Library of Congress?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Library of Congress?

This is probably a question for Charles, if he's heard anything along these lines. I'm wondering about the archival version of BR in the National Film Registry. Obviously, this would be an older print, so can Warners send them one of the newly restored prints from 1982...or is there any question that the FC should be the print stored for posterity? I don't know how this works.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Good question. I believe it was actually the 1992 Director's Cut that was inducted into the NFR, but I'll look into it after the holidays. At the very least, it would be nice to have the 1982 Theatrical Cut and the 2007 Final Cut archived as well.

The big problem is that all of the work done on the archival versions was limited to HD, so there are no newly-restored prints of those versions. Only The Final Cut got that treatment this time around.
<<

NMMan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:37 pm

Consulting my trusty copy of "Future Noir", Paul Sammon mentioned that "Blade Runner" was inducted into the Library of Congress on December 14, 1993, which would indeed be the Director's Cut. 8)
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:54 pm

So does the National Film Registry actively look for culturally significant films, or are there petitions from fans or filmmakers that get the ball rolling?

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut