FAQ  •  Login

25th aniversary 3 CD sound track..

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Aw, just feeling the weight and thickness of this release still in its shrinkwrap is a bittersweet intimation of what might have been... ;)

So far, I'm actually loving the subtle tracks on disc 2.

Odd--the liner notes have Vangelis' thanks, and then: "Jerry Perenchio and Bud Yorkin thank Jordan Cronenweth for his visionary cinematography on Blade Runner and Charles de Lauzirika for his valuable contributions to 'Blade Runner: The Final Cut'."

Nice thanks, but does that mean that they somehow have the rights to this music, too?
<<

nexuszix

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:21 am

" wake up..time to die !"
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:54 am

Could be a promo copy. Maybe not. Dunno...never seen it though.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:35 am

Vangelis - Blade Runner Trilogy - Countdown

Blade Runner Trilogy: 25th Anniversary Soundtrack is a new 3 CD release by Vangelis arriving in the stores in December 2007. Get all the latest news to this new exciting release from Vangelis.

http://zyser.blogspot.com/
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:27 am

Kipple wrote:Vangelis - Blade Runner Trilogy
http://zyser.blogspot.com/

The December 18 review of the 3-disc set says it all. That's exactly how I feel about it. So maybe I'll nix the plan to post my impressions tomorrow in a lengthy format, because I could not have expressed it any better.

We better keep discussing this mysterious voice mail to Vangelis by Ridley... ;-)

Boy, these are amazing times.

Martin
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:45 am

From that review, I strongly disagree with this statement regarding the first and third disc:

"And just as on the first disc, there are dialogs or spoken words here too, some incidental and some part of the musical plot, though never getting in the way of the music, and actually sometimes enhancing the experience."

And given that the reviewer doesn't cite a single disappointment or complaint on the entire three disc set--and the whole site is dedicated to the album--one does wonder about its objectivity. But I certainly agree with it in parts.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:00 pm

Finished listening to discs two and three now, and taken on its own terms, I genuinely love disc two, with the caveate that the new windsynth overlay on the final track is just plain annoying. Disc three is a very mixed bag for me--I found the the random and somewhat inane dialogue truly distracting, partly on account of the celebrities involved...and are those really Star Wars samples in "No Expectation Boulevard"??? Downright weird and certainly not in keeping with the world of BR.

But the third CD does have some nice moments, namely the sonic textures of "Mail from India," the jangled, surprising rhythms of "BR Downtown" and "Dimitri's Bar," the jazzy feel of "Sweet Solitude" (though it lacks originality), the lyrical atmosphere of "Spotkanie Z Matka," and my favorite, the meditative "Piano in an Empty Room."

Like disc one, I expect I'll listen to disc three a few more times and then forget that I own it...but disc two will probably be in rotation on my system for some time, and for that reason alone I'm pleased with my purchase.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:12 pm

deepysea wrote:From that review, I strongly disagree with this statement regarding the first and third disc:
"And just as on the first disc, there are dialogs or spoken words here too, some incidental and some part of the musical plot, though never getting in the way of the music, and actually sometimes enhancing the experience."

And given that the reviewer doesn't cite a single disappointment or complaint on the entire three disc set--and the whole site is dedicated to the album--one does wonder about its objectivity. But I certainly agree with it in parts.

Alright, OK, I see. You're welcome! :-)

I can only say that for me the positive so much outways the negative that I tend to agree with that overly positive review.

And: Of course he's not objective, who is? He loves it. Ever heard of objective love? LOL! :lol:

E.g. the only thing I asked myself those last days of constantly listening to disc 2 and 3 on headphones as well as with seven speakers:

The track titles lack the imaginative quality of the bootlegs, for example: Deckard and Roy's Duel in comparison to Wounded Animals. No chance, man.

...and Leo's Room is a typo in this otherwise marvelous packaging...

And that has nothing to do with the music... ;-) :lol:

Who knows?

Maybe I like positive vibes in life so much, that I tend to emphasize 'em. You never know how much time you have left.

Who does?

Signing off,
Martin
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:32 pm

I'm just saying there's a different between a "review" and a "promotion," and I'm not sure which this is.

For me, nothing is all-good or all-bad. Life is great because it's a combination of both. Like tears in rain (which I love). :)

I really wish the bootleg "Morning at the Bradbury" had been included rather than "Mechanical Dolls." But, really, I think the complexity and subtle moods of disc two are a knockout. No complaints here.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:12 am

deepysea wrote:I'm just saying there's a different between a "review" and a "promotion," and I'm not sure which this is.

I can see your point. To the writer's credit it's not an "official" review which claims to be objective (and the ones claiming this are sometimes even worse, only on the negative side, lacking/distorted facts and what have you - that's why I stopped reading newspapers btw, "professional" writing became unbearable to me)... :wink:

Have a better one,
Martin
<<

Phildeck

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:58 am

Has anybody got an idea about the music used on the Final Cut trailer ?...i think it's awesome !!!
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:11 am

Most of the music in the The Final Cut trailer is from Clint Mansell's score for The Fountain. The cue in question is "Tree of Life."
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:11 pm

martinland wrote:...and Leo's Room is a typo in this otherwise marvelous packaging...

Actually, the track is titled that, too, so I suspect it's a typo by Vangelis himself.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:51 pm

deepysea wrote:
martinland wrote:...and Leo's Room is a typo in this otherwise marvelous packaging...

Actually, the track is titled that, too, so I suspect it's a typo by Vangelis himself.

No. It was made by whoever was actually putting the CDs together.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Largo

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: 25th aniversary 3 CD sound track..

nexuszix wrote:
Hmmm Ive just skimmed thru most of the tracks on CD 2&3 and if i'm honest its a bit disappointing.... :?

One of my most fav bits of music can be heard right at the start of the Philip k Dick section on DVD 4... basically the prelude to the love theme..
why this isnt on any of the audio CDs is criminal !

You said it, nexuszix: "criminal" is the operative word IMHO when it comes to these so-called Blade Runner soundtrack CDs. I'll have to pass on this particular release. I already got burned once when I purchased the 1994 BR soundtrack album. To illustrate how I feel about all this, let's take the first track entitled "Main Title." We all know very well that it is not the main title -- it's Deckard yapping with his Esper machine. When the phrase "Main Title" is used, we expect to hear the music that is heard during the opening credits. For these soundtrack releases to state that track #1 is the "Main Title" is a gross misrepresentation. Sheesh, with this new release TPTB had the opportunity to put a stop to the bootleggers, but they blew it once again. Blast! :cry:
Rachael is smokin' !!!
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut