apparently some digital tools were used to slightly stabilize the wobbling unicorn horn.

The Esper Photo:

The Esper enhanced photo of Zhora now has been fixed with the assistance of Joanna Cassidy.

Original:

Final Cut:

Serial Number corrected:

The serial number written on the snake scale has been altered to match what the woman says.

Original:

Final Cut:

Extended shot:

When Deckard leaves the woman observing the serial number, there is an extended panning long shot of him
leaving, it really makes the cut work better.

Audio synced:

This is another much needed fix. When Deckard has a chat with Abdul, the dialog was always completely
out of sync. Now Ben Ford helped in fixing this with fantastic results. How Charlie was able to make Harrison
Ford's head stay straight and not tilt until the last few frames of the scene is beyond me; amazing work done by the restoration team!

Original:

Final Cut:

New scene:

A new shot featuring dancers wearing hockey masks occurs before Deckard enters the club to find Zhora.

Echoed Voice:

When Deckard yells, "Move! Get out of the way!" before he fires at Zhora, the yell is slightly echoed making it
seem he is truly in the location, quite effective actually.

Improved Gun shots:

The gun shots from Deckard's blaster also sound much more powerful in all the scenes of the movie especially
when he retires Zhora.

Zhora's Death:

Many fans already know about this change so i won't go into too many details but basically Joanna Cassidy
re-shot the death scene on a green screen and her head was digitally added to cover the obvious stunt
double shot back in 1982. This is one of the biggest changes to the film and the results are absolutely perfect.

Original:

Final Cut:

Original:

Final Cut:

Make-up removed:

Originally the movie had Deckard fighting Leon before killing Zhora and meeting Bryant but then it was
moved to after those said scenes. Unfortunately, Ford had make-up during those scenes implying he already
fought Leon. Now it has been removed for the scenes leading up to the fight. The good thing is; you can't
even tell it was there.

Original:

Final Cut:

"I want more life...":

This somewhat controversial change occurs during the scene when Roy Batty meets with his creator, Tyrell.
In all other versions he says "I want more life fucker." But in this new Final Cut he says "I want more life father."

Extended Violence:

The extended moments of violence during the death of Tyrell and Pris has been added back into the Final Cut.
These moments originally appeared in the International version of the film.

Camera Crew Shadows:

During the finale the camera crews' shadows were seen on the wall behind Deckard and for the Final Cut the
shadows have been removed digitally

Original:

Final Cut:

Matte Lines and Shot Reverse:

All the visible Matte lines on the Matte Paintings have been removed and colour corrected to match.
Also, this shot when Deckard breaks through the window has been flipped to match later shots.

Original:

Final Cut:

TDK Sign:

This shot slightly shows the TDK sign later visible behind Roy during his death. The problem is that the
sign first shown is neon red and later on is not. So it has been digitally corrected to match the look of
the sign later on.

Original:

Final Cut:

The Dove:

The shot of the Dove flying into the sky has been corrected to match the surroundings. Finally this shot works.
This is now even more of a beautiful shot and I thank you Charlie and the restoration team for fixing it with breathtaking results.

Original:

Final Cut:

The End Credits:

The end credits have been modified to feature those involved in this awesome restoration. Also, a
new cast member has been added which finally solves a mystery.

Original:

Final Cut:
Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<<

top buzz

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:56 am

nice one, the shot of the industrial building when the dove fly away bugged me the most in the old versions....
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:12 am

As Ridley Scott said to the art department when he first saw the backlot set, which they thought was ready to go, "It's a good start." :)

I think it would be more fun if I stay out of this, but I'll just confirm (since you asked) that the towers and spires atop the Tyrell Pyramid were indeed digitally created from scratch since the original optical details became a little mushy when newly scanned, especially at 8K resolution.

And although I thank you for the recognition, there was an entire team of very talented individuals from multiple companies responsible for generating many of these fixes. Those new restoration credits at the end aren't that long for nothing!
<<

Phantom

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:26 am

great thread
ImageImage

"THE NEWEST MACHINE IN THE WORLD WILL NEVER
MATCH THE HUMAN BEING."

-Ayrton Senna-
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:59 am

Here's my original Final Cut thread, I have many differences listed in it:

http://www.bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 87&start=0

And don't forget the end credits were redone.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:47 pm

top buzz wrote:nice one, the shot of the industrial building when the dove fly away bugged me the most in the old versions....

I like how there still is a suggestion of dawn breaking through the clouds. It's still cloudy and miserable but there is light streaming in a little.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:50 pm

deleted wrote:And don't forget the end credits were redone.

Yes, but why was that "Soundtrack available on Polygram Records" blurb not yanked from the end credits? Especially when probably at that point they knew a 25th Anniversary Vangelis release was coming. Shouldn't there have been accurate information about the soundtrack put into the credits, along with the restoration team information? Seeing as both the beginning and end credits were completely redone?

That was an odd thing to overlook.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:09 pm

msgeek wrote:
deleted wrote:And don't forget the end credits were redone.

Yes, but why was that "Soundtrack available on Polygram Records" blurb not yanked from the end credits? Especially when probably at that point they knew a 25th Anniversary Vangelis release was coming. Shouldn't there have been accurate information about the soundtrack put into the credits, along with the restoration team information? Seeing as both the beginning and end credits were completely redone?

That was an odd thing to overlook.

Maybe its one of those "beloved mistakes".
-Ridley Scott
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:16 pm

You're kidding, right? ;)

The old Polydor credit wasn't overlooked. Believe me. It was simply a contractual artifact from 1982 that we couldn't get around. And no, at the time the new credits were done, we didn't know what the status was of Vangelis' new Blade Runner Trilogy soundtrack. From our perspective, the new soundtrack just kind of happened at the 11th hour, a full two months after we had delivered all final content for the disc.
<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:And although I thank you for the recognition, there was an entire team of very talented individuals from multiple companies responsible for generating many of these fixes. Those new restoration credits at the end aren't that long for nothing!

Oh I know, everyone worked very hard on this project and clearly the results show off that hard and dedicated labor.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:You're kidding, right? ;)

It was simply a contractual artifact from 1982 that we couldn't get around.

Well, half-kidding. :D

That's a fascinating bit of contractual affairment. Kind of how what-their-name has the rights to a Fallout MMORPG but it will never happen...
-Ridley Scott
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:50 pm

Two things I noticed not on your list, Sam!

1.There's also a bit of added dialogue when Bryant tells Deckard about Leon's abilities during the Replicant details vids.

2.The introduction of Pris walking down the street to the Bradbury building shows and overhead view and a new matte-painting of the city below the level she is walking on. (I don't remember this shot from from the Director's Cut.)

I thought the extended scene with the masked dancers was great; the music/ambient sound accompanying it was a bit creepy. It captured the mood of the seedy district well.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:And no, at the time the new credits were done, we didn't know what the status was of Vangelis' new Blade Runner Trilogy soundtrack. From our perspective, the new soundtrack just kind of happened at the 11th hour, a full two months after we had delivered all final content for the disc.

Oh now I REALLY feel dumb. According to Amazon.Com, the label the album has come out on is...wait for it...

POLYDOR. Which is now an imprint of Universal Music Group, normally used for reissue releases, but apparently someone at Uni had a sly sense of humor and released the album on the label mentioned in the end credits.

I thought the label was dead! Oh well, shows you what someone who lives in Los Angeles and has been an observer of the music scene since the late 1970s knows.

So the credit is 100% accurate. And Ms. Geek's face is red. :oops:
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Noneoftheabove wrote:2.The introduction of Pris walking down the street to the Bradbury building shows and overhead view and a new matte-painting of the city below the level she is walking on. (I don't remember this shot from from the Director's Cut.)

I think you're getting that shot confused from what you saw in the Deleted and Alternate Scenes section. Rather, that's what it sounds like to me.

Sam, you have to include the newly-added background behind the Tyrell buidling when Deckard and Gaff are landing. (the shot right before the shot of Ford inside the Tyrell building while still in the spinner)
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:52 pm

what a fantastic thread guys.

due to a new business venture im going into, im after some help compiling an article in the new year - the first will be the final cut, but the second will be an indepth look at the extras/deleted scenes.

is there anybody here who is up for the job? you dont have to be an expert coder as long as you can type and have a good keen eye for details. perhaps even a forum effort ?
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut