FAQ  •  Login

Which BRFC DVD Edition will you buy?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

Which BRFC DVD Edition will you buy?

BR THE FINAL CUT SPECIAL EDITION (2-DISC)
2%
BR COLLECTOR'S EDITION (4-DISC)
5%
BR ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION (5-DISC)
71%
BR HD-DVD / BLU-RAY EDITION (5-DISC)
21%

Total votes : 56
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:25 am

Without a doubt, I'll be getting the full whistle & bell version of BR that comes with all the extra trinkets.

And if it works out and I can get a good affordable HD player to go along with my new HD TV, I'll be getting the HD version of the BR Ultimate set.

I'll avoid Blu-ray for awhile even though it may be cutting edge... But my HDTV puts out 720p/1080i, Blu-ray would be a waste of money on my setup.
<<

HoldenUnplugged

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:30 am

Sorry i'm confused I have Sony hdtv 1080 tv what a blu ray player will not take advantage of that?

From what Read blu ray will look great on hdtv am i wrong?
Please set me straight on this.
Deckard: I don't work here anymore. Give it to Holden. He's good.

Bryant: I did. He can breathe okay as long as nobody unplugs him.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:17 am

HoldenUnplugged wrote:Sorry i'm confused I have Sony hdtv 1080 tv what a blu ray player will not take advantage of that?

From what Read blu ray will look great on hdtv am i wrong?
Please set me straight on this.

Standard DVD resolution is 720p. The guy is talking about how his HDTV will only do 720p/1080i. The lower-case p stands for "progressive" which is like how a computer screen works. All the pixels get pushed out at once, and you have an effective refresh rate of 60 frames per second. The lower-case i stands for "interlaced" which works like a standard TV, with odd lines refreshed on the first pass and even lines refreshed on the second pass, with a refresh rate of 30 frames per second. (29.96 or something like that, actually)

Interlacing is bad for resolution. In movies, it also gives you nasty flicker. An interlaced 1080 pixel picture actually is 540 lines of resolution for all practical purposes. Most TVs now sold as HDTV can do 1080p which is true 1080 pixel resolution. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are 1080p native resolution.

Now, a 2K theatrical projector can do 2160p, and the Sony 4K system can do 4320p. Blade Runner: The Final Cut was mastered at 4320p, hence the 4K designation. (Some shots, primarily FX shots, were mastered at twice bit depth and reduced to work in 4320p.) The 2K Technicolor Cinema Package version of BR:FC was reduced by half in bit depth.

That said, I must say that seeing it at Santa Barbara's Arlington Theatre in 2K bit depth with a Kodak Cinema Systems/DLP engine system was absolutely divine. I couldn't tell you the difference between how it looked in SB on a 2K system vs. at The Landmark in West Los Angeles on a Sony 4K system. I must be a Philistine. :wink: The superior sound system in SB sort of helped too...perhaps I missed some of the cues that the visuals were suffering because the sound system was so much better than in West LA.

Hope this clears a few things up...Ms. Geek
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

ghost of 82

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:11 pm

Don't want to get caught in a technospeak argument, but surely 720 is HD not SD? DVD (and SD) resolution varies from the NTSC standard of 480, to PAL which is 576. HD starts at 720 (a bigger leap for NTSC regions than PAL but still discernable) and goes up to a current max of 1080, whether it be 1080i or 1080p. The first HD sets had 720 standard and higher-quality sets had 1080i... now the 1080p max is becoming the norm. HD-DVD and BluRay discs usually offer films in 1080p which the HD sets convert per their display settings/capabilities.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:13 pm

msgeek wrote:[...]

gosh... msgeek, you recall me of Tyrell speaking to Roy... :shock:
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:26 pm

Planta wrote:gosh... msgeek, you recall me of Tyrell speaking to Roy... :shock:

They don't call me Ms. Geek for nothing!!! Heh! :lol:
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 am

It makes perfect sense if you think about it, see. I don't know how anybody can't understand this! A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established. Any cells that have undergone reversion mutations give rise to revertant colonies like rats leaving a sinking ship. Then the ship sinks.
Ethyl methane sulfonate as an alkylating agent and potent mutagen. The repressive protein that blocks the operating cells wouldn't obstruct replication, but it does give rise to an error in replication so that the newly formed DNA strand carries the mutation and you've got a virus again!!!

See, it all makes perfect sense.

But, uh, this... all of this is academic. :wink:

In other news, 3 days left until R2 UCE comes out!!! :P
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:08 am

What motivated me to say I would not be buying the Blu-Ray version of Blade Runner was the fact that I do not have an HDtv capable of putting out the superior 1080p resolution. My understanding is that it would be a waste of money to buy a Blu-Ray player when I do not have the hardware to make the most of it. For my situation I would be better off with High Def DVDs since my HDtv supports 720p as it's native resolution.
<<

HoldenUnplugged

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:22 am

I see thanks to the above replies for setting me straight

Goddam the 24th of dec cannot come fast enough for me!
(thats supposedly when I will get my sets from Amazon.com)
Deckard: I don't work here anymore. Give it to Holden. He's good.

Bryant: I did. He can breathe okay as long as nobody unplugs him.
<<

ghost of 82

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Crikey mate I can't imagine how you can last until the 24th... with a little luck I should get my set in the morning, or failing that, most likely Monday. Even that is getting a bit unbearable, after 25 years a few days should hardly matter, but... well, I'm sure you can imagine.

My mate Andy who saw the film with me back in Sept 82 is all set to dash over tommorrow night, when we plan to devour the set over several hours celebrating the greatest film ever made. :D
<<

Mr.Origami

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:42 am

Right now my preordered Ultimate Collector's edition is reported to be in the dispatching process. I hope they will dispatch it as stated in the order estimated date.
Countdown has started....
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:11 am

Mr.Origami wrote:Right now my preordered Ultimate Collector's edition is reported to be in the dispatching process. I hope they will dispatch it as stated in the order estimated date.
Countdown has started....

mine's started about 12 years ago (when i saw it the first time) :lol:

anyway, still nothing from Amazon to my email... :cry:

how i'm friggin' guys... can't believe it yet
<<

Mr.Origami

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:13 pm

The Ultimate collector's edition has been dispatched and it's on the way.
The estimated day of delivering is 11 of december (if the box set has been really dispatched as stated in the email).
Just 9 days to wait (or less I hope).
<<

Mr.Origami

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:41 am

I GOT IT!

ONE DAY BEFORE THE ESTIMATED DATE!!!!!

This is my Christmas present to myself!
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Just called Warner Home Video, and they haven't shipped mine yet. Dammit!
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut