FAQ  •  Login

25th aniversary 3 CD sound track..

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

nexuszix

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:15 am

25th aniversary 3 CD sound track..

Anyone got their copy yet ?

Mine was supposedly posted by PLAY.COM on the 8th (allow 3-5 days it said) but still no bloody sign of it :evil:
" wake up..time to die !"
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: 25th aniversary 3 CD sound track..

nexuszix wrote:Anyone got their copy yet ?
Mine was supposedly posted by PLAY.COM on the 8th (allow 3-5 days it said) but still no bloody sign of it :evil:

Exactly the same here: Posted on the 8th. Since then: Nothing. The door to our mailbox gets worn out by me, to no avail...
<<

top buzz

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:12 pm

yes I got it allready last week. I really like the 2nd cd. There is some music on it from the film on it that have never been released before.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:22 pm

I'll have it the 19th.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Predrhone

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:08 pm

The one review on Amazon reads that it leaves much to be desired, as it may very well be composed by Vangelis, but there is very little of the music that was actually in the film. I still plan on buying it, but that's disheartening to say the least. :cry:
"I will wait for you, until the sky is blue. I will wait for you, what else can I do?"
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:18 pm

Predrhone wrote:The one review on Amazon reads that it leaves much to be desired, as it may very well be composed by Vangelis, but there is very little of the music that was actually in the film. I still plan on buying it, but that's disheartening to say the least. :cry:

I just added my review of it, which is a little more positive.

The review that gave it two stars came of as very angry and too-emotionally-driven for me to consider useful, so I wrote what I could.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Chris

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:29 am

I was hoping to hear the piece where Deckard enters the Bradbury on the set. There is some jazzy ethereal quality to that i like a lot. Also a disappointment that Deckard vs Roy was cut several minutes short as there are very nice bell-like tones and weird deep cat-like whaling sounds all throughout.

On a good note for Disc 2, Empty Streets, Mechanical Dolls and Unveiled Twinkling Space are my favored tracks. Mechanical Dolls is just errie and pretty.

Disc 3 is different, it definitely pays homage to the sound of Blade Runner with some modern twists.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:13 am

Finally the mailbox wasn't empty this morning!
Guess I have a little date tonight with my earphones and disc 2... ;-)
<<

nexuszix

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:35 am

martinland wrote:

Finally the mailbox wasn't empty this morning!
Guess I have a little date tonight with my earphones and disc 2... ;-)

Me too :D

Hmmm Ive just skimmed thru most of the tracks on CD 2&3 and if i'm honest its a bit disappointing.... :?

One of my most fav bits of music can be heard right at the start of the Philip k Dick section on DVD 4... basically the prelude to the love theme..
why this isnt on any of the audio CDs is criminal !
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but I was just listening to Katherine Haber's commentary on the FC, and she says cryptically, "I think Vangelis now, if he could, would've wanted to do the soundtrack." I take this to mean that he was perhaps prevented from releasing it rather than our usual assumption that he refused to. Thoughts?
<<

nexuszix

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:23 am

Super geeky fact ... the music used at the start of the P.K.Dick section ('Inception' on DVD4) is a tiny excerpt from prelude to the love theme except pitch shifted down 1 semi tone :o

If they can do that then why couldnt they put that music ,in its entireity, on the 3CD trilogy... :?:
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:39 pm

nexuszix wrote:Super geeky fact ... the music used at the start of the P.K.Dick section ('Inception' on DVD4) is a tiny excerpt from prelude to the love theme except pitch shifted down 1 semi tone

Cool.

It's my impression that there are a lot of musical tracks by Vangelis as underscore in 'Dangerous Days' alone (I haven't received the other discs yet) that haven't/could've been released in this quality. Wow.

Where did you get these tracks from, Charles?
I suppose from extensive music-only elements provided by Vangelis just recently or even earlier in time for creating the final mix for the movie?

I'm not through with listening to the 3-disc Vangelis release yet,

[insert]

and will post my impressions maybe as early as Saturday (in a nutshell, I like it: Three parts that are musically a whole, not a 1:1 representation of the film - if I want the soundtrack as it appears directly on the rolls of film itself I listen to 'Esper Edition' anyway - starting with the now classic, lyrical dystopian futuristic Vangelis music on disc 1, followed by 'the modernistic/experimental' side of the same on disc 2, which is presented as a unique new musical vision in a dare I say non-commercial way. This is finally topped by the totally new, cool and current interpretations of all this on disc 3, with plenty of fascinating musical quotes and guest appearances),

[/insert]

but I found this interesting bit:

Ridley's "Ridley signing off" at the end of Track #2 "Up and Running" could be taken from an audio commentary, could it not?

I listened to his commentaries on Alien 20th Anniversary and Alien Quadrilogy, but found something similar only on the commentary track to Blade Runner Final Cut. At the end of that track, as most of you will have heard already, he just says, nonchalantly and totally cool, "signing of...".

Haven't compared the intonation, but "Ridley" is missing anyway. So it's probably not that bit (alone).

Strrrange.

;-)
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:11 pm

Desolation Path is the best track on CD 2, but even then it was slightly shortened. I think I would've been satisfied if they had the "I am the business" track in its complete form. That's my favorite cue throughout the film.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:28 pm

martinland wrote:I'm not through with listening to the 3-disc Vangelis release yet, but I found this interesting bit:
Ridley's "Ridley signing off" at the end of Track #2 "Up and Running" could be taken from an audio commentary, could it not?

OK, now I know: I listened to everything and, lo and behold, it's from a message Ridley left on Vangelis' answering machine/cell phone/Esper/whatever (I guess, but since he also lifted the dialogue directly from the film for his 1994 album, everything seems possible), which is featured in its entirety in the middle of the track "No Expectation Boulevard".

This is so cool. Vangelis is the man.

I'm still trying to decipher it, could someone please help me out, this can't be quite right:

"Ah, Vangelis? This is a message from outer space, this is from Ridley. I'm 25 years away and here we are talking about the same subject (that would be? ???) October, November this year, and, ah, we're pretty beyond (?) to see each other more often, but (???maybe our spaceships would like to come together???) in the near future: I'm supposed to (meet/be?) back in (Hampton?). This is Ridley signing off and (I hope you can/to pick/back?) me up. Bye, bye."

What you think? Let's put on those headphones together and filter the message back out of the music... ;-) ;-) ;-)

This is pure fun!

Thanks,
Have a better one,
Martin
Last edited by martinland on Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:24 pm

eccentricbeing wrote:Desolation Path is the best track on CD 2, but even then it was slightly shortened. I think I would've been satisfied if they had the "I am the business" track in its complete form. That's my favorite cue throughout the film.

OK, I see what was shortened, nevermind.
-Ridley Scott
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut