FAQ  •  Login

BR:FC DVD Reviews

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:45 am

martinland wrote:I appreciate your efforts enormously (being in the process of mastering, 3D-menu-animating, and authoring our first large scale animation-DVD myself. We almost followed your example: 6 years in the making).

Oh please let us know the particulars of how to order your DVD!!! I'm a MAJOR animation fan...my animation fan podcast, The Cartoon Geeks, will be recording tonight, and the October edition is still up for the download.

Here's where you can find it:
http://cartoongeeks.blogspot.com/.

Details please!
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:25 am

msgeek wrote:Here's where you can find it:
http://cartoongeeks.blogspot.com/.

Ah, thanks - I'll take a look. Just sent myself a reminder along these lines!

msgeek wrote:Details please!

Alright.

Hmm, 'normally' I like to do these kinds of animation (2D flip book, 3D character animation, etc.)...

http://martinland.mur.at/MEDIA_F_aL.html
http://martinland.mur.at/18ml/18ml_f.html

...but with the upcoming DVD it's roughly half an hour (we started with 40' worth and cut it down to about 26') of abstract/experimental/demo-style 3D animation around sculptures and numerology of the indigenous people living in New Ecuador (I was one of two animators, not the conceptual driving force, as with my stuff above):

http://www.inti.at/

The motion menus will allow you to fly through parts of the whole work and seamlessly pop in and out of chapters as well as study the 3d-symbols more closely...

...when it's done and gone to press I will be quite happy I can tell you (I'll create the frame-checked master from the locked animation in a couple of days actually)!

Have a better one,
Martin of the Martinland
<<

ghost of 82

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:41 pm

SPOILERS AHOY!

Here's a tease for you-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2007/11/26/b ... view.shtml

No details on the film, but a few sneaks regards the Dangerous Days doc.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:50 pm

"Scott's first cut ran four hours"...

:shock:
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:14 am

dmohrUSC wrote:"Scott's first cut ran four hours"...

Yeah, what you said...
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:09 am

I like how Sammon quotes Rawlings as sitting there with Scott a bit dazed after their first assembly, looking at each other and saying, 'It's marvelous, but what the f*ck does it all mean?' I think one of the things that makes BR great is the way the filmmakers are clearly working without ropes, and using the film's ambiguities and complexities to their own advantage.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:04 am

"Scott also has a giggle remembering Rutger Hauer turning up for his audition in a "puce jumpsuit and flowery, Elton John sunglasses."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

now who's the hero in Blade Runner?

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Planta wrote:"Scott also has a giggle remembering Rutger Hauer turning up for his audition in a "puce jumpsuit and flowery, Elton John sunglasses."

now who's the hero in Blade Runner?

Rutger the pimp, of course.
-Ridley Scott
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 am

Well.. just watched the DVD, unfortunately i was unable to attend the picturehouse in brixton to see the theatrical version.

i`ll do a DVD review over the next few days, though i`ll have to make my review far more in-depth that what we have read so far.

restoration work it tremendous, as is the edits/effects used to remove spinner wires and of course the zhora sequence and previous esper sequenve with zhora is fantastic. the extension to the animoid row sequence was a great added bonus, though i like many more im sure were kinda hoping for more extra footage.

I did notice a mistake on the audio track, it was like the audio cutting process had over run its time. after deckard quizzes racheal with his voight-kamph test there is a shot scene with deckard in a spinner and hes listening to the tape of leon and hold. I would assume that the conversation should have been the following -

Leon - Is that part of the test?
Holden - no.

what you can hear is holden say "No, jus....." and it sounds aweful. the audible sound of "jus" was clearly heard when i had headphones on, though when i replayed via my dolby digital amp, i didnt hear it, most probably because it was makes by the sound of rain/background noise.

small things like the vid phone etc do not go un-noticed, and certainly, because of the hi-res detail etc. the things you notice this time round are over whelming. I was pleasantly surprised to see a different scene for the dove shot as opposed to the scene i believe i saw on utube - upped by warner. this scene is far more fitting, was ambient amounts of rain etc.

what i have to remember is that this is a restoration project, with extras all packed onto another disc, so viewers must not be disheartened to find this old favorite is not 90 mins longer. take it for what it is, an all time great classic that had the makeover of its life.

gary
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:10 pm

I'm a big fan of DVD Times in the UK, and their review of the FC is the best I've seen so far:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66485
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:02 am

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:10 am

eccentricbeing wrote:Digitalbits reviews the US set.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bladerunnerfinalallver01.html

Thanks you!! They're through as always.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:42 am

Goes to show how ambiguous the film can be since the reviewer, even though a long time BR fan, states that the replicants have implanted emotions and memories to make them seem more realistic.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:19 am

deepysea wrote:http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66485

great review, but please someone tell the man they're called Michael DEELEY, Jordan CRONENWETH and Mike FENTON! :evil:
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:51 am

Fantastic advance review from digitalbits, thanks for posting! For those of us "across the pond" who haven't seen the DVD set yet, those screen captures are utterly mindblowing...a picture truly does speak a thousand words :D

(Side note: I just want to send out a personal thank-you to the surviving members of Led Zeppelin for re-forming, and the Indiana Jones team for putting out a new poster of the upcoming movie, in order to distract us BZ yokels and lessen our anxiousness over the Ultimate Collection's U.S. release! ONE MORE WEEK, MY FELLOW AMERICAN BLADEZONERS!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!)

Oh, and the laugh of my week? So one month ago my wife and I drove all the way from Madison, WI to Chicago, IL just to see the FC on the big screen. 5-hour round trip. Awesome experience, but I had to convince my wife that this was quite possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I'd never have again to see the FC projected in the theater. So, over this past weekend, I'm sitting at the computer in the den, and my wife is in the living room flipping thru our local weekly here, and she calls out (not unkindly), "hey honey, did you know that as of this weekend, BR-FC is playing at the Westgate movie theater in Madison?" :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut